Read 49 comments as:
Filter By
Which place serves better chaat? I like Mumbai sev puri more. But Delhi papri chaat and dahi bhallas are supreme.
Lul Banglur has negligible street food scene. I couldn't find anything open at 11pm in MG Road - Brigade Road, I shudder to think about less sparser areas.

Pub scene and tiffin scene is excellent though.
Whoever downvoted this has no idea what they are doing in their lives.

Kolkata has the cheapest and best fastfood I've ever had - and I'm from Gujarat. Takes a lot for a Gujarat to accept that.
Sorry boss, Gujarat (at least Ahmedabad) had the blandest street food. No spice only.
Totally true. Fight all you want about NUJS or NLS etc etc. But Cal has all other cities beat in food.
In the world of Delhi versus Bombay, be a Lucknowite. The modern version of chaat originated from Uttar Pradesh. Try Lucknow chaat and you will forget everything else.
That's a bit rich coming from someone who lives in a city whose politicians have rioted for Bombay's name to be changed to Mumbai - multiple times and have done the same also if someone mentions their city by its older name in a movie.

Wasn't Victoria Terminus changed to Chhatrapati Shivaji?

It's always interesting how such charges of chauvinism are kept reserved for certain northern states.
How did you conclude that the person is from Mumbai? I am curious to know.
They could be from Delhi as well, or any other metropolitan city in the country. Doesn't necessarily have to be Mumbai. My point would still apply.

The original commenter's place of origin wouldn't really change the substance of what I said - has Delhi not renamed an entire host of places/roads that fall within its territory?

As I said, a bit odd that people (most likely belonging to Tier I cities) only take examples from certain states in such threads, acting as if the politics behind renaming older institutions/roads/cities hasn't caused the greatest violence in their own cities.
If you survive Bisht's police and gunda squad long enough for that, Lucknow food scene is to die for (figuratively).
I wish you would have seen the scenario before 2017 then you would have understood.
Lucknow chaats are so bad, they shouldn't be included in the discussion even. In Lucknow, they just put colourful bhujiya, sweet chutney and be happy about it.

We can actually add Agra, Kolkata and Jodhpur to this discussion. Varanasi too, not for anything fancy but just because of the crustness of their kachoris.
That's done by people who haven't been to Kolkata and sampled the food scene here.
Jodhpur's food scene altogether is very over-rated, the worst chaat i had was from Jodhpur only.
You are obviously deluded, or you don't know the right places in Lucknow for chaat.
Haha the number of people downvoting such an innocent and harmless comment, tells a lot about the type of people visiting here.
While I prefer Mumbai as a city - primarily because of the people, the liveliness and the sea - I really find Mumbai's street food overrated. If I had to eat bread and vegetarian - why would I even go out? Ghar pe hi khaa lun

Also, out of general curiosity - white bread as a part of local food - is it a British legacy? Because I've personally never seen white bread being a part of any other local Indian cuisine (we have our Indian variants of roti, kulcha, luchi, naan etc. usually).

https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/193793-Chaat-Del-v-Mum#
Actually more than bread the pao is Mumbai's favourite, which is the influence of the Portugese who held much of Bombay before the British. The white bread may have been the British influence.
Bhai mere, chaat ki baat ho rahi hai. Mughlai food ki nahi. Nobody disputes Jama Masjid ke paas ka food scene.
Kebab's of Matiamahal (Jama Masjid) are overrated. Most of the famous eateries serve just one kind of it- Seekh Kebabs. It's hard to find good Kakori, Shami, Galawati and Majlisi kebab there.