Read 46 comments as:
Filter By
CNLU participated in the rankings but could not make it to the top 30. It was the only NLU to participate and not come in the top 30. What are your thoughts?
How do you know CNLU participated? If true, then it is big news and the VC must answer.
If you open the NIRF law rankings, there is a link to 'list of participating institutions' on the same page. CNLU is on there. You can just search with keyword 'national' to see which NLUs participated.
Last year I was getting CNLU in vacancies but took Nirma instead. Dodged a bullet IG.
There's a good 50-50 chance Nirma too might have find it outside the top 30. Can't be sureshot a bet.
Good decision. Especially the location, that as well gives an edge to Nirma over CNLU.
CNLU has a massive problem with regards to their administration, being in Bihar also does not help (bad funding of educational institutions) and tbh the standard of students especially the ones who enter via Domicile reservation) is bad. The infrastructure is also nothing special and the overall quality of faculty as I have heard is very abysmal.

While I have heard from folks that their internship and placement cell is now operational and they have decided to diversify by creating an ADR centre.

A very big factor is the attitude of the students, there are a lot more job opportunities than just competitive exams folks, the attitude that "oh I don't care about placements and the image of my Uni as that does not mater while preparing for competitive exams" is very bad and should change so that the perception of prospective employers that CNLU is just a judge making factory can change.

RML also used to suffer from this same issue but they got over it, but tbh most of the lower NLUs do due to lack of job and internship opportunities.

Also, Till the time CNLU does not get a good permanent VC and Registrar alongside admin things won't change.

Note: I am by no means trying to say a that judicial services is not a good career option or that it is somehow inferior to other options.
Standard of students is never bad if you can provide good faculty and decent admin support. I speak as a part time law faculty myself. If any student is willing to dedicate five years of their time to become a good lawyer, good faculty and admin can turn them into such.
There is a serious problem of groupism thing whenever any dispute often a (groupism) of particular people ensues. This all makes a toxic environment. Besides this faculty, ICC, ADC, MCC is best and all other research centres. Many people have won international moots and debates.
Some of them don't work at all (don't get jobs). It's NLU for name sake.
I am saying that they attempt all these competitive exams and if they don't succeed, they end up litigating in HC and lower courts.
Lol, have you checked it or you just are presenting assumptions as facts!
In law firm like AZB, CAM, SAM etc but most people want to pursue judiciary.
Some hero on some other thread is arguing.

Choose 'any NLU' over a private institution.
Koi bhi college ko NLU tag de do, some guys will be like "NLU over private" anytime.
Some "guys" u mean recruiters, seniors, policy advocates, foreign law firms or universities? Coz yeah, that's what it is. Doesn't mean anything to any of us in the long run, but yeah, let us go on with this boring conversation. This space, the fact that this LI is fucking around, all tells the story that it doesn't matter. We can go in and in and in, but there is no doubt that if it is a tier 1 job that u r looking at, you have no chance of competing with the big Ns. But, if it is tier 1 u r looking at to be happy in as partner, simple stats will show u that is up for grabs.
Even NLOU isn't in top 30 I guess, although I've heard they're doing decent with moots and placememts too. Very abysmal from the so called National Institutes. Even RML and RG at 15, 16 and NUALS well inside 20s puts the NLU narrative at question for sure
NLU-O is indeed in the top 30, sitting at #18 above NLUJAA (#20), NUALS (#26 - not inside 20s as you say) and DSNLU (#28).
Well, that is technically correct, but then literally all the universities except the one at #30 are at the very least within the 20s, no?
Certainly not you, I guess. Whether you like it or not, they are still an NLU.
That's true. Even I can read it, as it states DS'NLU'. But still, it's not worth an NLU.

Bass, name me NLU jur jane se kuch zyada ukhad nahi jata. Aisa hota toh NLUJA and NLU Ranchi bhi abhi compete kar raha hota.
It's an NLU no doubt, but just for name sake it's NLU. It's like, government notifying that Cow will be called a Tiger from today (just saying)

But in actual sense, it will be cow only.
The only flaw in the logic here is: the cow will exist irrespective of the law stating anything; the cow is not constituted by the law, and hence not defined by the law. NLUs on the other hand are literally defined by the law as a creation of the law.
If the cow exists and is not called a cow, does it still exist as a cow? Similarly, if NLU exists as a university, but is not called an NLU, does it still exist as an NLU? Will LI readers still obsess about it? All very metaphysical questions to ponder.
But aren't all NIRF Ratings stupid considering how it has IIT Kharagpur on the 4th number which has a LLB course that started not to long ago and not even among the preferences of students. I personally find that list arbitrary and downright nonsensical with KIIT coming in top 10 schools
Rankings are like that. All of them can be hacked by working on a plan that need not have much to do with institutional excellence. Be it QS, Times, or NIRF. KIIT faculty and PhD students for example are required to publish at least one SCOPUS paper every year and like Jindal, are given incentives for each one. That fetches them more points even if nobody reads any of those papers or no student lands a job from campus placement.
But, isn't nirf ranking just a rigged, I mean they are ranking Punjab University, JMI and KIIT over CNLU.