Read 146 comments as:
Filter By
I am typing this in the hope that Mr J Sai Deepak reads Legally India and will respond in person. If not, at least his supporters (especially those who are campaigning on Twitter to have his new book added to the UGC/BCI syllabus).

JSD's new book "India That is Bharat: Coloniality Continuity, Constitution" is turning out to be a major ideological flashpoint. Professor Priyamvada Gopal from Cambridge and Professor Dibyesh Anand have tweeted the back cover of the book and slammed those professors who have endorsed it, especially Professor Walter Mignolo from Duke. According to Gopal, JSD is trying to replace Macaulayism with Brahmanism. Gopal has also pointed out that all the endorsers of the book are men.

https://twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/status/1431169841621315588
https://twitter.com/dibyeshanand/status/1431169087023947776

I must express my solidarity with Professor Gopal and Professor Anand. I don't have an issue with the lack of female or queer endorsers, or with the conservatism of Professor Mignolo, but with the central argument that JSD makes, which can be seen in the page below (tweeted by JSD himself, so no copyright issue):

Obviously, the central flaw in this argument is the assumption that there is such a thing as "Bharat" and "Indic" civilisation. It is nothing but a carbon copy of the argument that Veer Savarkar makes in his writings. Also, a constitution is a document that lays out rights of the citizen and the federal governance structure. It has little to do with civilisation and history and more to do with governance and socio-economic development. In other words, it is unnecessary to drag in the constitution in a debate on "native" versus "colonial" values, both of which are contested terms in the first place. The other issue is that of "Bharat" having "agency" to define itself? Who says it does not? Who is denying "Bharat" this agency?

Most of all, I strongly object to the campaign to include this book in the UGC/BCI syllabus. For a law syllabus, one must stick to books like DD Basu, Shukla, MP Jain etc for an understanding of the Constitution. It is irrelevant and unnecessary to drag this book into the syllabus. Also, JSD has no academic credentials.

It will be most unfortunate if any NLUs adopt this book in their syllabus.

I have given my views respectfully and hope responses will also be in polite language.
You are so wrong! GNLU first-year students reviewed the first draft of the book as part of their language course.
It did not rebut or question anything in the original criticism - only the critique.. :)

~ R
Nor did comment 3 have anything to do with the original post. It was just an attempt to divert attention away from the topic.
It's a reasonable critique and he states it politely. "hatred' is an interesting choice of word. Supposing JSD looks at medical practise from his PoV of Hindu Dharma, would anyone lobby to make it part of medical curriculum? 'bharath civilization' cannot be forcibly slapped on just abt anything. He's very forceful, leaves no quater to any other PoV but that's exactly the appeal I guess.
dude medical curriculum and law is totally different fields , that's a baseless comparison but JS Deepak is compelling a necessary kick on the face of sleeping and delusional section of Indian population to have their right perspective of looking at things and pov imposed on them by the left .
Sai is one of the sharpest young intellectuals in the country and also one of the bravest, for defending viewpoints that are unfashionable and make him hated by the liberal elite and woke youth, such as non-entry of girls in Sabarimala, CAA, Article 370 etc. You may disagree with him but you cannot question his knowledge of the law and style of argumentation. Mark my words, he will be elevated as a senior by the Supreme Court much ahead of some fancy NLU grads of the same age.
I can and do question his appreciation of the spirit of the law and the constitution both.
He's also a men'r rights activist, so I disagree with everything you've said
On the contrary, since 2014, it has become very fashionable to make wide ranging and broad generalizations with little evidence. He is a hero of the times, not hero because he is rebelling against the times.
A huge war is gonna break out if the book is taught in NLUs. I suspect the plan is to first include it in obscure NLUs like Sonipat and Assam through the BJP governments there, then go up to RMLNLU, then NLUJ. After that, make NLSIU and NALSAR a flashpoint if they refuse to include it and say all other NLUs are teaching it.
NLUs do not have a common syllabus. They never did. Mostly it is left to the individual faculty.
It tells you something about the country that J Sai Deepak's book is at #1 and Kaushik Basu's book is at #10.

It also tells you something about the Asian Age that it has marked this book as non-fiction.
Sai Deepak is popular because he encourages playing the victim card.
It's only a 'victim card', if a Hindu plays it. Conveniently ignorant.
This book is getting a lot of traction on social media and RWs are lobbying like anything to include it in the law syllabus. All eyes on Manan Mishra to see if he does it.
Currently there is no book that is part of the common syllabus for all law schools. Not even those written by stalwarts like DD Basu.
You obviously can't have a comprehensive debate with a decontextualized single page. Legal education 101 says you have to take the 'whole' of the text to make sense of it. Come back when you have completed the entire book.
>Also, JSD has no academic credentials

THIS is the exact problem I have with the "authors" of this age, writing their opinions like facts without any references or citations. The logical jumps and inconsistencies in most of these books are too damn high
Also if citations would be provided then people would be cynical about sources cited in the book. it all about cynicism for particular thing.
You clearly haven't read the book. He actually has added citations to give weight to his opinion.
JSD has openly invited to openly challenge his claims. You can give it a try
He is the probably the topmost intellectual in India today among conservatives.
he's alright but you need to find better Indic / RW intellectuals my friend:
1. Arun Shourie
2. David Frawley
3. Sankrant Sanu
4. S.L. Bhyrappa

To name a few.
Also please read Ambedkar, Periyar and M.N. Roy. You will be shocked how close they are to sane (non-fringe/non-BJP) modern conservative Indian thought.
Ambedkar = learned lawyer and scholar

Periyar = charlatan and demagogue

MN Roy = communist

I know who to read and who to ignore.
Lol, you are either kidding or you are JSD himself posting under anonymity. He may be a bright guy but to call him an intellectual is a stretch of imagination. Came to know from very close circles that the guy is applying for a Senior Advocate designation and all this outpouring of Hindutva ideas could potentially be an attempt to please the powers to be :D
Amongst conservatives? Who are the other conservative intellectuals?
1. Structures which permit states to tax and control temples deny the Indics agency of self determination.

2. Structures which permit the state to interfere in traditions solely on the basis of western concepts which are alien to Indic cultures......

3. Structures which fail to stop the juggernaut of predatory proselytization and conversion rackets.....

4. Structures that have failed to stop the plunder of historical knowledge and artifacts belong to the Indics....

I could go on and on, but neither do we need validation from you, nor would your hatred for Indic agency and love for western civilisation go away.
1. Structures created by people for the people have given right to the states to tax and control temples. It doesn't deny self determination.
2. There is no harm in using the values given by Western world if those values are humanising and results in better human experience. Argument of being alien to Indic way is not a solid argument.
3. Structures giving right to profess every religion including your own religion can't be taken away in garb of "forced conversions".
4. Plunder of Indian artifacts doesn't seems to have connection with Constitution.
If by love of Western civilization, if you mean love of liberty equality and fraternity is bad, then you must tell me what are the Indic alternatives of them (assuming we even need them)?
1)why tax only hindu temples? Not other community? They have money too aka zakat, or 1/10 of income which Christan gave in church....

can Hindus establish their education boards like muslim & Christan , under gurukul can a temple deside where it's money should be spent? Like other institutions of other community...aka masid (zakat)

why RTE apply apply only to hindu controlled institutions?

stollen jewellery & artifacts under govt control temple is no joke...
Take away all the money that temples, mosques, churches have. They only use that to make the people associated with these places rich.
A 47-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
There's hardly any criticism in this post. The first sentence itself - disagreeing that Bharat as an idea and as a civilization shows how much ignorance is steeped in the post. It's a consequence of accepting the Aryan Immigration/Invasion theories both of which are mere speculation, and even the great Dr.Ambedkar had refuted these views citing various scholars from this land. A lesser read work of Babasaheb. Various regional writers from early 90s have shown that linguistic refutations are enough to dismiss the theory, those works unfortunately aren't popular.

It is very much necessary to scrutinize the Indian constitution because in the aftermath of the final accepted version of this constitution, there is documented proof that Dr.Ambedkar was aghast at the final product and even dismissive of it in certain ways because the intentions he had at drafting it were completely lost in the process. So it reeks of colonial impositions that have no business existing in a document that represents the Dharmic land.

Bharat has always been the most accommodating and any unity that was necessary came about through the padayatra of Bhagavatpada Shankaracharya in the 7th century itself. The unity that was established was never at the behest of other existing traditions but also encompassed, in a philosophical sense, any future system that may arise at any point of time. Secularity promised way back when other civilizations were fighting over nonsense.

We now live at the peak of dualistic hatred, and a major section of the society is fighting for their rights, and shouting for inclusivity, and if the current generation aren't astute enough to recognize that the liberalness we speak of has existed since time immemorial, then it only shows how dishonest their lives are. Colonial literature always dismisses this greatness and tries to hide such literature because they want to claim whatever good India has had is because of invasion and the constitution, which is outright laughable.

Keeping aside micro problems for a moment, people have to acknowledge that(at least intellectually) there is a philosophical system that proclaims that 'YOU' are necessarily God, and that there is no distinction among us all. Also specifically says how everybody is eligible and can attain liberation right in this life. No other philosophy says this as far I'm aware. Not many are even aware that such a system, native to India exists! This is exactly why an Indic Renaissance is very much necessary and the ginormous number of books that are related to Dharma should be brought out, which is what the foreign scholars so to say as scared of. Scared that the real literature and history and philosophy comes out in public domain.
Excellent comment. We urgently need to fightback against the monopoly and intolerance of the left and JSD is one such intellectual warrior.
Quote:
We now live at the peak of dualistic hatred, and a major section of the society is fighting for their rights, and shouting for inclusivity, and if the current generation aren't astute enough to recognize that the liberalness we speak of has existed since time immemorial, then it only shows how dishonest their lives are. Colonial literature always dismisses this greatness and tries to hide such literature because they want to claim whatever good India has had is because of invasion and the constitution, which is outright laughable.
"the current generation" has grown up in Indian culture itself, and has seen multiple attempts on part of fringe groups to suppress their liberties in the name of "bhartiya sanksriti".
It's not dishonest living, good sir, it's just a conscious reflection. A nation where we are afraid to go out with our partner/SO because some wannabe leader's sentiments would be hurt and they'll (a) call your parents (b) have the girl tie you a rakhi (c) call the cops (d) beat you up or (e) all of the above.
A nation where national leaders say our culture doesn't support women education and they should stay at home. National leaders.

And then your lot acts surprised as to why we don't want your "culture". Because it's oppressive. Stop trying to impose it on the premise that it was oh-so-glorious in the past and oh-so-liberal - it might have been, but it's not anymore.

Quote:
which is what the foreign scholars so to say as scared of. Scared that the real literature and history and philosophy comes out in public domain.
Okay now that's batshit hilarious. Do you imagine there to be a "deep state" equivalent lobby of foreign scholars who are scared and actively trying to keep away Indian literature? Really? Scared? Why would that be?
Because it is flawed and inaccurate. Those of us who have not grown up learning Brahmanical scriptures, find no great merit in this rather whimsical intelectual interpretation of culture, even less so, when applied to India, a construct of the Constitution. A construct that we all live in and adapt to. Nobody is bringing back history of anything by quoting epicurean views in Europe. All great, and worth publishing, and publicise it all you want. But in the end, this is what is holding back India from being tier 1, your absolute rubbish.
They are doing it actively in all possible ways. It's very much apparent.
Choosing to remain oblivious is your choice based on half-baked opinions.

JSD attempts to correct this, and does it well.

Any knowledge I've gained about this civilization has always been through self-inquiry and not through family traditions. Having studied Sanskrit in school as a language helped, and interest developed to read more during college in the last 4-5 years, revealing a whole new domain that has been omitted and twisted for Indians in history books right from our school syllabus.

What we read is our choice, and nothing to do with religious indoctrination by our parents.
I agree with you. Being brought up in a non-brahminical family, it was so hard to stay in touch with practices oblivious to reason. All my relatives used to hate me for my constant questioning when I was young. Ofcourse falling to the feet of a Brahmin feet in your own house and him packing the food we give him and not even eating in your house because we belong to a caste lower than him was infuriating for a young mind. My aunts still think Brahmins are gods and don't rent ground floor houses to Brahmins because they think it's a sin to walk on their heads. Lmfao. Peace be upon them.
It took so much effort while in college to understand certain brahminical texts through mostly YouTube. And they're definitely beautiful, philosophical and extremely deep. I've never heard of or thought of things in the world that way. Especially the writings of Shankaracharya. I was extremely happy to make that a part of my life but I was furious to think why this knowledge was withheld from my caste and other castes for several generations. I could observe the stark differences between Brahminical families and other non-brahminical families and I their approach towards life. Brahmins have produced literature and ideas that are absolutely splendid but they are extremely guilty of spiritually starving the rest of the population.
How is any of that relevant to the comment you're replying to?
How is it not relevant?
The poster implied that they've had enough of the culture, but I made points to show how the root problem does not lie in the philosophical system, but in the practitioners of it. This includes the current government.

Which is why I mentioned in the first comment itself that at least intellectually one has to read and accept that this system fundamentally sees no difference from the Self and God, thereby making us all equal.

This is exactly the reason I liked Sai Deepak's approach in the book because he hasn't relied on any repeated and standard aspects others addres while writing, and instead focuses on citing credible sources from Indic authors to state his point, which I find commendable and has little to with the government.
I absolutely agree with you 10.3.1
Non-dual consciousness propogated by the Vedanta school of thought is the epitome of inclusiveness. There's no school that has the potential to have a definition which includes every individual, believer, non-believer, sexual mimoroty etc. Skeptics should check out Jerry Johnson's book "I am divine and so are you" which talks about queer identities accepted in dharmic faiths especially Vedantic school.
But I get the hatred towards Hinduism in general. We have a history of Brahminical oppression which I so fiercely detest myself. We are reduced to pagan worshippers to feed the wheel of Brahminical practices and propogation of their wealth. I really hope we move beyond being the victims of the petty practices of Brahminism ( which we've imbibed to be our "culture") and actually take up a spiritual and philosophical approach to religion.
Every book, every research paper, every interview matters. To both sides, and especially so due to Social Media. So they are browbeating us into accepting their incorrect interpretations in the meantime. And some of us buy it!

So every proper researched attempt like this book by J Sai Deepak is necessary and quintessential because the quality of this book doesn't seem lacking in any sense as such. There are direct references to every Indic scholar, and I personally don't think JSD represents the right wing.

At some point every book from the Indic side also matters and acts as soft power, which is influential to the masses in the long run.
Proper research, lol! Such amusing notions of research non-experts have!
Well.. when we have academicians like Thapar, Habib and the like masquerading as experts on a topic despite having zilch knowledge of the subject they claim to have expertise about, lets give some space to a person who actually has knowledge on the subject he writes. Ofc, you can't allow that, that hurts you ideologically and doesn't give you a peace of mind as someone dared to take on the entrenched ecosystem and their footsoldiers like yourself. If you have any issue or criticism of his research, do take it up on SM, challenge him on facts, but then, you can't, as he has given his references/citations very clearly.
His book is getting all the attention it requires, thanks to the pure abhorrence towards anything Indic.

He is shaking up the roots of our flawed thinking, and as I understand, it started to create ripples across the so called intelligentsia of India, and very rightly so.

Time indians decolononized themselves and stopped waiting for validation from the west.
Left is always easily triggered. Let's just say it's good people see through your bull now.
Cheerio!
Being a law student and person in law academia it is disheartening to see that people are objecting now to have or to try different viewpoints of certain things. This whole post was embroiled with the assumption that one particular person has no credential to have his book included in the law curriculum or to be referred for academic research et Cetra.
People are objecting to a specific viewpoint, not about the right to have the viewpoint. Similarly, another objection is against using majoritarian politics to impose that viewpoint on everyone else by forcing it to be a part of the curriculum. As a law student, if you focus on studying the law, then you will find that all this is very much about the spirit of law.
OK, since someone has to bite, I will.

What "Western" or "colonial" values are there in our Constitution and our laws, and that have been thrust upon us, when there were better "dharmic" or "native" values that we could have used instead?

Is there a list of such values that will be accepted and applauded by women in Kottayam, Aizawl, Goa, and Kashmir?

This is not a trollish question. I'm genuinely interested in an alternate legal jurisprudence that will include and will protect the groups named above. Can someone list this out?
I'm not aware of the legal domain as such and so do not know what you particularly refer to.

What JSD does in the book is based solely on regional/local scholarship about how India is much more than what is portrayed today, and that there is a 'Bharat' version to it that's been hidden from the masses.

There's no one book that addresses this mighty confusion. We've always had varied perspectives on a single topic, that's what makes us special and so multiple books might be needed to understand the Dharma and this civilization.

One need not look further than the works of Dr.Ambedkar, Swami Vivekananda and Rabindranath Tagore.
At least for an introduction.

For proper research-based factual analysis, check 'Who were the Shudras?' by Dr.BR where Aryan theory is dismissed and inquiry is made on how the civilization has to be understood.

Swami Vivekananda for general philosophical aspects and the right way to look at Dharma. This is important because everything changes with the way we define God, and how other religions interpret it. 'Lectures from Colombo to Almora' is a good intro.

The legendary Tagore for mystic writings and beautiful poetry. There are many collected books on him, but 'The philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore' covers a bit of everything, and even there he is critical of certain aspects of Vedanta, but recognizes that this freedom is fundamental to this land.

And of course the 'Geetanjali' for which he won the Nobel prize is an epitome of Dharmic nuances, because inspiration for his literature lay in Vedanta primarily.

I hope you will try to check these books out even though it doesn't directly address your concern. Most of these must be available on Archive.
Before criticising please read the book first. It is a modern masterpiece. If you do nto like it eve after reading it that means you have blind prejudice.
I disagree with his book. But your argument is false. There is an Indic Civilisation. Its why the king of Thailand is called Rama. Was there ever an Indic State in the European sense? No. But Civilisation does not mean State. All States have a Civilisation but not all Civilisations have a State.

The Constitution of India does not reflect the civilisation of India. This is going to be a problem cause in India the Constitution is the well from which you draw Sovereignty.
I feel that "India That is Bharat: Coloniality Continuity, Constitution" is a shallow book. This book sounds like Sai Deepak is speaking rather than a well-written text. I just read few pages from a couple of chapters. I do not have the patience to proceed further. So this verdict is based on reading few pages of the book and not the entire book.

There are grammatical mistakes. The author uses ''Perhaps'' very often. This makes me feel like the author is uncertain about what they want to convey.

There are many arbitrary definitions, a narrative of ''Them vs Us'' (This is the language populists like to use), misuse of terms etc.. in the pages I read. Reading few pages felt like I was reading one of my high school essays on nationalism!

I took a quote from this book and put it out in Quora asking the forum to help me understand the sentence. You may follow the discussion here.

https://www.quora.com/This-sentence-is-killing-me-In-stark-contrast-to-the-benevolent-connotation-imputed-to-humanism-the-literature-reveals-as-we-shall-see-that-it-has-the-direct-effect-of-placing-humans-over-and-above-nature-What-does
Bhagat's work doesn't cause at least long term harm to the readers.
If it’s a carbon copy of Savarkar’s, then it must be right ..!
LOL,
To start with you said
"Also, a constitution is a document that lays out rights of the citizen and the federal governance structure. It has little to do with civilisation and history and more to do with governance and socio-economic development."

Well, if you are in the Legal profession I suggest you quit immediately. Because you haven't read the constitution even once or if you did you did not understand any bit of it. If you did you wouldn't start or base your arguments based on the above statement of yours.

If you want you can go to the constitutional draft committee and their assembly of arguments to understand what "Indic" & "Bharat" civilisational values went into the document.

Heck, the illustrations on the Draft copy of the original Constitution of India consist of important events of the civilisation of the land Bharat.

I think you are just a butt hurt liberal and cannot confront the truth congress has been hiding for ages.
Literally read more fam. The idea that Bharat civilisation existed long before Mughals or the British invaded India is an idea that is endorsed by everyone across the isle. Diana L Eck- India a sacred geography, Gandhi, “hind Swaraj or Indian Home rule” pg 89 , Shashi Tharoor, even Britishers like Sue Herbert Ridley have recognised the existence of Bharat civilisation for that matter. Just because an idea has been endorsed by veer Savarkar, doesn’t automatically make untrue. People across the political spectrum recognised Indic civilisations identity. To claim that Indian only came about after 1947 is intellectually and historically insencere.
Honestly, I do not consider this as a criticism, because I cannot find any...
1. You have failed to deal with the specifics. I urge you to go back, find points that you find problematic, and refute it with credible backing.

2. If you are claiming that the 'native' vs 'colonial' debate is unnecessary in spite of reading the book (which I doubt you even bothered reading), please do give an explanation for the same. The author has clearly defined his standpoint, elaborated the need to distinguish between native and colonial using scholarly sources. So it is childish to term it "unnecessary" and leave the room, it does grave injustice to the author's efforts.

3. Please don't call this a review, and definitely not a critical review, please, xD. It is just a 75 word Instagram comment section worthy 'opinion'.
And how is the Rigveda anything other than a religious text, which does not represent or talk about the majority of people currently living in India?
He did not even read about how to draft a mercy petition without grammatical error!
Your criticism is based on opinions backed by no data and reports or logics whereas Sai deepak has backed his claims with facts. That's the difference.
What facts would those be? He is not a historian and lacks the necessary qualification to adjudge which are facts and which are customs and beliefs.
Sir, please state what brahministic concept is he imbibing using the Macaulayism concept. He is only asking Hindus to never forget, forgive and always remember that there are forces to change your culture, lingering around. Christian and Muslim conversion is just base level proof for the same.
People convert from a religion when they don't like it. It's not even that important in one's life who is not privileged. Quit making it seem like lifetime bondage.
I disagree by giving two examples.

The constitution is based upon Indic values as can be seen in many directive principles like article 44. And the word secular and socialist were added forcefully during emergency.

Second, the constitutional emblem is not some Mughals insignia but the Insignia of Asoka who was a Hindu and later became a Buddhist, both religions are Indic in origin.

On top of that the word Satyameva Jayate , the only words that are written below the emblem are sanskrit words taken directly from Mundaka Upanishada of Atharva Veda, one of the four Vedas of Hinduism.
It is shameful that Sai who has criticised several policies of the government that you think he supports is demonised. Stop this left-wing propaganda, the left is a brainwashed lot, the book is primarily a book of quotes and does not involve Sai's own opinions.
Your arguments are absurd without counter facts and logic. Just because you don't like POV and Facts doesn't make anything bad or not worth reading. Counter on facts and not pass judgements. Let people decide what's good for them.
The desire to de-colonize ...should start with our expressions.....down with English...start typing in sanskrit....lol....hell if that feasible .I have no idea why people are not looking ahead but looking back for inspiration....with a history as complicated as 'bharat' I see no reason for our intellectuals to confuse the already confused youth 😐
JSD has no accademic credentials ??? Are u out of ua god damn mind ??
What is his academic credentials exactly in the field that he's writing about?
Do you mean he has to get approval from the set of universities you approve of, or that he doesn't qualify to write about his country as his major is not in literature?
He passes off his own opinion as historical facts and sociological reality. Last I checked, he has got no degree from any university (other than maybe ▮▮▮ university) in either history or sociology. And don't pull the country card. Despite being from this country, you still don't have any knowledge about how half of its populace live their lives. It's also like saying, you are from this country and have studied law here, so you are qualified to write about ISRO's space technology analysis, because they happened in your country!
What is this obsession about lacking any "academic credentials" or "degree"! He's as literate and articulate to comment on a subject as much as the critics are. Thus far he has been sensible to not talk of Cryogenics. (BTW getting through engineering and IIT is no mean a feat either)
New Right Wing India. You don't need any qualification to talk about anything.
Talk is cheap. Sai should start the process of hinduization by writing his book in Sanskrit. If not, he should be dismissed as producer of vaporware!
At the forefront, I apologize for being late to the party (JSD Supporter).

I'll try to be as mild and unoffending in my criticism as possible but won't guarantee that that's what it will look like. I have absolutely nothing against you.

First it impresses me how intellectually shallow and intelligibly weak your argument is.

If the case is that you don't understand the concepts of epistemology and its effect on the development of culture, religion, beliefs and worldviews on a society then you need to educate yourself about it first. Probably some other resource and not JSD's book as it's evident that you've understood nothing from it.

However if the case is that you outrightly deny the concept of civilization, culture and its effect on religion and society and their mutual interactions therein then I'll have to pen down a larger piece which I deem unnecessary as I'm quite certain that it is my former opinion which is the case here and not this latter one(however, I could be wrong).

That being said, every society - it's beliefs, worldviews, culture, language, religion and the resulting societal structure is borne out of the civilizational experience of that geography which is then dependant on the onto-epistemological understanding of the initial inhabitants of the place and btw, even philosophy is borne out of this onto-epistemological understanding. Surely there's a reason why in philosophy classes you learn the metaphysical background of the philosopher before you learn what he's talked about.

And surely, being the field of law(so goes the assumption) you'd know that all your law theories were given by philosophers and sociologists who had their respective metaphysical understanding of the world they had come from which in turn, determined their opinions about right and wrong, good and bad, holy and evil, sacred and cursed which led them to give the theories that they did and if law is not an enterprise of right and wrong then, what is it? Similarly, governance and it's structure - ever cared to ask where, how and why did these ideas arrive in the first place? You should.

Lastly, even if JSD reads this piece, I don't think he should degrade himself to such intellectually unsound pieces of argument. No insult, just simple fact.
Only an idiotic moron will think that Constitution and history have no connection

And if there are doubts over Bharat being a civilisation, how do you explain the constitution adopting the phrase India that is Bharat

Clearly the makers of the constitution appreciated the civilisational continuity of this land

Today's Nehruvians harp that India was not a Nation before British came. They maybe should read what Nehru said in 1961 while addressing the AICC

Guy has studied law in IIT Kharagpur and you are saying he has no academic credentials?🤣🤣
Sorry but I don't see any content in your criticism. Just criticism for the sake of criticism it seems. "There is nothing such as Bharat" - What's your basis for this statement I don't think you have even read the book entirely and just following your false sense of intellectual entitlement. I said false.
The book definitely has had female endorsers. Not that it matters, but it does. Why would the idea of Bharat being a copy of veer savarkar be a problem?

A constitution is a book that metes out details on how to run the state, including the restrictions of the state. This cannot be done in vaccum of connections with society and hence people and hence the civilisation. These are certainly not reasonable criticisms of the book or the notions it propagates.
kya problem hai sirji aapka.

THe book gives another dimension of things which mr.Pedant could not co-relate earlier. Now that he has done. whats wrong in his book?

He has sighted many proofs,letters and has come with concepts of civilisation. Excellent work on all aspects. probably i read it in 1 go without any break.splendid.How do you say he is non constitutional. he has quoted article 1 of constitution. how can society be run without the predeccessed past?

Hope everyone is proud of our predecessors and they were from Bharat. Does it not feel pride in you that he has praised everybody's forefathers?

Does that insult you?
No mate, you should actually learn what historical proof consists of. Merely saying X has said this therefore it must be true doesn't work. Nor does JSD know about how to conduct such research, since he is not a student of history nor has any relevant credential.
No rebuttal of topic itself...Just speculation that he is casteist...He has absolutely denied this allegation..He was even in support of Caste based Reservation....Here is the link to the video : https://youtu.be/YjPZzq88U-E?si=j5po-vntFVvU5cYL
why do you think it's irrelevant to read from all the perspectives?
Can you change the title of the article to my rant for j sai deepak's new book. I tried hard to find your argument / criticism but sorry, you just got a click bait headline in search results, nothing else.
I disagree with your critiques on several points.First constitution doesn't exist in isolation but is a product of its times and situations.As the socio economic and political situation decided how the constitution will be created, therefore native vs colonial debate becomes central when discussing the constitution.

The so called central flaw proves Sai point which he pointed in books that western civilization and many from Indian sides refuse to accept that there is such a thing called Bhartiya or Indic civilization.This subversion of truth has been rightly called out by Sai .

Your denial about Bharat and Indic Civilization proves Sai point of people denying Bharat having Agency.
My polite response,

1. Your statement questioning the validity of the existence of "Bharat" and "Indic" civilisation does not hold water when history clearly says otherwise or maybe you are a subscriber to an alternate form of history.

2. Constitution has little to do with civilisation and history and more to do with governance and socio-economic development - Ok but when the history of a civilisation dictates what the "rights of the citizen and the federal governance structure" are and how do you reconcile with that fact? and how can you then exclude that history entirely?

3. Who is denying "Bharat" this agency? - This finally confirms my suspicion that may be you have not read the book and are making an argument of argument's sake with an ulterior motive, because if you had then you would know the answer to your question.

Also, there is no mention of "Brahmin"/"Brahminism" or even a distant hint at that term in the passage that you have posted here.

In conclusion you need to get a firmer grip with the history of this country and read more literature from authors outside your echo chamber.
The argument against JSD is based on the very same premises, but flipped.

And the crux of the opposition is the rebuttal of the agency called Bharat. This is just focusing on linguistic metaphor “Bharat” & ignoring the issue whether there exists a civilisational similarity & continuity across the Indian subcontinent - call it by any label - Bharat, Hindu, or Tamil, or the colonial moniker India (which itself is derived from Hindi).

The argument is very shallow. History informs us that the subcontinent was identified as Bharatvarsha both by internal agents & external agents. And it is this self-identification that JSD advocates us to revert in order to reconstruct our own self identity independent of alien impositions.

In short the opposition itself identifies with an idea of India defined by the western constructs & are opposing JSD z choice to define the idea based on indigenous constructs.
Which history establishes that the foreigners used to refer to the entire subcontinent landmass as Bharatvarsha? As for similarities, the range of differences that existed and still exists between the people all across the country in terms of religion, habits and socio cultural practices is legion, always has been, to the extent of mirroring neighboring countries more closely than other parts of this country.
Beware of people who talk too fast.

They usually don't have anything of substance to say.
A 11-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 44-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 225-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 49-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 10-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 24-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 10-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 9-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 29-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 44-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 9-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 32-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
Giant gasbag, yes. If you keep hyping up his academic credentials, then people will question it rightly. He is not a historian, has got no qualification to research about the field and his opinions are just his personal opinions.
But when so called left historians got exposed, called out for debates by the people who sai gave credits in his books , those left historians zipped their lie spitting mouth..
A 8-word comment posted 3 days ago was not published.