Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
GNLU has been doing great in terms of placing its students and academically. I got in GNLU but I had the chance to being upgraded to NLU J in my quota but didn't opt for the option. Now I'm contemplating whether that was the right move. So if we take into account things like :-
1. Faculty
2. Infrastructure
3. Administration and liberty
4. Activities/Co-curriculars, competitions, moots
5. Placements and Internships

which would be the better choice, gnlu or nluj?
NLUJ anyday

- Small Batch Size (120 students) when compared to GNLU (180 students)

- BA faculty of NLUJ is good, BBA not so much.

- Very weak student body in both the institutes.

- NLUJ is ranked Higher in NIRF.

- No Domicile reservations in NLUJ means wayy better student diversity.

- In placements NLUJ has a slight edge both in domestic as well as international placements.

- NLUJ has Single rooms from first year itself for all students, GNLU has twin sharing hostel rooms for their UG program for all the 5 years.

- Rajasthan is not a dry state and 18 and above folks can consume Liquor legally.

- In terms of connectivity NLUJ is a bit behind, it is outside the city, but buses, cabs and autos are available. (GNLU us getting a metro station)

- Both the cities have HC benches.

- NLUJ was established before GNLU

- Both the Colleges have good infra with a well equipped library.

Normally people on LI will tell you to keep your preference list for top 4 to 6 NLUs like this:

-NLUJ
-GNLU
-NLIU
NLUJ is ranked 8th in NIRF 2021 rankings while GNLU is at the 6th place.
When the Comment 2 was written NIRF 2021 rankings were not out.

Even though according to NIRF, GNLU is ranked higher than NLUJ this time, still NLUJ is a better institute than GNLU for the reasons mention above.
Also unlike GNLU where the stream (BA.BBA,BSC.BSW) are allocated according to one's rank which I find a bit unfair.

In NLUJ one is free to choose between BA and BBA no specific rank based allotment.
Can you please elaborate on this and the course structure based on rank?
I think NLUJ is a slightly better than NLUJ. However, definitely you cannot go wrong with either. Both the colleges are real good. If you work hard, there is no dearth of opportunities in either of these colleges.
GNLU is better than NLUJ anyday. GNLU has the CJI as Chancellor. GNLU also has the backing of PM Modi. Also, Rajasthani/Marwari business houses like the Birlas are nowadays dwarfed by Gujarati business houses like Ambani and Adani, so GNLU has greater access to capital. The Shroff family is also from Gujarat. Also, the BJP has been in power in Gujarat since the 1990s and it will stay this way. Political stability matters. Gujarat already has IIMA, NID etc. The plan is to take GNLU to that level.

Lastly, regarding NIRF, maybe NLUJ is ahead now, but think about NIRF 2025 and beyond.
As a GNLU student, I'd advise you to choose NLUJ if your decision is purely based on comparison of the two unis.

I had a similar choice to make as I was getting NLUJ in vacancies while I was already at GNLU. I stuck with GNLU not because it was sizeably better than NLUJ but because I had already settled in the Uni. Packing bags and starting over again seemed like a tedious thing to do given the negligible benefits.
Online admissions would obviously discount this consideration. So you can easily choose NLUJ and derive the (little) benefit that you get from switching.
A good tip for anyone stuck in this position is not to think of in an absolutist sense. LI and other online forums and general discussions reveal very little of what goes on in a Uni. So you're only offered a smidgen of the actual picture. Don't base your decisions off of anonymous comments. You'd be better off contacting someone at NLUJ and GNLU on LinkedIn and asking them about what you're looking for.
GNLU is ranked higher than NLUJ in 2021 NIRF rankings. How come you are not updated about the same.

https://www.nirfindia.org/2021/LawRanking.html
NUJS was ranked below NLUJ last year? Would you have advised a student to go to NLUJ instead of NUJS last year?
One more point I forgot to add: GNLU is rocking placements, UPSC, Rhodes scholarships and foreign LLM admissions
It's 2022 now and I can assure you that GNLU is way better now. All the firms are swarming GNLU, students are doing great in Moots and publications. Also, GNLU gets very decent funding. The hostels are being enhanced for the new first years. In 2022, GNLU is a superior college and there shouldn't be an iota of doubt regarding that.
Which international moot has GNLU won in the last 5 years? As for publications, which internationally reputed journals have the students published in?
Faculty: very few are good, 2-3 max. None of the professors here are distinguished enough in their fields. So, sub-par faculty.

Infrastructure: the photos on the website looks good. However, proper maintenance has not been done. So, rundown Infrastructure. It is not pwd friendly at all. Also, the rampant wildlife crisis in the hostel. Everyday it's a run away from langurs

Administration and liberty: idk about boys but here in the girls hostel, there are arbitrary midnight checks. The warden, Manisha and others along with security barge inside your rooms at 1 and 2 early in the morning and go through your desks and cupboards while making really snide
Faculty: very few are good, at most 2-3. None of the professors are distinguished nor leading in their fields. So, subpar faculties, i.e., professors. However, the TRAs are good though they don't get opportunities to engage classes.

Infrastructure: lack of proper maintenance causes the so-called infrastructural superiority of GNLU to be rundown. It is nothing like the photos on the website but they charge an exorbitant amount for maintenance and hostel fees. The food is terrible and inedible at times with the mess overrun by cockroaches. The tube lights in the hostel and the classrooms, 0.8, even where faculties Frequent are perpetually hanging down so as to fall off.

Administration and liberty: idk about the boys hostel but in the girls hostel, the warden Manisha and others barge in at midnight into your room with

security and goes through all your belongs at 1 or 2

in the morning whilst making snide comments.

You can't even approach the Registrar or faculty wardens or director to address the rudeness showed by the administrative staff because they just don't care about you. One of the faculty wardens, harsha, suggests that we don't like having the warden and security barge in at 2 in the morning since we have something to hide. As if, the cupboards are rusted, the beds creaky and loosely jointed, the draws of the desk never opening or closing and the rusted rickety chairs we get are capable of hiding stuff. Meanwhile, the University spends crores in constructing faculty lounges when student's keep asking the Administration to do something about the wildlife crisis on campus, snakes and langurs.

Activities: non existent since SAC was disbanded, moots are subpar with no proper guidelines to improve your memo, and co-curriculars are plain sad since the faculty and Administration gets involved in everything.

Placements and internship: thankfully, the internship amd placements are good since the faculty convenor of CRA, Nidhi Buch, is fantastic. She involves the students and is always open to suggestions.

My opinion would be for you to try to get into NLUJ. Don't waste your time, effort and hardworking in GNLU which is helmed by Shanthakumar and his gujarati masters.
This review is mostly spot on. About the internships and the CRA part, it is NT who is the face of the CRA and not NB. NB's involvement is limited to placements. You can well expect internships ONLY if you're amongst the toppers of a batch, even the average students get virtually no internships through the CRA. Keep in mind there are more than 200 students in a batch.

Toppers always figure something out or work the hard way to score good marks but a good number of faculties are unpredictable and arbitrary in their marking. For the internal evaluations (constituting 50% of your grade), no one really bothers reading the submissions and the basis on which they're marked only they know.

What the director is up to most of the time, nobody really knows. He's practically a stranger to the students.

There is no student body here to voice the students' concerns as you see in other colleges, SAC, which in itself is a controversial body for abusing its privileges, has a limited role in organising student activities.

For the boys hostel, there are no surprise checks or anything and there's minimal supervision by the warden though it's also comparatively poorly maintained. Rooms are twin or triple sharing, quite tiny and the washrooms are common. Infrastructure outside of the administrative block (the fancy building you see up front when you google GNLU) is shabby.

Ragging has been a problem in the boys hostel and there's a disgusting culture of calling your seniors "sir/ma'am" though limited efforts have been made to punish the culprits, especially when the victims speak out (as they should). Not sure how different NLUJ is in this regard.

Choose wisely and ATB.
The TRAs do get to engage classes, mostly as subordinates attached with the professors and they too are like a mixed bag.
Gnlu Gnlu Gnlu…has a lot of potential. Might outperform other T1s except Nls in the next few years…very likely
GNLU stans have been crying about this for years now, without anything to show for it yet.