Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
I read in another thread that for Vac Scheme Holders, for the first 2 years, while the firm provides 10k pounds as living stipend (till you get enrolled), it is not enough to sustain in London; and effectively, you may have to shell money from your own pocket.

Is this true? Would one have to spend money for the first two years? Not asking about the general difference between what one's peers would be earning in India- just whether a Vac Scheme Holder would have to spend his own money initially to sustain comfortably. Thanks!
They did not use to spend money earlier but from 2022 batch, yes. 10k per annum is not sufficient to stay in London.
You are confusing a vacation scheme with a training contract. Vacation schemes are only about two weeks long and firms like A&O pay Β£450 per week if you get in.

A training contract is two years long and you would have to do a GDL + LPC (as per the old system, to be replaced by the SQE soon) to qualify as a solicitor. Depending on the firm, your continuing education will be fully or partly funded. You will be paid a salary during your training contract.

So yes, you will have to pay from your own pocket (or part-time employment) before you become a trainee solicitor.
Thank you so much answering,I have a query tho,SQE 1-when done from India after graduation,would take how much time to clear before starting the TC,is it a year before the TC or? Could we clear the sqe1 along with TC?
I wrote Comment 3.

You will have to check the respective firm’s website for that. Assuming that the SQE is a replacement for the GDL and LPC, you might have to do SQE exams before you commence your training contract. The Qualifying Work Experience part of the SQE would be your training contract seats.
Can we take the SQE while doing our training contract in UK,could someone answer this please?
Linkalters website clearly says that you will complete the SQE course first before commencing your training contract.
Please don't spread lies here. Which firm is this?

HSF has clearly mentioned on their website that they pay 10k pounds as a support grant for PGDL/SQE. Similar is the case for Links
Where is the lie? Do I know how much I got as a Trainee while at a Magic Circle firm or does someone else?
Nobody is talking about your salary as a trainee. This conversation is about your living stipend to study SQE before TC
That was earlier, this is the new process for 2022 graduates onwards.
The SRA website clearly says this-
The two years qualifying work experience can be taken at any point throughout the SQE, but the SRA expect that the majority of graduates will pass SQE1 before embarking on their main period of work experience.
So it isnt like you have to complete both th SQE
Yes exactly
The LINKLATERS website says that
In response to the SRA’s move to replace the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) with the SQE, Linklaters sought to appoint a training provider for lawyers qualified in another jurisdiction who are required to requalify in England and Wales. These lawyers will study for and sit the SQE 1 and SQE 2 exams concurrently with working at the firm’s London office.
Why don't you provide the link of that webpage and we can see for ourselves
Yes, it depends not just on SRA but also on the firm. SRA doesn't even prescribe PGDL anymore for non law students (including Indian grads). However, firms like Links and HSF have made it mandatory for non law students despite no such requirement from SRA.

Similarly, firms like Links and HSF have mentioned on their website that you have to do an 11 month (SQE course) plus 8 months of PGDL. Including vacations and breaks, it will ends up taking close to 22 months before you commence your training contract.

Since, this is offline studies at BPP school of law, you will have to stay in London for these 2 years and basically manage your own living (firm will provide you a living stipend)
The LINKLATERS website says that
"In response to the SRA’s move to replace the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) with the SQE, Linklaters sought to appoint a training provider for lawyers qualified in another jurisdiction who are required to requalify in England and Wales. These lawyers will study for and sit the SQE 1 and SQE 2 exams concurrently with working at the firm’s London office."
PGDL is solely for non law graduates and international law degrees not recognized as an England And Wales qualifying degree.
For a fact, An INdian law degree certified by the BCI is a recognized law degree in the UK.
The TC may start after qualifying the SQE1
I think you are referring to the following webpage- https://www.linklaters.com/en/about-us/news-and-deals/news/2021/may/linklaters-announces-partnership-with-barbri-global

However, this page is a Scholarship announcement for Refugee lawyers in England and not for regular trainees of Linklaters. For trainees, all city law firms have partnered with BPP law school and it requires you to study PGDL as well as SQE both before Training contract begins.
No, an Indian degree is not a qualifying degree in England and Wales. However, many English law degrees are valid in India provided they were pursued after another undergraduate degree (like how it is for an Indian 3 year LLB) or if a bridge course is taken later on (NLSIU and NLUD offer these courses from time to time). It's the other way round.
No, it is not. If Indian degree was recognised as law degree, people needed not write QLTS test. Before introduction of SQE, all trainees from India wrote QLTS because Indian law degree is not recognised as Qualifying law degree.

Here is an excerpt from A&O website-
Those who have completed a law degree in an international jurisdiction that is not recognised as a qualifying law degree by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority will also need to complete some or all of the PGDL (although no longer a regulatory requirement, this also applies for those qualifying via SQE). This includes those who studied a law degree in Scotland and Ireland and did not study the necessary modules as part of their degree.

If law degree of Ireland is not a recognized law degree in England, how is Indian law degree recognised? It is actually not.
Insider take here: This is entirely false. The three firms (Linklaters, HSF, A&O) which offer Indian Training contracts pay you around 47000 pounds for the first year of the contract and 52500 pounds for the second year. They also pay for your SQE coaching, and the SQE exam itself. If they are asking you to do SQE 1 (the digital component), while in India - they will pay you a stipend while in India to study for it and give it. SQE 2 requires you to be in London in person - so it will be done while your training contract is going on.

This is all after getting a Training contract.

The vacation scheme is a one month internship for which they book your flights, accommodation and give your 450 pounds a week.

All in all, no, you do not have to spend your own money for the first two years. 40000+ should be enough to live in London.
Indian students do not need to do the PGDL. I literally have MC firm communication stating we only need to do the SQE.
Could you please attach the screenshot here? Please. Because A&O website and Links website say otherwise.

Please see it for yourself. I have attached my email communication with an MC firm stating that Indian students need to complete both PGDL and SQE that too before joining the firm i.e. Starting the Training Contract.
That is if you apply directly for a TC, I don't think this shd be the case if you are directly placed for a TC through a top NLU, especially if you have completed a vac scheme
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a novice to this world
They don't have different systems for direct TC or through vac scheme. Its the same for everyone
The PGDL is for "non-law" graduates or law graduates from countries whose degrees need full conversion. India does not fall in either of those categories.
An Indian Law degree is considered and recognized as a qualifying England and Wales degree............so PGDL is not required(only for non law grads and non recognized law degrees)