Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
A lot of lawyers quit big law firms in 2 to 3 years, despite having an attractive pay. Where do most of them go after their stint in a law firm?
Other Tier 1s or Tier 2s, some leave for LLMs, others write UPSC or judiciary exams, some take up litigation jobs, or even policy/academia/teaching positions
They start living.

And they do something on the side to make a living. That's how life was always meant to be. Until your boss told you that "success" is about working every waking hour of your life for a fixed fee, and you believed him.
Pure zindagi thodi na ghiswayenge raat ke 2 baje tak. Made their money, invested smartly and moved on to enjoy their lives!
They were obviously not at those firms just for the money only. Their reason to quit may be to follow another passion or to pursue law as an in-house lawyer.
After quitting tier 1 firms, they join tier 2-3 firms at higher positions, leverage their experience in tier 1 firms and negotiate better salaries. Spend some time in tier 2/3 firms developing their book and come back to join the big firms as partners (where their colleagues continued to work their asses off and never got time to build contacts). After spending a few years as partners they go back to tier 2/3 firms as working in tier 1 firms was never their preferred lifestyle.
How does one build a book when all the clients at your firm are giant, listed corporates who have long standing relationship with your firm ?
How many among those who quit will get into UPSC or Judiciary, very less numbers.
Gitanjali quit CAM capmarks and Saket quit Luthra Delhi to become diplomats.
Any idea on how they managed a career shift into diplomacy? What's the path they followed?
Is there a way to become a Diplomat without writing the UPSC ? As I assume these people were past the age limit when they quit ?
Gitanjali wasn't past the age limit and wrote UPSC IIRC - she quit in a year or so
Can someone plan to make 1 crore in 7-8 years, and then start a business with the capital? Say, manufacturing and export business. Something like textile etc? Even pisciculture has grown profitable.
My net worth crossed 1 crore this year. Financed solely from my law firm job. I have worked for much lesser than 7 years.
Law is easily more profitable (as a percentage) than any manufacturing business taking one time investment and regulatory headaches into account.
I don't know about profitable, being in manufacturing appears more respectable given the treatment master out to lawyers by Tier1s
Hopefully to beginningng a good life away from cheap politics,contacting starting, shouting matches and slavery.
Many go on to teach (or do an LLM to teach). Jindal is one of the places that many of them go to.
Jindal is currently the best paymaster in legal academia in India, and that's an undeniable fact. It pays even better than the IIMs (law faculty) at entry level (chiefly because IIMs would not usually accept non-PhD holders in law for assistant professor positions).
To Happy spots in their life that had got buried by the miserable toxic cultures if big law firms.
To find some shreds of happiness which doesn't come with even a ton of money and Tier1s ensure that you don't get a taste of it while you working for them least you give up law to become a yogi.
This was after much more than 2-3 years, but check out @sohfitofficial on Instagram. GLC alum.