Read 49 comments as:
Filter By
I don't know enough, but I think the book White Shoe by John Oller might change your perspective on transactional lawyers and their 'use' to society.
Looks like these IBs haven’t met tax lawyers yet. And who are you guys kidding? Junior associates and IBs both have no real work to do. Just some paperwork that the seniors don’t want to do. Not like anyone gets to call the shots.
Avendus’ entire business model is built around getting i banking business. They then use that to provide asset management and wealth management solutions to corporate treasury and founder clients.
No I banking deals equals no other business.
While Avendus is the worst, there are few good ones too - JPM is class apart - it has always been an extremely pleasant experience to work with them. They engage in dialogue and always make an attempt to understand the issue.
The fact that you didn't get a good job to see what's a corporate lawyers life, doesn't give you the right to thrash talk. If you are not a part, you have no say.
Bengaluru based law shops and their shop keepers call them M&A attorneys and criticize and bad mouth IBs. Come to Mumbai to learn how transsctions are done.
So when the lawyer couldn’t do the excel sheet properly, why didn’t you do it and go ahead with the transaction anyway? Oh wait… you couldn’t have.
Yes ofcourse. Because it was the investment bankers with microsoft excel skills who were involved in some of the most historic events in the world. Not the lawyers, just some bros from JP Morgan🀣
Agreed - Avendus and Nomura are exceptionally bad. Absolutely horrible, and would never want to work with either of them. They both take it to a whole new level when it comes to unrealistic timelines and it doesn't help when the client doesn't stand up to their antics.
One of them wanted to execute the cap table (on a word file), and call it a term sheet.
Avendus has cheap PE money invested in it and needs to scale rapidly to provide an exit.
What do you think happens in such a scenario when the only metric that matters is growth?
Dude, are you nuts? Why is a lawyer expected to be a pro at excel sheets? I think you are worthless because you can't climb trees.
Avendus - they have hired monkeys who cannot even understand simple instructions despite sending them tabular formats or explaining checklists on calls lasting for hours.
This may be true but it seems you can't even understand the basics of the English language which even pre nursery kids can grasp.
Then try working with only your quant skills next time. Jab government puchegi documents kaha hai to use apna wallstreet wala swag dikha dena
Side question: What are some daft things that ibanks have proposed and why were/would they be disastrous for the client? How did you deal with daft proposals?
Arre bhai, of course we're not familiar with excel. We don't need to use it everyday like IB analysts. This like me throwing Palkhivala on Income Tax at you expecting you to structure the transaction in a way that saves crores.
dealing with any dalal sucks
especially when they are smarter than you and used to working longer hours and see you as a bottleneck
Nomura is extremely bad. Utterly incompetent, rude, aggressive and not at all willing to exert any effort whatsoever.
Are you the one who gave me a deadline to share the draft by last night and then you were here chilling on LI? Good thing you forwarded the draft to the larger group at 8 am without even bothering to check my comments meant only for you πŸ˜‚. Real hard worker..
Arey bhai, jab parties land into dispute or dispute a deal for xyz reason, arbitrator or court settles this basis the same so called useless paperwork!
Neither of IBs or lawyers do a job with requires actual skills.
Both bankers and lawyers work eerily long hours to do mundane, mechanical tasks that require little to no intellectual firepower.
Dealt with Avendus a short while back and it was a terrible experience. Hope to never come across them but knowing this line they'll probably turn up again.
I wonder why this IB is here on LI looking at threads meant for lawyers. Hmm.
Arey wallstreet wale bhaiya, the deals don’t go through without the β€œuseless” paperwork🀣
Valuation aur numbers ghumake kya ghar pe sajaoge fir?