Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, everyone! I am a final year student at one of the top 3 NLUs. My law school's placements just got over, and I was not even shortlisted for a single interview given the dearth of law firm internships and a poor cv in general.

I have not interned since October 2019 because of mental health issues that I have now successfully dealt with. My grades have also plummeted down ever since, and I am not sure if I can get a job now.

What can I do in the next 11 months to become employable? My spirits are high again, and I want to work and learn. However, there are no precedents in my college of someone like me getting a job. I really wish I had not wasted the last 1.5 years on mental health issues, but that's life. Should I start applying to tier 3 firms and make my way up from there? Or, is there a possibility that I can hustle and make my way into a good law firm within the next 11 months?

I am not concerned with prestige; and money while important, is secondary to learning for me. Hence, I wanted to find work at smaller boutique firms like Algo Legal and stay there for two years at least.
Hi boss,
good to know that you are in a better place mentally and are looking forward to learn. As long as you are willing to put in the work and are eager to learn, you should progress. If you are not obsessed with brand value, do intern with these non 'tier-1' firms and pick up a job. It is imprudent to intern with firms which hire through day 0 to get a job there now. However, in my 2021 batch, quite a few good candidates made it to AZB after they graduated (and interned in July). I think the chances of that are low while not zero.

At this point, try for firms located in Delhi-NCR and not Bombay. For lower paying firms Bombay is probably unaffordable and unless you have family money or are paid a lot, you should try for Delhi. Since everything is virtual, do as many internships as possible. It is however better to do fewer although longer internships than a string of 3 week internships.

You are behind your Batchmate's on the jobs front undoubtedly. But this does not mean that in a year or two you cannot find yourself in the same place. It is hard but very doable in my opinion.

The hardest part is getting rid of the mental block and the lack of confidence which might hit you on a daily basis. Keep trusting yourself and I hope soon you get a job you like. Since you are recovering (recently recovered) from mental health issues, ensure that you don't spiral into a bad place again. There are so many things which could push you there but you need to prioritise staying in good mental shape over most other things.

Good luck, I am rooting for you.

If you have any further questions, please post them here.
If you're from a top 3 NLU, you need not worry. Just try to harness your CV in the final semester in terms of CGPA and 1-2 internships. Law firms are facing a shortage of associates. Your batchmates who're joining the firms, at least 10% will quit within 6 months and 30% will quit within a year. So even in your worst case scenario, you'll find a job after 6 months after graduation.

Best case? One of your internships will easily convert given you're a 5th year students and law firms prefer people who can start within the next 2 months versus the people who'll start after 2 years. So time it around Oct-December/April-June cycle. I'm sure your RPC/RCC can find you guys internships very easily now that a large chunk of your batch is placed.

Also, develop a solid reason to give an interviews when they ask you why you did not get an offer yet? Don't say mental health - law firms are incapable of understanding that. Give a more potent reason even if fake.
Quote:
Don't say mental health - law firms are incapable of understanding that.
That hit really hard
Landing up a job in first year is enough. Learn and with 1 or 2 years experience you can switch. Not getting placed is not the end of the world. I know of people who were not placed through college and are partners today. So relax. Good luck
Lmfao bro, don't worry at all. Even if you keep your head down and do even 2-3 internships between now and the end of your last sem, you'll easily get a tier 1-2 job. Nls, nalsar and nujs kids have it ez
The only thing I will say is don't feel guilty at all for putting yourself first. Take care of your health and wellness 🙏
hey I am from lower Nlu, NUSRL ranchi will I ever be placed with a law firm after 2 years of experience.
they just simply reject my cv.
please help
No bro, but engaged with minor role somewhere for continuing income! Neither they are calling nor even giving a shit. Everywhere Nepo Nepo Nepo....totally got irritated with this. I don't understand what is the benefit of choosing nepos over talent. Just assuming if We NLUians r suffering, then what happens with the non-nluians (with no contacts).

It's time to unite & throw away this Nepo culture totally and break the wall of biasness.
You basically need to find someone within the organization from your college/school/acquaintance who can refer your cv to partner. Many firms circulate their vacancies internally. Partner director reference also helps greatly if you can find someone. Try approaching your professors as well sometimes their friends or old students are well placed over the years and may be able to help you out. Try to perform well at your current job as well.
A 18-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.