Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
I've observed that a big chunk of Associates (A0 up to Principal Associate) in Mumbai based law firms tend to be from Out-of-Town ? Very few are locals of Mumbai ? I thought locals would be preferred for hiring as they have a supporting infrastructure (family) for the hard, 12-to-14 hour workdays that Law Firms have. They won't have to devote energies to arranging for food, housekeeping and other basic personal maintenance. Still, the typical A0-A3 at one of the better Bombay firms is an out-of-towner. Is it because firms prefer to recruit from NLUs/JGLS/Symby ?

Also from whatever local A0s are there, very few are Marathis. Can't think of more than 10% Marathi A0s-A3s in CAM, SAM, AZB, Trilegal, LL, ELP, LKS, JurisCorp, Wadia, Mulla, Crawford and then most of them are concentrated in the older Sol firms. The big national firms are not representative of the local demography ! Not saying this is a problem but this is something that stands out ! Again, most of the support staff/court clerks etc tend to be Marathi.
If this question is genuine in nature, and not pursuant to any self-righteous sense jingoism that has been in vogue in our country recently, law firms associates will be a diverse crowd since they are high paying jobs that people would relocate for. Unlike support staff positions which are not as well paying so a firm would hire from the local population. I do not think Marathis are underrepresented in any way whatsoever. If you would take law firm jobs across all major cities, their demographic would more or less be representative of India. Marathis goto Delhi, North Indians goto Bengaluru, and Kannadigas come to Mumbai.
This is true of aspects of commercial life in Mumbai and has been for a century if not more.
A very substantial chunk of Bombay fee earners are local born and brought-up, but they may not be Marathi. Bombay is arguably the most cosmopolitan city in India, and law firm crowd is representative of this cosmopolitan demographic.

NLU/JGLS/Symbi recruitment is irrelevant as they are hardly diverse, 70% of the crowd is from metro cities.
There should be some reservation in Mumbai Law Firms for Locals and Marathi people.

It's our state, we developed it. If you want to work in your state, who is stopping you from improving/ economically developing your own state.
Since we're parsing it down to "our" state and "your" state then let's also ensure that the jobs are solely for the people from Mumbai since it's "their" city. What is stopping you from going and developing "your" city/ town/ village. Nay, why not localities. "Our" Lower Parel, we developed it, what is stopping you from developing "your" Chembur.

Go join your fellow band of Shiv Sainik trolls plz, rather than being an annoyance here
You didn't develop it by yourself. The people from other states had a very meaty role to play in that development.
People like you are also the reason why I laugh when it's claimed that Bombay (oooh am I going to get beaten up now) is a more cosmopolitan city than Delhi. Delhi has MANY issues, I'd know I've stayed in both cities, but you don't see the kind of cultural ethnocentrism you see in Bombay with folk like you. Sure, you have the socio-economic exclusions of the nature you also see in Bombay (peeing my pants now oof scared), the racism against the folk from NE and Africa, the women's safety issue. I highlight all of these to clarify I'm not implying Delhi is cosmopolitan. But to say that Bombay (pee stains appearing now) is cosmopolitan with folk like you around, with their unfounded sense of entitlement surely does indicate another picture when one considers the facts.

Just by the way, many of the labourers from UP and Bihar who were publicly getting beaten up on the streets were quite instrumental in the development of Bombay (it's a full stain now). They provided adequate services when there was an obvious inefficiency/ inability on the part of the local populace (otherwise that space for these "outsiders" wouldn't have arisen). Consequently, they would also purchase goods from Marathi owned stores. This just gets replicated as you go further up the socio-economic ladder (including the Gujaratis who have also been at the receiving end of this kind of jingoism which invariably turns ugly). So much for "you" developing "your" state.
exactly,
gujjus, parsis, and britishers made it what it is.
they've hardly done anything.
but they will make it sound as if all of the Marathi were Maharaj Shivaji Rao themselves.
Without existence of maharashtrians and their hardwork existence of hub like mumbai was impossible.
When British east india company established headquarters in city they promoted trade and ecosystem with shivaji maharaj and marathas . Most of natural resources like teak wood came from maratha territory. Most of labour came from maharashtra that time .in order to keep check on British trade activities shivaji Maharaja also occupied khaderi islands which are from 30 miles from Bombay mouth.
Kian, why has this been marked as trollish? Not OP but OP's comment is absolutely true as far as bringing in labour, capital or industry is concerned.
The comment was reported and has a tendency to promote trollish regionalism in follow-ups. It's also probably untrue - Bombay without the Marathis and local people would not be what it is either. The city is surely bigger than just Colaba, Fort and Marine Drive architecture?
@Kian - The Sol Firms can't do without the army of quite talented Court Clerks, who are mostly Marathis and/or from Non-mercantile backgrounds.
Welcome to a life without reservations! This whole concept of Bombay being a place for Marathis is sooo ridiculous to hear from a lawyer! Have you even read the Constitution? Do you understand the basic tenets of Right to Freedom?? Get over sense of entitlement already!

Law firms see merit and do not see any religion, race, caste, gender, creed or even sexual orientation. We should celebrate that we are part of an institution that does not discriminate and is inclusive. Marathi or non-Marathi, as a lawyer, noone should be ask for a reservation in private jobs. You should work towards earning a spot and deserving a spot in any law firm, let alone Tier 1s. It took me four years to land a job in a Tier 1 law firm, but I am proud to say that I did it on my own without any godfather and only through hard work. So stop complaining and start working your ass buddy!