Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
Based on an honest experience as a Jindal Grad:

The answer depends on what your specific priorities are. However assuming the general set of expectations of a law aspirant: NUJS would be the safer option. (Of course do your research and verify everything being said by everyone here, these are all personal opinions and perspectives and may not be entirely true.)

The reasons are the following:

Job Security & Alumni Network: Jindal is a relatively young law school and despite the capital behind it, it’s gonna be a while before it can be at par and deliver as consistently as the top 4-5 NLUs. Most Jindal graduates are still young and are yet to make partner in law firms or make it big in the field of litigation, that is not to say that it will not happen, however you may have graduated by the time Jindal has cemented its reputation. At the moment whether in Litigation or corporate NUJS would probably give you a higher guarantee of securing a Job. Despite recent problems with its administration its placements don’t seem to suffer much. The numbers may indicate a high number of people in jindal securing jobs with top firms however the ratio of people placed to the total number of people in the batch is poor. Furthermore, the people that do get placed may include people that have secured the same through reference or through PPOs they got through internships all on their own. A great chunk of people that get placed at Jindal i.e. the top 1% of the batch are truly gifted and motivated people with near perfect GPAs and impressive extra curricular achievements, the kind of people that would get placed regardless of which college they’re from. So if you’re a mere mortal, above average but not topper kinda kid you may have a higher chance of securing a good starting Job at NUJS.

Internships: You will find it easier to secure internships as an NUJS student than a JGLS one.
The placement cell at Jindal becomes more active during placement season however you may struggle in finding internships through college. The internships are there but like I said only the ones with the highest GPAs get access and a good chunk of people end up without internship support. I don’t know the internal workings of internships at NUJS however from seeing plenty of NUJS people at internships, it’s fair to assume that their cell is fairly active. Furthermore, the current reality is that if you’re applying independently you have a higher chance of securing an internship as an NUJS kid than a Jindal one.

3. College Life: Entirely subjective of course. You will see brilliant dedicated individuals who would not swap jindal for anything because of their experience. However, it is important to note that the University is quite isolated and if you don’t like the college atmosphere then you might struggle as you may not have an outside world to go to. Delhi is a fair bit away and fairly expensive to get to. It also takes ages in commuting no matter what mode of transport you take. I believe NUJS gives you easier access to a metropolitan city. Plus you may find it relatively safer to come back to college in the middle of the night in Kolkata rather than Sonepat. The crowd in Jindal is a mixed one, you’ll find all kinds of people. The stereotype that only elite brats go here is a bit exaggerated, you’ll find a fair bit of people that don’t fall into that category. Honestly, anyone in the general category with access to a law course delivered in English is privileged by the standards of our developing country, so you’ll find a lot of people who are roughly on the same level of access to resources as NLU grads, but yes you will also see a great portion of the Jindal stereotype. I’m being vague here because I can’t throw percentages, but the point is that there are all kinds of people in Jindal but the hard part is that you may find it tedious to meet like minded people because the crowd is huge to go through.

The Upside of Jindal:

If you’re looking for a career in academia or are interested in LLM pathway courses, Jindal may give you a slight advantage over NUJS. There’s no denying the fact that the faculty in Jindal is top notch and having access to these professors would certainly help in getting into academia.

That’s it!
At the end of the day there is more than one way to get to your destination, so if you have a goal you’ll find a way to achieve it in either place. In case you don’t during college, it’s fine life is long just be resilient cuz that’s something you’ll definitely need for law xD.
Best of Luck!