Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Recently, US law firms went on a ride to increase lawyers incomes. India's law firm pays have been stagnant for more than 4-5 years now, can we expect some increment by 2022? Firm splits (such as L&L) and other Tier 2/3 firms paying more than Tier 1, at times, call for a general hike, such as in the US.

Cost of living in India has significantly increased over the past 5 years which is another factor which needs addressing by hiking pay. India's law firm pay has been too low for a while now, as compared to global standards plus the kind of work expected from lawyers. Even banks and in-house jobs in India pay much more than law firms today.
What is the increase in the charge out rates of the firms in last 5 years? And any comparisons with global firm charge outs? The real problem is that the billing rates are continuously under pressure and generally now clients ask for fixed fee, at the same time asking for more senior involvement, further depressing recoveries. This stagnancy is one of the biggest reasons for corresponding stagnancy in salaries. And before someone thinks I'm a troll or firm management, I'm not. Anyone who's PA or above can comment on factual accuracy of what I said about billing rates.
The firms have an understanding between them to not start a wage war. That's what SILF enables.
What is stopping you from joining in house or banks if they pay more than law firms?
How dare you want to improve your conditions of living? Why don't you go elsewhere if you want better conditions? Why are you complaining so much? Here we just shut our eyes to everything and do as our Partner says. If you want otherwise, go to Pakistan.

/s, obviously
Associates are busy across the board right now so salaries are stable. It is possible they may go down in the future. Many reasons:
- commoditized work
- no innovation
- hourly rates not increasing
- clients pushing back on legal costs
- legal work (usually) not considered strategically important
- clients pushing towards fixed fees
- too many law schools, freshers willing to start as paralegals / junior associates to work at 40-50k
- many more first gen lawyers for whom earning even 40-50k in litigation is tough for many years
- courts mostly closed so litigation lawyers trying to shift to corporate
- predatory HR and recruiters hand in glove with each other
- given high NLU/JGLS fees and education loans, freshers have less bargaining power and can't be out of work for long
- unhealthy day zero competition between NLUs
- newer firms like Rajaram snagging big mandates by price undercutting
- promoter greed
- pressure on big law firms to reduce costs to increase margins (e.g. moving offices from Delhi to Noida but not Delhi to Gurugram) to make more equity partners and that equity counting for something
-no real threat from in-house as salaries continue to be much lower in majority of in-house roles
- after recovering the ground lost to covid, economic growth slowing
NLUs are extremely affordable. It is only private unis which are expensive
Hi, I hope you are not trolling and want to ask you how you think NLUs are not expensive. I studied at NLU Delhi. It cost me approximately 1.7 Lakhs in Fees plus another 35 k on mess bills (annually). Apart from this, pursuing many other activities costs money.
Lets say I intern at the Delhi High Court or Supreme Court. Travelling from Dwarka to Pragati Maidan both ways on the metro + last mile auto (at times) + travelling to the lawyer's office by metro/auto (last mile) + lunch and dinner (as you cannot go back to the hostel mess), other incidentals make studying and the whole education process very expensive.
This is not counting the money one has to spend on getting a suit which is mandatory for most ADR/Moot competitions, travel to domestic competitions (even if college foots a good portion of the expenses, food and other incidentals like cab from and to the airport or railway station are seldom covered).
Unless you are from Delhi, travelling back home and to college even once a semester costs money. Don't just think of how you can probably go back home to Rajasthan in under 1000 rupees think about the students who come from different parts of the country.
Doing these activities over 5 years, even if you assume you spend close to nothing on entertainment, costs a bomb. I was fortunate that my parents could afford most of this, but by no measure are NLUs cheap.

I am not saying that the government owes me the best in class education for free, but ask only that you acknowledge that this is not cheap.
To be frank, Indian law firm life isn’t worth it. Not one bit. I was working at a tier-1 law firm which prides on work-life balance but toxicity abounded. Right from unreasonable deadlines, to micromanaging seniors, glorification of working ungodly hours (I am reminded of the lunch break times where people used to boast β€˜Oh, I worked all of Diwali last year!)..the list goes on. The starting salary and bonus is also nothing great, compared to the cost of living. Further, at least until A3 level, nobody got spectacular bonuses (at least to my knowledge). No wonder some folks go off to do an LL.M. abroad and work at US-law firms. These family-owned firms just won’t change - they always felt like glorified sweatshops to me. I couldn’t tolerate the general meanness which was held to be β€˜acceptable’. I am far away from this nonsense, geographically and mentally.
2015 was the last year when major pay hikes happened in the tier 1 law market due to Amarchand split. The lowest salary grade (A0) became 15L then.

Even accounting for an average inflation rate of 5% per year, the indexed salary should be 20.1L. That implies a pay hike of at least 33% across pay bands just to keep up with inflation.

Anyone who has prepared mandates in 2015 and right now would know that hike in hourly rates has been much greater (roughly from 8000 per hour to 12500 per hour approx as per law firms' own submission for journals rankings). That would be more than 55% increase between 2015 to 2021. Even assuming client pushback, it would be absolutely unreasonable to argue that law firms cannot afford to keep up with basic inflation.

The only real factor so far has been the disproportionate bargaining power. With attrition at an all time high, law firms are finding it very very difficult right to find associates at senior levels. While you may have 20 different law colleges lining up for an A0 job, anyone who has been a partner would know how rare a commodity SAs and PAs have become.

If I was at their stage right now - SA and above - I would use this opportunity to properly negotiate a major hike during interviews. Given my workload, I would gladly pay a 30% premium for an SA/PA if the candidate bargained for it.