Read 40 comments as:
Filter By
I recently saw a thread where people were sharing their top 6 NLUs list, and in that thread, I saw a lot of people say that NLIU has declined considerably and should be placed below GNLU and that people are over-ranking NLIU and under-ranking GNLU.

I have a feeling that I am going to hate the intense trimester setup of NLIU.

Alumni/students of GNLU and NLIU please share your views on this as I still am confused. (please keep the discussion civil)

Here is my proposed CLAT preference list: (FOR TOP 6 NLUs)

NLSIU
NALSAR
WBNUJS
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU
Gnlu is better than NLIU in almost everything today. It would be unwise to not put GNLU over NLIU. By the time you graduate, GNlU might overtake NLUJ as well, but in terms of today's position, I would put NLUJ over GNLU. But, without a doubt, I would put GNLU over NLIU
The answer is simple it's NLIU .

1. Smaller batch compared to GNLU.
2. NLIU doesn't have trimester any more .
3. Better job opportunity
Your points make no sense ... GNLU doesn't have a trimester either, so they're on even footing. NLIU placements are not good enough to compete with GNLU, more so 5 years down the line. So your simple answer is actually not simple.
Quote:
GNLU students keep posting on LI, while NLIU students continue to work hard
Yet here you are, hopelessly falling all over your keyboard in an attempt to frame a coherent sentence instead of working hard.
"ONE OF THE SMARTEST STUDENTS"

how this can be decided first. secondly, what NLIU has to do with it? do you mean to say that students when entered were not smart but NLIU made it?
( I am from a private university so don't make it Gnlu vs Niu as your defence to justify your bullshit)
Obviously. The trimester system. The faculty. The rigorous courses. Ask students about 2am project presentations. The location. Everything plays a part in overall development of a student when one spends 5 years there. Since you are from a private university, you will not even understand the life of students at NLUs. You should be the last person butting in on this conversation
GNLU by far, without doubt. I say this as a GNLU alum so I am biased, but facts are facts. GNLU is the richest NLU today by a wide margin and funding really matters. Moots are well funded and encouraged and the admin recently has become very student friendly. What other NLU pays its litigating students a no-questions asked stipend for two years? They also have scholarships for CLAT rankers but if your options are GNLU/NLIU you may not be eligible for that. Your VC matters too and the new Director has made a lot of changes mostly positive. GNLU is on a steep upward trajectory and in another 5 years, it’ll be very far ahead of NLIU even if it isn’t today.
NLIU has a much stronger alumni base. Otherwise I believe these colleges are mostly equal.
If batches from the past 6-7 years are any indication, GNLU is clearly a notch above NLIU.
A 3-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 10-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Gnlu kids have been saying since 2010-12 that they will beat NLIU in 5-6 years. It's been more than 10 years and nothing has changed. Apart from CAM that recruits from GNLU mostly for their Gujarat office (which other nlu students do not even prefer), NLIU has always been higher on preference by any other law firm. Even in terms of lateral recruitment, NLIU students get a preference. The point isn't what gnlu students are made to believe in college. But in practical terms, NLIU have the brightest partners across top firms which GNLU hasn't even managed till date. I will not even count the number of NLIU partners at khaitan and trilegal. There's Akash Choubey, the youngest ever equity partner at a top tier law firm Khaitan, Pallabhi Ghosal, one of the best funds lawyers in the country at AZB, and plenty more. No GNLU alumni has even come close to achieving this success in the amount of time these alumni have. Mooting achievement, faculty, campus wise too NLIU is much better. Not to forget NLIU is now the only other nlu apart from NLS I believe which has a senior counsel. Number of students who have cleared judiciary and civil services is higher. Although in civil services nalsar has been a little better than NLIU. In terms of recruitment, NLS, NALSAR, NLIU, NUJS and NLUJ have been more or less similar. However in the long run, NLS, NLIU and NLIU kids have stood out at firms (NLUJ at Luthra and S&R). Most of the firms look at gnlu after these 5. NLUD is catching up. But placement doesn't always meen success at the firm. Success is seen with performance over time. That's something one learns in college with studies rather than self glorification without facts online.

It's funny reading the above comments above because students forget that their alumni are actually working together, so the question of who is better, is not really difficult to judge in an office. It would be better to reach out to your alumni, ask them who is better, and work on it, rather than misguiding a junior looking for genuine advice, only to prove a point to yourself.

Currently I believe amongst NLUs, the number of partners in a top tier law would be really close between NLIU and NUJS after NLS. I wouldn't be surprised if NLIU is still ahead. After that I believe would be NLUJ followed by NALSAR then GNLU. As I said, getting a job makes no difference if one cannot succeed at that job.
Only NLIU students have been speaking with names of firms, alumni reach and names etc. I don't think it's a very difficult choice to make. I've googled names of these firms and seniors and their prior work experience. It's a straightforward decision in my opinion. Also the down votes clearly shows that it is the gnlu students down voting and obviously nliu students aren't even visiting or aren't bothered about online fanfare. Especially given that most of that information is in fact true. Ep law is by an alumni who was earlier at Luthra. Ive been reading about Ikigai on the deals section.

I don't know much about Akash Choubey or Pallavi but their profiles are surely impressive. Thanks everyone for the help!
I would understand someone's confusion about NUJS, NLIU or NLUJ. But NLIU and GNLU is funny to be honest. Its been more than 20 years these colleges are in existence. I would even suggest nlud, nlu Mumbai and jgls above gnlu. Till date the top 5 were and are still the same.
NLUD is ranked above GNLU, that isn't the hot take you seem to think it is. JGLS doesn't compete for the same students that GNLU does. MNLU is all hot air and no placements, nothing so far. MNLU's success is as much a figment of their own imagination as their campus is.
I have a sub-question - how do they compare in terms of research/policy/ADR?
From what I've seen GNLU is outperforming NLIU at practically everything, from placements to moots and publications, has better infrastructure and better faculty. No brainer honestly.
If you look up at who is recruiting you, it's alumni from NLS, NUJS, NLIU and NLUJ. Don't jump so much on something which might come to bite you on the backside later. Don't think partners from other colleges don't read your comments. Be grateful that they are fair unlike you'll.
NLIU vs GNLU: Please give me an answer in terms of placements as I've to take a loan. [...]
Got my CLAT rank yesterday, now I've to make a decision. I'm willing to work hard because I'll be having a good sum of loan, just in need of some guidance.
NLIU is 800Kms from my home, GNLU is 1500Kms.
Fees is more or less the same.
Eventually it'll all come down to placements for me, especially an in house counsel. I'm so tensed can't even think, any detailed answer would be appreciated.

Also, any idea about scholarship?

Thank you so much for your time, please have a great day ahead.
Atleast people started accepting NLS as the top law school in the country.
I hope LI has the decency to post this. I'm quite surprised seeing the sheer hatred against NLIU from GNLU which is surprising, shocking and to say the least appalling! Firms like even khaitan since years, having an NLIU alumni as the recruiting partner, has been recruiting students from other universities too. They do have bulk from NLIU, yet. Partners I wouldn't name from CAM, SAM and Trilegal have been recruiting from across colleges, including private, point being fair. It's about individual achievement over colleges.

The shocking thing being few mischievous gnlu students in the aim of proving (mine is bigger than yours) which tried to revive a degree issue which was actually sorted by NLIU long back with verdict.

Simple point is... If gnlu students think that every NLIU graduate degree is fake, why is such NLIU partner recruiting them? Because technically gnlu students are questioning partners at every firm and their degree even post them being recruited by these partners! I'm not in any law firm in India now but out.

But these are very serious allegations by gnlu students against even current NLIU partners which is unfathomable, to be honest! If LI could publish all this non sense. This message too deserves a read. We as alumni too will discuss and consider the possibility of recruiting gnlu grads who think this way. It's a serious allegation that needs to be addressed. Last thing a partner wants is a junior thinking as such.

I hope the comments here are an exception and not the rule. I've worked with good gnlu lawyers too. It seems like the frustrated ones not getting something venting out here. Gnlu NLIU alumni have been doing well. But such kind of cheap play would make someone wonder that all gnlu students think similarly. Which would need appropriate action. For example fake degree NLIU partners should not be recruiting high achieving gnlu kids?

Rare times I see such level of hatred and stopping down. I'd still give an individual their due irrespective of college, but not with hate speeches. FYI.. I've recruited someone from indore Institute of law because he was good by heart and hardworking. Don't regret it!

I would like to bring this up with the NLIU Alumni soon since gnlu has unnecessarily made it dirty. But again I hope this is an exception and not the rule
Yeah man. NLIU partners would stop recruiting from GNLU based on anon trollish comments on LI. If any partner actually does that, then their degree should be probably be reexamined.
A 5-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 67-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.