Read 52 comments as:
Filter By
Judicial Services salary (starting) varies across India.

It can range from Rs. 50'000 to Rs. 100'000 + depending on the State. With highest paid one's in Delhi and lowest in the south.

Salaries given on Government websites have a lot of complicated components and doesn't make sense calculating each states in-hand pay. There are many discussions on law firm salaries here.

Please help throw some light into Lower Judiciary salaries, perks and other details (work life matter here) if you know about the same.
Just wondering, will this thread get an equal amount of drama as the UPSC v. Judiciary thread?

gets popcorn
Please don't make this thread an NLU vs Non-NLU, Law Firm vs UPSC vs Judiciary. For god's sake. C'mon.
Basic pay- 27700
D. A.- 41000 (Around 150% of basic pay in most states)
Interim relief given by 2nd NJPC - 8500 (1/3 of pay)
Around 75000 in cash excluding employer's contributions and deductions.
States following 7th cpc like delhi gives 56000 basic and 28% D.A.

Perks and allowances-
Free 3bhk accommodation in a bunglow or flat.
Petrol (50-100 litres depending on state).
Electricity and water ( From 50% bill to free).
A home peon or around Rs 8000 to hire a domestic help.
Free newspaper, mobile, internet bills.
Laptop, phone and furniture allowances are different in all states.
1 PSO in some States.
Updated -

After implementation of 2nd NJPC, all states & UT have now uniform pay scale (perks are pending).

Basic at Junior Division (Entry) - Rs. 77840 to Rs. 1,36,520

Basic at HJS (Entry) - Rs. 1,44,840 to Rs. 1,94,660

In short, Basic :

Min. - Rs. 77840 & Max.- Rs. 2,24,100

DA - 30% onward per month

Rest about latest perks, pending in SC don't know when ME LORD will pass πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

ENJOY
Hy everyone! I am a LLM candidate and part time Research Associate at one of the famous judicial coaching institute. Recently after implemention of 2nd NJPC, on the instruction of institute, I along with my team drafted a detailed salary structure for the judicial aspirants. The research based on the data provided by respected Judicial Officers of different states. Here I am only sharing the starting pay at all Grade in brief for rough idea. If Institute allow, then will try to share the pdf link of salary structure in detail here. Thanks

CIVIL JUDGE (JUNIOR) - Starting Basic : Rs. 77,840

DA : 42% (revised every 6 month)

Cash Allowances : Rs. 8K - 12K

Total Monthly: Rs.1.18L - Rs. 1.22L

Total Annual: Rs.14.2L - Rs.15L

CIVIL JUDGE (SENIOR) - Starting

Basic : Rs.1,11,000

Cash Allowances : Rs. 14K - Rs.20K

Total Monthly : Rs.1.71L - Rs. 1.77L

Total Annual : Rs.20.5L - Rs.21.3L

DISTRICT JUDGE (ENTRY) - Starting

Basic : Rs.1,44,840

Cash Allowances - Rs. 22K - Rs. 35K

Total Monthly : Rs.2.27L - Rs.2.41L

Total Annual : Rs.27.24 L - Rs. 28.8L

DISTRICT JUDGE (SELECTION) - Starting

Basic : Rs. 1,63,030

Cash Allowances - Rs. 33K - 50K

Total Monthly : Rs. 2.64L - Rs. 2.8L

Total Annual : Rs. 31.7L - Rs. 33.6L

DISTRICT JUDGE (SUPER TIME) - Starting

Basic : Rs. 1,99,100

DA: 42% (revised every 6 month)

Allowances (in cash) - Rs. 48K - 65K

Total Monthly : Rs.3.3L - Rs.3.47L

Total Annual: Rs. 39.6L - Rs. 41.64L

NOTE :

1. Both State & Centre have made changes in the DA pattern for next 10yr i.e., 2016 to 2025 for every govt. employees. In 2026, the DA pattern will again revised with pay (expected). In July 2016, the DA was at 2% but since Jan 2023 it is 42% both at Centre and State.

2. Allowances which paid in cash like Medical, Sumptuary, petrol, etc., are only taken for calculations. Non-Cash Allowances like HRA, Domestic Helper, Transport, etc., are not included because it only paid when particular subjects are not available.

3. Basic & DAs are now made uniform across India.

4. These are Gross Salaries because deductions varies states to states like some state are followings NPS & some OPS.
How is Assam Judicial Services? Can anybody working in assam judicial services tell me whether 2ndNPJC has been implemented?
Civil Judge ( Entry) - Rs. 77840 to Rs.163030

Civil Judge (Senior)- Rs.111000 to Rs.194660

District Judge - Rs. 144840 to Rs. 224100

Source - 2nd NJPC approved by SC
Hey, Thank you for the information!

But, please can u confirm the scenario of DJS, too?, cuz I've heard that their's salary still regulated by central pay commission 10th lvl!

So pls can u confirm it, that whether is 2nd njpc implemented or not?
Yes, 7CPC was regulated till decision date but after dismissal of review petition (filed by Centre & 3 states) on 3 April 2023, 2nd NJPC implemented automatically. They have to settle all arrears till June 2023.

New Joiners of 'DJS, 23' (whom I know) have not received hike yet but they said notification has already been issued few days back.
Which notification has been issued a few days back? Can you clarify?
Hey, pls can you clarify that notification which you are talking abt.?!
DJS is still at seventh pay commission, that is correct. It is among the 6 states+UTs that have not implemented the SJPC (Second Judicial Pay Commission). Accordingly, contempt petitions against these 6 states+UTs have been filed before the SC by the All India Judges Assn. You can track the case status (Writ Petition (Civil) 634 of 2015 on the website of the SC. This case is ongoing on questions of allowances, pay, pension, as well as the tagged contempt petitions.

On whether Delhi will implement the SJPC or not -- since the SJPC is now the law of the land as per the SC order, and in light of SC's dismissal of the review petitions, the Delhi Govt will have to implement the SJPC eventually. When it will do so remains to be seen.
DJS was a big deal in the past. DJS Salaries were super high compared to other state judicial services. For instance - there were some states having 50K salary, but DJS was paying 1LPA. Now after 2nd Pay Commission, everyone gets almost the same pay. No big differences.
It still is a big deal because salary is not the only metric to decide. DJS attracts a larger pool of applicants for many other reasons. For eg, transfers are much better because nobody gets posted outside delhi, as compared to the states where you have to shift your permanent base often, which possibly includes postings in far-off places. In DJS, officers live in a metropolitan city throughout their career (though, understandably, some people might prefer serving in their home states over a metropolitan city). Also, the types of court, infra, scope of work, facilities in courtrooms, etc., are other factors that make DJS a more attractive service. There are serving judicial officers of other states who still appear for DJS and even leave their seniority in other states if they get selected in DJS. That says something?
Hey, just tell me one thing,

Is it necessary to be In a good law college to crack DJS??
There are people from NLUs whom i have known from my coaching who were unable to clear while other students from CLC, Punjab University, etc were able to clear it. i know people from nalsar, nlud, nluo, nujs, who were unable to clear it. Competitive exams main itna black and white nahi hota.

There are two things to keep in my mind (imo) - (1) how many attempts a person takes to crack the exam. Since the notifications for judiciary do not follow a fixed timeline (as is the case with UPSC), the pressure to crack as early as possible is higher as one doesn't know how long it will take for the next notification. (2) It might be easier to crack the exam based on how studious/academically focused you were in college and which college you come from (both), but this is also not set in stone. I think any studious student has an advantage because they have the temperament or habit (jo bhi bula lo) of sitting and studying for long hours. Moreover, if such a student is from a good NLU then i think it is even easier because they have a fair amount of practice at writing application-based answers, or writing fast in exams. But, in all, you can bridge these gaps with hardwork+smartwork, irrespective of college (though as i said, the attempts may vary). For eg, some people clear the exam without coaching also, and some can't clear even with coaching -- this shit isn't black and white.
I am responding to the post πŸ‘‰

"There are serving judicial officers of other states who still appear for DJS and even leave their seniority in other states if they get selected in DJS"

My response-

Yes you r right many serving J.S appear for DJS even ready to compromise with seniority but the actual reason as far I learned from perosnal conversations & discussions, the prime reason is that Delhi provide ample of career prospects in law than other states. Here in Delhi, there is very high demand of Judicial Officers from Delhi Judicial Service because of number of factors.

Not everyone but majority of them join to ace their legal career apart from judiciary especially who comprise seniority. Because within DJS, the Progression scope is poor, strict, time taking & rigid, even chance of promoting to HC is low in comparison to other states. But outside it there is a flood of opportunities especially for judicial officers. An Ex-Delhi Judicial Officer with 5-8 yr of Experience & familiar with legal field of Delhi can easily make it to Associate Partner & above scale in any T1 firms. Like an Ex-civil judge (Sr. Div) with 10 yr in DJS (also cleared UP & Haryana) & 7-8 year of practical experience, joined as Deputy Counsel of Tech giant and promoted to Gensral Cousel (South) shortly with package of nearly 2.4 Cr. posted at Singapore office (i got to know about him through firm where he worked).

Inshort - If want to enjoy luxury of Judiciary & looking for good career scope within Judicial Service then don't join Delhi but if searching for dream legal career opportunities other than judiciary then DJS is best.
Bahut hi inaccurate opinion hai yeh toh. Whoever reads it^, pls dont believe it blindly.
Responding to πŸ‘‡
"Bahut hi inaccurate opinion hai yeh toh. Whoever reads it^, pls dont believe it blindly."

Why ? Could plz explain. The facts I share is what I received from Ex-officers. I am working in Delhi Courts and there are number of Ex-DJSs officers who are practicing along with us. So, when we meet & discuss on topics related to judiciary, they share many hidden facts. Even there are number of ex-Chief Justice & HC judges practicing in SC, they used to shares many odd about Indian judiciary & litigation which we never imagined. Unknown means unknown & definitely none will share such facts openly or publicly with disclosure of identity. Even on quora there are various post sharing these info.
Bhai, ye kitna flawed logic hai. There are retired high court judges from so many states who practise before the supreme court post-retirement. For eg, Justice (Retd) R. Basant and Justice (Retd) S. Nagamuthu. Ab agar kal log thread banayenge ki HC main judge banein kya, toh tum bologe ki agar supreme court main eventually practise karna hai tabhi high court judge banana chahiye varna matt bana.

Just because some DJS/DHJS officers post-retirement choose to practice law (ye literally kisi bhi state ke retired judicial officers kar sakte hai) or they choose to pursue another career after judicial work -- iska ye thodi matlab hua ki unless you want to do these things, DJS/DHJS join matt karo.

Bhai, i know people who left law firm jobs to join DJS, woh kyun kiya phir agar baad main law firm main hi job karni thi? You are telling people to join DJS so they can become a law firm partner or legal counsel? That's just hilarious because people leave that to pursue judicial service. Even if you know some people who have done the opposite, that is such anecdotal experience. There are many others who do the complete opposite, please keep that in mind? There are litigating lawyers who join DJS and then continue in it till their retirement. Tumhare answers se toh lag raha hai jaise the route is 'DJS -> litigation', but it is actually the other way around also for many? Have a more holistic opinion man.

Judges from all over india post-retirement continue to work in different fields or capacities. Kuch professors bann jaate hai in law schools. Ab tum bologe next ki agar professor banna hai toh DJS join karlo kyunki i know someone who did that xD.

I know so many (through personal interaction only) judicial officers who joined judicial service not to later become litigators or legal counsels for companies, but because they wanted to be a judge. PERIOD. Sure, once they retire, they might choose 'n' number of things because zindagi retirement pe khatam nahi hoti, but that doesnt mean ki unka judge banne ka decision uss post-retirement plan ka step 1 tha.
"Inshort - If want to enjoy luxury of Judiciary & looking for good career scope within Judicial Service then don't join Delhi..."

This year in April, three Delhi Higher Judicial Services (DHJS) Officers were appointed as judges to the Delhi High Court. Bas, dikh gaya 'career scope'?
But those are from higher Judicial Services,not from lower Judicial Services, right ?
Subordinate judiciary ke log higher judiciary main jaate hain. Higher judicial services main zyada seats are for subordinate judiciary via promotions & departmental exams. Zaahir si baat hai ki subordinate judiciary se directly thode na high court jayenge.
Nope, I'm saying something different, you said from higher Judicial services, so I understood kii tumne bola 1st practice 7 years then exams of HJS, then all process!!
Bhai, that is the very nature of promotions. XD

Sab thode na promote kiye ja sakte hai?

Kisi bhi job main, sabka progression same hota hai kya? Law firms main jo log aaj A0s hain, kya sab ke sab 10 saal main partners bann jayenge?
They were Direct appointees HJS not Promotee HJS. Same year appointed HJS (include promotee) in other states like UP, MP, Raj promoted 1-2 year back & became their senior.

So, Mr. Counsel u've very lame arguments. case dismissed
Unrelated to this conversation but isnt the standard of life much better in delhi than most of these states? I dont mean greenery and big bungalows etc (as stated by others, in a place like delhi, these are missing), but I mean schools, hospitals, things to do after work, finding likeminded people? Won’t a judicial officer get posted to any random district until they get elevated to the HC, which would only happen in the 50s, as per my estimate? And in the beginning when one isnt even a district judge, judicial officers could get posted to sub-districts and even smaller towns too, right? I’m from one of these states but lived in the capital city of that state my entire childhood, I’m quite confused about whether to prioritise my homestate exam or DJS. I’m leaning towards DJS because I don’t want to get thrown from one small town to other only in the hope that in my 50s I’ll reach the HC in the capital. Anyone else confused similarly? What else should i keep in mind?
My uncle was an ADJ belongs to DJ (Entry Grade) retired last Nov. 2022. His basic at the time of retirement was Rs.1,67,920.

Few days back I saw his March month pension which was : Pay - Rs. 83,960 (half of basic)

DA - 42%

Medical - Rs. 500

Special pay - Rs. 1000 (will be revised more)

Total Pension (Monthly) = Rs. 1.21 L 😱

Man he is also getting paid some additional allowances (given to every retired Judges) which sums upto Rs. 8K. If add this then it would be total = Rs. 1.3L.

Uncle was saying that some more allowances he will get probably from August or Sept.
Guyz this thread is on "Salary or Pension of Judicial Officer throughout India" then what is the need of spamming this thread with irrelevant topics? Either we all are graduates or soon to be graduates so apply some common sense. If one wants to know about any specific states Judiciary or comparison b/w states judiciary or anything else then other thread can be created its totally totally free then what's the problem, but please don't spam here. This thread is created for those who want to know about the -

1. Pay scale or pension of judges in states.

2. Comparison in pay in different states

So if you know then share or if want to know then ask but only related to Pay scale or pension.

AGAIN I AM REQUESTING YOU ALL TO STICK YOUR VIEWS ONLY TO SALARY OF JUDGES.

ALSO NOTE : "SALARY OF JUDGES" means here is only the pay of District Court Judges so please DON'T SHARE HC & SC JUDGES PAY.

@Team LI, I request you to not publish any comments not related with the topic.
Hey I've created a separate thread - "Best State for Judicial Service". I request to all of you to join there & share your logical views about specific States/UTs judicial services & let this thread only for Salary or Pension.

Link -https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/259170
When I want to join Judiciary, law firms had handsome package, when I set my mind to go for firm, the judiciary came with handsome surprise.

Ye kya bΓ—Γ—Γ—Γ—c chal rahi hai kidhar jaye apun 😭
Hey does 2njpc implemented in delhi ??? If possble plse also share the link of order
Check the Expd. Department website might they have published the order. But many one claiming that it has been implemented.
Department of Justice, Govt. Of India deals with SC, HCs & Judicial Courts of UTs. Any uniform update/circular related to them like revision of pay/da, etc. issued by DoJ.

Currently they've not update about implementation on their webiste but from various sources claiming it has been implemented.

Don't worry the upcoming advt. of DJS or DHJS exam whenever out will clear the air that whether implemented or not.
Pay & allowances UT courts are deals by DoJ rest deal by Law Dept Nct Delhi
A 84-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 20-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.