Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
I am a Tier 2 corp law firm associate (1 year PQE) considering a shift to litigation in Bangalore. Can anyone please shed light on some of the good offices(both chambers and law firms). Primarily, I am looking for good mentorship. If they pay well, that's an added bonus.
Dua, Indus, AZB & JSA among the bigger law firms. Lot of good boutiques also like Keystone.
Crest Law is a good local firm. Good quality of work, great people.
If the person has worked for an year in the corporate team at a law firm, then would that person have to start as an A0 after moving to litigation or will the designation be A1?
Mr. Manu Kulkarni who heads the disputes practice at Poovayya and Co. would be a great mentor. Would also recommend Mr. Sreevatsa's chambers.
I was looking forward to applying at Arista. Can you please tell why it is not great?
How easy is it to move to these firms from Mumbai Tier 1? And is language a barrier (if one joins a disputes office, not chambers of litigating lawyers)
Dont know how easy it is to move, but yes, in any disputes practice in Bangalore including in practices of firms and not just chambers, knowledge of Kannada is a must. Most lawyers appear by themselves and don't brief. Clients also tend to speak in kannada.
As someone who's interned and dealt with various lawyers in Bangalore. Knowing how to speak Kannada is a MUST if you want to litigate there, reading and writing are preferred to, but not absolutely necessary like speaking is.
But most of Commercial Litigation happens in English right?

If Kannada is really necessary, then why are Litigation teams of many law firms have North Indian associates who doesn't know the same?
My smart friend, litigation (of all kinds) is not only arguing in court, is it now? You are dealing with a host of other people from court staff, to opposing counsels to your own clerk, most of whom would prefer to speak in Kannada. Plus, the region is such that not knowing Kannada also creates an impediment in networking, which is critical for building a successful litigation practice.

Ask your fellow North-Indian associates who are in Litigation teams in Bangalore, how often the language is a barrier.
Dr Aditya Sondhi's chambers are very good. He's mentored quite a few young litigators.
Don't think he's taking on fresh blood, pending his imminent elevation
A 22-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.