Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
I've been seeing quite a few threads of LI recently pertaining to people wanting to work abroad. That got me thinking. I want to know how are the opportunities abroad like for lawyers. I'm currently in my third year so I think I have time to prepare for a career abroad. I'm up for an MBA as well as that has always been on my mind. General comments?
JD/LLM/MBA/anything else?
Are there any good career opportunities in foreign countries for law grads from India? Can LLM help me get a job in foreign countries?
Law and overseas do not go hand in hand ! Barely three to four out of every class make it abroad ! Switch your career line, if you intend to settle abroad. This is the best thing to do !
I agree with your point about switching fields. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at NZ / Canada as my preferred destination.
Naah.......

These 2 are easy options for you. Canada has something like a series of tests (NCA Exams- Law), which you have to take to become a solicitor (1 year) You can't go to Quebec thou. New Zealand also it is possible to convert your Indian Law Degree.

But trust me, the pay is so low in Canada and even NZ, if you are going to firms in Bay Street it will be manageable, but almost impossible to get unless you have worked in a Tier 1 Law Firm in India.

Even some T1/2 A3's in India (AZB, CAM, Wadia Gandhy & likes) who migrated to Canada are doing low-paying immigration filing and compliance work. Canada is not an international business hub like London and it has a small economy unlike the US, so does the work. You may even start your career for C$30 K per year (almost poverty wages)

It will take 10 years for you to settle in as a lawyer in Canada. After 10 years, even if you start at a small firm you can make CA$150K (good life in the suburbs) Is it worth it----- ask yourself.

If you already have a good life/future in India (Tier 1/2 or even 3/4, Good Chambers/Seniors, or a Govt job, I won't say Canada and NZ are worth it for you.
Haan bhai iske basis pe hi to Visa milega. If you don't have something relevant to contribute that is fine but at least don't try to take him down for no reason.
Hi, I'm the same person whose comment you replied to. I'm a 2 PQE at a tier 1 firm in India, but I'm considering immigrating because my fiance is dead set on it (she is not a lawyer). I have heard people echo similar sentiments to the one you've expressed, and this is a reason why I'm considering switching fields. You seem to be someone with experience, so kindly answer two of my follow-up questions, if you can:

1. How exactly does one go about securing these Bay Streets jobs? How can I build my profile to become competitive for them? Also, I know about NCAs and they seem like a cakewalk. However, I'm concerned about the articling requirement - it seems like there are more students than actual spots.
2. Any suggestions on alternatives? Ideally, something law adjacent but I'm open to all options at this stage. I'm willing to do another degree if need be.

I look forward to your response. Thank you.
Are you me? It's spooky that almost every single thing you just said describes my life.
Hahaha, hello, brother! You know of our predicament, please share any valuable information you have. I'm really lost right now. I value my fiance more than my legal career here, so I'm really thinking of taking the plunge.
Hey there,

Don't be hurt. But if you are a Tier 1 Associate trying to move to Canada or NZ. It's fairly possible for you to get Into a Bay Street Firm.

But the problem is that Canadian Legal Market has an overflow of Talent. That too highly educated (LLM - US, UK) talent because of excessively qualified migration. There is very less illegal immigration. And the ones immigrating are over qualified for every job.

With a Tier 1 Law Firm job in India, if you move to USA, if you have immigration (firms hate to sponsor you) with an LLM you can easily get into a AM 100. It's super easy. Not so easy in Canada.

I know people who work at Target and Walmart secretly with NIT Degrees.

Getting a law firm job is not as easy as getting in India. So don't have high expectations. Since I am not in Canada. Will give more details in the future. This is what my friends have experienced.
You can get exemption from articling based on your Indian experience. A lot of people I know have done that. Getting a good job is hard though, that is the general feedback.
I am the person who wrote the negative reply initially.

(Low Salaries, Highly Competitive & Tough to get to Bay Street)

I think you should go to Canada. If you value your spouse and if you like the country as such. I was a bit negative, I didn't even talk about the positive side actually.
What are some career options one can switch to from a lawyer which will ease the chances of moving overseas?
Quote:
I didn't even talk about the positive side actually.
Hey, the same guy to whom you replied. Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks!
Hi, my knowledge of the USA is extremely limited. Could you please expand your point re the USA?
Why is no one talking about CAM's mandatory return to office policy amidst the threat of third wave, especially when the peak is expected in October?