Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
During the online proctored end semester examinations , a girl student on 21st June was asked "wait 3 more minutes baby" by the proctor after she asked when to submit her paper. This incident has blown up in the media- and the amount of articles on in it , some of which are as follows

1.https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/bangalore/bengaluru-christ-university-female-student-alleges-invigilator-addressed-her-as-baby-7372044/
2. https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/christ-university-students-allege-inappropriate-behaviour-proctor-151083
3.https://www.news18.com/news/india/3-more-mins-baby-professors-message-to-bengaluru-student-creates-uproar-university-justifies-intent-3882374.html

Despite such a huge incident (just one of incidents ) that was reported - the tone-deaf management continues to evade calls by media and parents on the action taken during after the incident. This despite the fact that faculty of the university itself are proctors. A Christ University FAQ about its end semester examinations stated that the university uses a third-party online examination platform for its examinations and that the proctors are faculty members. “The platform allows the students to take the examinations from the safety of their homes. The faculty of the University proctor the examination online and the entire duration of the examination is video and audio recorded to enable the verification of conduct of the Examination"

What are the types of sexual / mental harrasment you faced while studying ?? Eg Moral policing , dress code, sexism , arbitary suspensions - the list goes on xD Other NLU's and law unis can also share to throw light on how effective universities are towards students mental health !!1
So I was in Christ junior college before I came to university, please note that I was obviously a minor then because it's 11th &12th grade equivalent, i’ve had security gaurds - men that too - stop me at gate because they thought the "material" wasn't appropriate. Our dress code was kurta, pants and dupatta, and I'm frankly not comfortable with men staring at the material that I'm wearing and tell me it's inappropriate. That's absurd. This obviously continued after I entered university as well. But they brought in a woman that would stand at the gates just to check our dress code. And note that the university never had a compulsory dupatta rule, so most of us never actually wore? But sometimes these women used to randomly stop us and ask us, no reason whatsoever. I've been asked why my pants aren't touching my ankles, and why my pants' material isn't the normal cotton pants. I mean, yeah I mix and match my clothes but so what? I never wore jeans or anything, so I never got what the violation was? It was really weird because the way they'd speak to us was realllllly rude, the tone is rude as hell.

This one time a professor asked me to stop wearing a jacket because it was denim. Like I was wearing a denim jacket lol not even pants, because it was winter and I was so confused. I'm like huh what's wrong with denim jackets? But obviously we could NEVER ask them anything we'd always live with the fear of suspension and we know that nobody will have our backs.

Everytime I had to visit our associate dean or director for permissions for anything, I was always told to borrow someone's dupatta to wear and visit them. Weird because dupatta was never actually compulsory in our dress code, I've no idea why I had to live with the fear of receiving backlash.

I've also had professors in class say stuff like "madam you're like that like this" and we've had professors that make disgusting sexist jokes and we've just...had to pass it off because we didn't know how to hold them accountable.

We've had professors that talk about issues and power structures within marriage like it's nothing, preach that manusmriti is, infact, a holy book that we should all abide by. And professors that literally say "us and them" while teaching personal laws.

This is not all, I'm sorry this rant will never end, but a friend was asked to "wear a veil" after commenting on her cleavage. It's absolutely disgusting and literally no one deserves this.

A certain professor has told a senior of mine that she shouldn't wear leggings because it's provocative - this is LITERALLY textbook sexism, the whole college knew this and we could NEVER do anything about this.
This one time, I had a male professor tell me that "oh you do quizzing also?" or something of that sort, in a very demeaning manner and it broke me because I went back to my PG and cried so much that day because it was really fucking demotivating. I had my male partners with me and they didn't have to hear anything of that sort. This was because we were trying to get permissions or something. I'm just bringing it all back I want them to we remember everything they try to push us down
One semester my attendance had gone down really bad because of my mental health and the counselor spoke to me and I told her exactly what was up. I told her everything that I was going through, especially because of the pandemic and losing people that are close to me, but the counselor straight up told me "but you still have to maintain attendance no? it's university rule, it'll affect your hall ticket chances otherwise", it's so disgraceful because the point of having counselors is act as our support systems, to help us out when we're going through things. When I'm spiralling and literally losing the will to live, I'm not sure why my counselor constantly reminds me of my fucking attendance? I'm like where the hell is the empathy. Honestly, after that, I put myself through so much shit to ensure I don't have to meet counselors again because they disgust me. They're just puppets to the management and nobody actually wants to help us with our issues.
Sorry, but this is not SH. "Baby" is not being used in a sexual sense here.
Are you the licensed on-the-spot interpreter for what other people say?
Then what f-ing sense was it used in, kind sir? How many 'normal' conversations do you have in which you call unknown people 'baby'?

How many conversations have you seen where a person in power (the invigilator) refers to the student as 'baby'? And what possible sense could there be, if not sexual? Please enlighten us.
When i was in first year of lawschool - the dean literally harrassed me and my friennds (almost to the point of crying ) . All because we wanted to claim attendance for just half a day to attend a conference at NLS. Class teacher was even worse he was like "what if i sign and you guys go to a lake and drown yourselves ? College will be liable". The whole process of taking permission to attend external events and later claim them is mentally taxing for students. We have t run behind teachers to get a million signatures and maintain 85% attendance , and attendance claims gets updated only in the end of the year , so if you loose your attendance below 85% during the semester you are screwd- the hall ticket is blocked , you get extra assignments , the teachers judge you and the amount of fines you have to pay
A 1667-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.