Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Former Vice-Chancellor of National Law University, Odisha and Registrar of National Law School of India University, Bangalore Prof V Nagaraj has been appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of Dharmashastra National Law University (DNLU), Jabalpur.
He replaces founding Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof Balraj Chouhan at the helm.

Prof Nagraj began his career as a Lecturer at Havanur College of Law, Bangalore in 1989. Three years later, he was appointed Assistant Professor of Law at NLSIU, and became Associate Professor of Law in 1997. He became Additional Professor of Law in 2000 and Professor of Law in 2006.

He was a Research Scholar at Vanderbilt Law School, USA in 1994 and at Warwick University, UK in 1997.

He served as Registrar at NLSIU from 2008 to 2013 and was later appointed as Vice-Chancellor of NLU Odisha, where he worked for one year before moving back to teach at NLSIU.[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/MU4WPk4GGQ3iNyRr8[/img]
Who were the members of the search committee? Who were other two persons in the panel of probables who missed the bus? When was this DNLU started? Prof. V. Nagraj should prove a good VC as he has the experience of being a Registrar at NLU Bangluru.
Seems that you have no idea about the person. Were you taught by him in NLS? Were you in admin and reported to him when he was the registrar? You seem to be v confident about his experience of being a registrar at NLU Bangluru
How many of the new hires have become Professors already? Mrinal, I'm guessing. Maybe Aparna too? Anyone else?
Another non-TLC who can't spell 5 letter words - exits!

PS: Wouldn't have gone after you but for the needless TLC crap. @Kian - does this term not invite your censorship like bhakt or sickular or one of the others you are busy targeting in another thread?
As someone from an NLU, I thoroughly approve of this comment. There are several bad apples who have failed to get any education worth speaking of from their respective NLUs. Those are the ones using this term in a derogatory fashion.
These guys are just trolls better ignored. Some of the finest professors in the pre-NLS era and even now are drawn from TLCs. They simply refuse to get off their unjustified high horses.
How is TLC a term of abuse? It stands for Traditional Law Colleges. It's a fact. On the other hand, "bhakt" is a sarcastic term as it refers to a devotee of a Hindu god.
The similarity lies in the connotation and context. Bhakti by itself is something worth looking upon positively.
Seen plenty of NLU alum faculty turn out to be duds over the years. However, Sudhir does seem to have recruited mostly capable people so far, so that's certainly a plus.
The founder Vice Chancellor of NLSIU was a Professor from mainstream law college (MLC). NLSIU became no.1 under subsequent Vice Chancellors from MLC background. Prof. Upendra Baxi who was the first designate VC of NLSIU did not go to Bengaluru to become VC; he is also from MLC club.
Apart from Sudhir, all NLU VCs, successful or otherwise, have been like that only.
You clearly seem to have no friends. How are stories on Assam's ex VC relevant here? It's like blaming fellow lawyers for allegations against one of them. Grow up!
Unfortunately, Assam does not have good academics of its own, unless the govt invites Shubhankar Dam from England to take charge as VC at a young age.
Bwahaha! People think that academics teaching abroad are just waiting with bated breath when the state government would invite them to take charge of these unknown dinky little colleges masquerading as universities.
Why not? Being VC of NLSIU/NALSAR/NLUD is a hugely prestigious post . Being VC of NLU Assam can hasten one's appointment to the post.
You may consider those as prestigious. I assure you, most academics working abroad do not think so, including the alumni from different NLUs. Most of them have got very little interest to come back to Indian academia full-time unless they have got other obligations. Cannot really blame them given our misplaced sense of priority and lack of long-term institutional policy, especially at the NLUs.
Speak for other NLUs if you want, but Law School is certainly prestigious enough to attract most academics working abroad. Sudhir was offered full professorship at Oxford (with the cohort that had Lavanya being recruited, and Dev/Tarun being promoted). He turned that down to apply for Law School's VC post.
Really? How many academics actually working abroad applied for the post? Regardless of your doubtful and unverifiable claims about what Sudhir might have been offered, he was not an Indian academic working abroad when he took up the position. He has never done that full-time in his entire career. Whether that's by choice or because of circumstances is immaterial in this context. Apart from Srividhya Raghavan, no academic working abroad full time and of any repute has even applied to be the VC of any NLU till date.
I don't why people are using "MLC" instead of "TLC" when TLC is a popular abbreviation for a widely used and accepted term, i.e. traditional law college. This causes needless confusion. Please see these links below. Many established persons and websites use the term "traditional law college" but I have never heard anyone say "mainstream law college". I request every to stick to TLC.

A law jorunal:
"A successful community lawyering program of a traditional law college may not be appropriate for the national law schools."
https://dspace.library.uvic.ca/bitstream/handle/1828/11039/Routh_S_GlobBusDevelLawJ_2011.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

A professor at NUJS:
"I am the best person to say this having studied from a traditional law college and now being a faculty at National Law University, Kolkata"
https://libertatem.in/parley-with-the-pirates/interview-with-prof-dr-sreenivasulu-n-s-professor-nujs-kolkata-member-of-international-council-of-jurists-icj-london/

A college principal:
"Since it is a traditional law college, there is no liberty to design or change the curriculum like various institutes."
https://collegedunia.com/news/c-8808-interview-dr-ch-sudhakara-babu-principal-at-jc-college-of-law-guntur-andhra-pradesh

Lawctopus:
"The Frustrations of Studying at a Traditional Law College"
https://www.lawctopus.com/the-frustrations-of-studying-at-a-traditional-law-college/
I wonder if Harvard, Oxbridge, etc. are TLCs too. They have been around long enough and have their own tradition that they take seriously.