Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
How seriously are you considering taking therapy? I feel like I don't even have time to think about myself. Probably law firms should reimburse the costs of therapy for resources.

Please mention your PQE and whether you are taking therapy right now.
The pandemic has slowed my litigation practice considerably, but I am enjoying that very much. Feels like therapy in itself, to have time in abundance again.

What's bothering you, Distressed?
Not Distressed - whats bothering me ? The thought that I haven't downloaded the India Post tracking report for that service I sent to the other side more than 3 months ago !
PQE - 2 years.
Had to start therapy because I actually became a snapping machine. Snapped at anything and everything which led to a break up with my SO of 3 and half years. :(
The work levels are so high that there is no time to breathe. Just felt like a robot working 14 hours a day including the weekends.

Seriously thinking if all this is worth it.
I belong to the corporate team. There’s 1 partner who I think doesn’t have any life outside work & therefore ensures we don’t also 24-7. Subtle hints have been given but to no avail. I can’t take this anymore & have started therapy for the last 4 months.
Give a long monologue to the partner on why he is a loser and why your life is more important than his work. Let out all the anger and emotions and say everything you can and then throw the resignation letter at him.

Don't worry, people who stay within the 4 walls 24x7 have zero influence on the outside world. He can't do jackshit to you when you join another firm. I specifically did this at L&L and I can tell you I got a raise at another firm.
I WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS. My partner shouts and berates at me almost everyday. She is just the most awful person. Her delegating/managerial skills are totally absent and she puts the blame on everyone else for NOT DOING WHAT SHE ASKED!
Same, told off a certain infamous corporate partner at L&L, chucked resignation letter in his face and left. Got three corporate job offers at Tier one firms with higher pay within 2 months of leaving. Partner screamed till his face turned red about how he'd never let such an "insincere immature boy" get a job anywhere else but these chaps are all bark and no bite.
I am not taking therapy but was seriously considering it at one point in time. I eventually broke and quit my job without an offer in hand!! Still happier now
I was in a similar situation. Stigma was much higher at that time. I was worried about finding someone good & keeping it discreet. Luckily, an ex-colleague's father is a senior doctor I could approach. His team literally saved my life.
Jack Daniels & Dani Daniels are all the therapy I need. Some driving too.
Started therapy sometime around my third year as an associate, but it wasn't as effective as I'd hoped. It provides some perspective and clarity of thought immediately, but at the end of the day it just made me realise how bad things are at a law firm, and highlighted my plight more harshly. I need the money and have a few more years of mental stamina in me to put up with this, so I eventually ceased therapy. If you're young and unsure, do consider going for at least a few sessions.
I am working on DD. my usual day work hours is 15+
even on weekends half of time we are made to work.
I have to find one hour for therapy on weekend but it's not working.
I don't want to discourage people from it, but I personally tried it a couple of times and wasn't impressed. I don't think Indian therapists have much experience with modern life, they have the same old strategies which cannot be implemented in a real life scenario. What has worked for me is yoga, the Calm app, retail therapy (I know it's terrible), and having pets. Of course one has to look at the long goal and keep disconnecting when it feels you're close to losing it, which happens when I work every weekend for 6 months straight and it's called 'opportunity' at the end of it.

Everyone should try therapy though, sometimes people close to you cannot relate to a law firm environment and their immediate advise is to leave it - they don't see why you're frustrated yet feel the pressure of sunken cost and want to stay till the time you can. It's better to speak to a professional who is paid to listen to you whine often.
I have been going to therapy for more than an year now and I can definitely say that it's helped me. One thing that should be noted is that your first therapist may not work for you, and if you feel like your therapist isn't working for you- move on. Obviously, there's no point in staying with a therapist who isn't doing their job (making you feel better). I had to try 3 different therapists and pay insane amounts of money before I found a good therapist (for an acceptable amount of money).

Obviously, while the therapist can't help you reduce your workload, they could help with things such as gathering the courage to stand up against bad bosses/team mates or even just allow some catharsis (so that you don't end up yelling and taking your frustration out on someone else).
A 8-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 98-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 105-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.