Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an Associate with one of the tier-1s. Here are some tips:

1. Don't hesitate to ask around for work. Check LinkedIn to see who works in what practice area and shoot them an email requesting for work. Compared to working from office, this may offer you more flexibility in choosing what work to do. If an associate doesn't have work to delegate, they may refer a colleague.

2. Ask for feedback. I'm always happy to get on a call with an intern or email them with feedback if I have the time. Some associates may not want to, but there's no harm in asking.

3. Speak to HR. You can always call up HR and tell them you do not have any work assigned to you at the moment. Depending on the firm, HR may proactively find you some work to do.

4. Speak to a partner. This one's a bit tricky, because no partner wants to be flooded by intern emails. However, if you've been working steadily on a few matters, or have past experience in the firm, or you're two vodkas down and feeling very brave, emailing a partner clearly (yet briefly) stating your work preferences and offering assistance may just work. Worst case scenario you get a very angry phone call, but that's going to be every day working as an associate, so may as well prepare for it :)