Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Have done a couple of virtual internships at Tier 1 and 2 law firms. There is hardly any work allocated, and even if it is, it’s mostly research related.
I’ll be starting my 5th year next month and it’s bothering to see that even if one is getting internships, they’re hardly useful. How will assessments take place and what are some ways in which one can get work? Especially considering that we hardly know the people who we’re working with (because everything is virtual) and people aren’t willing to delegate work, maybe due to confidentiality issues.
Have faced the same. Thought it’s not true for everyone, it is for most of us.
Keep asking for work, you’ll get some eventually, there’s nothing else that can be done other then depending on 1-2 people who actually give you work.
I agree. If it's from a SA or a PA - count yourself lucky. Getting work from them is a blessing in a virtual set-up and make the most out of it. I'm a T1 Intern too and not at all short of work at the moment.
I'm an Associate with one of the tier-1s. Here are some tips:

1. Don't hesitate to ask around for work. Check LinkedIn to see who works in what practice area and shoot them an email requesting for work. Compared to working from office, this may offer you more flexibility in choosing what work to do. If an associate doesn't have work to delegate, they may refer a colleague.

2. Ask for feedback. I'm always happy to get on a call with an intern or email them with feedback if I have the time. Some associates may not want to, but there's no harm in asking.

3. Speak to HR. You can always call up HR and tell them you do not have any work assigned to you at the moment. Depending on the firm, HR may proactively find you some work to do.

4. Speak to a partner. This one's a bit tricky, because no partner wants to be flooded by intern emails. However, if you've been working steadily on a few matters, or have past experience in the firm, or you're two vodkas down and feeling very brave, emailing a partner clearly (yet briefly) stating your work preferences and offering assistance may just work. Worst case scenario you get a very angry phone call, but that's going to be every day working as an associate, so may as well prepare for it :)
Asked the team once for work, got a nice call from the HR and an email saying not to send out emails asking for work and that the team knows that you’re interning and they’ll call you if there’s work.
Who is this idiot partner giving angry phone calls to interns for their inclination to work
I think you should step up the interaction game with the associates during virtual internships. There is no way that the associates in Big firms are chilling right now. They obviously have work to do (Look at all the sad threads here on LI).

Toh you should make yourself available and become a trustworthy asset. Most of the work that you get during these internships is based on a follow up prompt by the associates who think you can be trusted with the work.
Because they know ki if you fuck up, that can mean that they'll have to face the wrath of their seniors. Baaki keep shooting mails asking if you could help out in any way.

In my experience associates often like when they have someone who can take a small share of their work, which provides them a bit of an alleviation from their stressed lives.
Personally, my main goal has been to always think of myself as an assistant or a paralegal during the internship, considering the main task to be of assistance in the limited ways that I can.
You probably don't study in an NLU which is why you are not getting work
Beta, be content with what you're getting.
Always remember there 200 people waiting to replace you with no ifs and buts.

Plus, any work given to these newbies interns are a burden on the AO. You can't rely on them to provide and qualitative work plus you're left to chase these interns for deliverables and these little peas behaves as if they are sons of Tata and Reliance that we will put PPOs for them on silver spoon.

You're probably not getting work because you either pissed in prior work or there is urgency and you can't be given that work or there is no work.

Tier 1 internships in virtual setup are just sham. Most people get in basis of their grades they hardly have any practical experience.
God bless our HR with some brains
It's mostly down to the hassle of delegating work. People don't want to spend 10-15 mins explaining what needs to be done and field subsequent clarification on calls/messages. You can anyway not trust the interns so have to review the work thoroughly before sending it to your seniors which takes roughly the same amount of time as doing the work on your own in the first place.

This is why the majority of work you get is research. If you find something useful, great! if not, meh, I was gonna look for it anyway. Just focus on doing what you get properly and be prompt. Once had an intern who switched off her phone after I gave her some work with a clear deadline. Don't be that girl - do a good job and hope for the best. Cheers.
A request to law students, if your classes/exams are ongoing, please don’t take up an internship. No use juggling between a class and an internship.
Agree with the OP. Virtual internships have been really demotivating. Adding on top of this are technical glitches (Like working on Citrix, even as an intern), and if you're interning at SAM, they give internships for only 2 weeks (which is so stupid!). Though LinkedIn can be a good way to find out who is working in the team that you are interning with, it becomes difficult to communicate, let alone ask for stupid doubts that would have been clear in 5 mins in a normal scenario.
As for assessments, the team hardly even knows that you're interning, and apart from the first-day introductions that you send, there is no other way that you can communicate with the team, and even if you can, they hardly reply.
Honestly, no one can be blamed here, this virtual scenario has taken a toll on everyone and delegating work to interns have become difficult.
A 24-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.