Read 113 comments as:
Filter By
Just wanted to check if I’m doing it wrong, your designation and how much you have saved from that big fat paycheck, please don’t boast because people know what corporate lawyers get
Also, it would be great if you also provide the break of where you’ve parked your funds. Thank you.
Jesus christ - you again! first inflating salaries and now inflating net assets ! - don't you get tired !?
You don’t buy a house. Rental yields are very poor in India. You are better off paying minuscule rent and deploying your capital elsewhere.
Will any corporate deal lawyer apart from Zia and Cyril be in the top 5000 richest people in Bombay?
20-50 for EP looks on the lower side..wouldn't the likes of Rau, Yash be in the 100cr+ zone?
You are out of your mind if you think so. In 2013/14 , Ashwath was earning only about 2cr. Yash was earning even less back then.
What are you smoking? Having a 30-40 crore book doesn't mean they have a net worth double that. Ashwath, Raghubir, Yash, Reeba etc will be in the double digit crore net worth.
they only started making more in last few years so it is not like they were making a lot from start.
also ashwath is in a different league cannot club piper with the rats.
Despite the crores it can be said that corporate lawyers are still very much aam aadmi.These deal lawyers are not a part of the power elite in India which consists of top ministers, bureaucrats, litigating lawyers and promoters of leading companies.
The run of the mill equity partner, Trilegal founder and so on - agreed. They are in the league of PE executives, corporate CEOs and so on. But Zia, Cyril, Shardul and such are absolutely power elite.
I don't know why you said 3.4.1 is mistaken but went on to say the exact same thing.
So is it not worth doing an LLM from the UK or the US considering the potential lost earnings or are there any positives I'm missing here?
LLM from a random university may not be worth it.
Harvard Oxbridge are a different story.
You should have restricted your question to income from law + accruals due to investment.The 'Net worth' criteria is too broad. It won't give you the data you want (therefore making this thread completely pointless). (Also here PQE is relevant not designation)
I’ve mentioned that in the description, If someone just reads the title and starts boasting, the numbers are not useful anyways
Kid, you're a decade away from actually having to make this decision. For now, save your associate bonus for a rainy day, live within your means, and don't pander to your peers/immediate bosses to appear cool/hip. Not worth it.
5 cr for 11 PQE sounds high. Your investments would have to be so good that they doubled your savings. And you spent next to nothing.
Nice. What have been your investments that have faired you well. thanks
Ahem, Kian can I get the IP address for these comments, please? We are unable to meet collections due to pandemic I think there can be some good leads here.
You can charge them only on 50% of their income anyway. Go try to change that provision first.
Hmmm actually, that's only upto 50L annual income. So much you seem to know.
If it goes to litigation, will any lawyer dare to argue on behalf of the IT department? :D
In the days to come, the Revenue department in the Finance ministry will be doing a serious rethink on whether partners in law firms should be taxed on par with other professionals working in companies earning the same amount.
Won't it require an amendment to the IT Act? May not be politically the right move considering how populist any exemption/ reduction on taxes turn out to be
How much did you buy the crpto for? I know a guy who just paid a few thousand bucks in 2013 before the rally.
Can you pls tell us what ur monthly fixed salary is? And, is the 25 - 30 lakh bonus thing true??
Monthly 3L pre tax. Bonus for me is around 25% of annual fixed salary. The split changes as you become senior and also varies from firm to firm... For PA/ MAs, the xyz-chands have a 60:40 split, JSA/ KCO are closer to 50:50, AZB/ Trilegal 75:25/ 70:30
400 odd, despite no crypto. But the key is not where you invest, but how little you spend.
Agree, don't want to pinch pennies so will probably stick on for longer. Also don't hate it, so not dying to get out.

1000 is my retirement number. I think thats 6 years away. But I may feel differently in 6 years
You'll have been able to save 200, 350 ,400 lakh and so forth but could you also mention what percentage of your actual pay checks till date is these savings?
between 200-220 . No figure decided for quiting - never been part of any super stressful teams (so don't feel particularly keen to get done with it)
Net Worth: 93.5L
Equity MF: 54.8L
Savings Ac: 20L
Debt MF: 7.2L
Stocks: 6.5L
SGB: 3.5L
Misc: 1.5L

Feedback on asset allocation welcome.
1. Congratulations!
2. Allocate some to me, maybe? But seriously, well done!
Can you please suggest some good equity MFs? would really appreciate it brother
HDFC/UTI NIFTY 50 Index Funds, Parag Parikh Flexi Cap, Motilap S&P 500 for some diversification. Thats about it.
How do you manage your MFs? Through a broker or through ET Money, Groww?
I manage it myself. Most of them are direct funds. There is not much to manage since I dont plan to withdraw anytime soon. But yes, I do take a look once a month to look for red flags.
you have some balls, keeping 25 L in crypto - hopefully this is the appreciated amount

on point 2, don't tell me there are actually (non-student) law firm people out there logging in each of their expenses on apps (eeesh!)
10.5L

MFs : 5L
Stocks : 3.5L
Salary savings account: 2L

This is excluding the bank FDs (another 5L) which my parents set up for safety and renews automatically on maturity. This amount is high for an A0 but WFH allowed me to have 100% savings.
I and spouse together have 840L + house which can be pegged at 230L. When can we retire to a less stressful work environment?
A corpus of 840 (+ house) could generate 100L+ a year which is more than sufficient to beat inflation & pay for a comfortable living. I intend to re prioritise at a lower milestone.
congratulations! you may as well retire completely and pursue your passion and life of your choice.
This is obviously a troll or worse, someone bragging... Not a serious question dude
Why has LI featured this?
Kian, this is 100% fake lol

A0 18 + 3000%
A1 35 + 2500%
A2 68 + 1200% (oh no!)

LOL
Yes, it does to be a post made in jest... :) We hadn't featured it, but have now marked it as 'contested', just in case :)
Hey brother, how do you manage your MFs? through apps like ET Money or through a broker?
Through Zerodha. Both for stocks and mutual funds (Zerodha - Coin). You invest directly into mutual funds with no brokerage. Way cheaper than investing through broker and even your own savings bank.
Thanks for the info brother. Would you advise suggesting in MFs through apps like ET Money and Groww?
How do you invest in crypto and any tips for someone just starting out??
Live now, and not when things are saggy and decrepit. One has to live a life they love waking up to and spending each moment in (at least most hours)
This way of thinking seems like a recipe for disaster & lifelong misery

5cr (12% return, 6% inflation) = 2.5L / month forever
Net worth 300 crores but I’m a litigation lawyer for the past 20 years

House 50

Commercial property 50

MF 80

Debt 20

Equites and liquid cash 100
I practice in the Delhi high court and the Supreme Court. However, I’m not self made as I am not a first generation lawyer
Kudos to the honesty, you privileged well doing good. Answer this - do you indulge yourself in the luxury of fancy dinners and good cars? Do you plan to work forever?
A 9-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.