Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
- I am a First Generation Lawyer
- Lucknow is my Hometown

Some other questions:
Q: Pros and Cons of litigation practice in Tier-2 city?
Q: Pay Gap and Career Trajectory?
Hi - Apologies for Jokes. The lawyers seem to see humor in such grim times.

That apart if lucknow is your hometown fret not., i don't see why you will not be able to succeed after a brief waiting period which any litigation career in any city demands. Persistence is the key my friend. Love the law and immerse yourself, clients will find you.
Lucknow being the hometown is great. It will help keep sane and make usual difficulties easier to manage.

Few points about practice in the courts (Don't know much about the District courts. People who ask this question are usually aiming at the HC. I would imagine its the same case here):

- Make what you think of it but I think the Criminal side practice is a lot more muddled than it is on the Civil side at the HC. Civil side practice has some great offices; great lawyers. I am aware of two three GLC, Nirma and NLU graduates working at these offices, which brings me to the second point.

- As is the case elsewhere, if you hold a good command of English and have a better grasp of Hindi then it is an ideal position. The Civil side practice has many average offices/lawyers; by just utilizing your grasp of the languages, you can make your presence felt during the hearings. Much of the working documents (instructions, reports, etc.) are received in kishtt hindi and it would help if you got yourself one of those books on administrative jargons (in Hindi).

- Many of the judges are good and you can create an impression on them as time passes by. J Jaspreet Singh is excellent on the civil side. DKU understands land revenue issues better than anyone in UP. What I am trying to highlight is that to enjoy a practice you require judges which can pierce to the issues fast. You'll get that in a few of the courts here.

- Pay: I have only an outsiders account of the litigation offices. Most good offices (Mr. Mathur for ex.) do not pay at the start (which is where having a home in the city helps assuage the pressures of the first few days). Pay, once it begins, is also low (I guess 10-15k? Not sure). But then there is lots of room at the top, by building up on your experience after joining any of the good offices, you can go independent.

Its a limited perspective from an outsider but I hope it helps you grasp things. Also, if you recognize as a woman, I would like to point out that the Lucknow HC is infested with only male lawyers. But that also means that lady lawyers can easily distinguish themselves in terms of their ability and competence. To take an example, the NHAI standing counsel Ms. Samidha is a very good at her work and the judges are always happy with her preparation. So that's one thing. Hope all these random recollections help you make up your mind. I would suggest that you intern under the good offices (Gaurav Mehrotra has a nice practice, lots of young people in his office) and get a sense of what it is like to work at the court and then take their advice. Lots of room at the top, in my perception!
You only have an "outsider account" of the litigation offices(chambers) bro. Just stop already.