Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Fellow fourth year law student here,

I wanted to understand how much weight hirers give to blog publications on a CV. Never really got onto that bandwagon and I'm wondering if I would be missing out on a lot by not having a few blog publications on my CV. Thanks!
Depends on the blog. If you have quality posts in Spicy IP, IP Cat etc., a firm like Anand or Saikrishna is bound to take note of that. It is also easier to use the research done for the blog piece to subsequently come up with more in depth journal articles. If your pieces get cited elsewhere, that also would generate the right sort of noise.
Pro Tip: Learn a bit of SEO if you want to write for blogs regularly. It helps a lot when other people search for related topics.
I think looking at them only from CV value purpose for hiring is the incorrect way to think about it. I understand we all want to be instrumental about what we do so I'm not saying CV value shouldn't matter etc. so hear me out. As an employer, I'm not looking attaching specific value points to what you've done or what you haven't, adding them and giving away jobs. I barely take time to take a second look at your CV, especially during day zero etc. when I have multiple CVs of the same format to go through. What a bunch of publications do signify to me is that you've tried working on your legal writing. Yet ofcourse nothing is going to be make or break, except maybe ranks/CGPA which some of the firms (in my opinion) focus disproportionately upon and use to filter candidates for the final stage etc.

So my advice would be, definitely pursue legal writing, be it Blogs, Op-Eds or Journal articles. Do try to publish at reputable places as they serve as an indicator of the quality of your writing to me because I'm definitely not going to be able to read what you've written even if we might talk about it in your interview. Try to not publish in "scam" Journals etc. They're easy to catch and more importantly, if you haven't done the work on a subject to publish it at a good place and we end up talking about that specific article, you not knowing enough about it is definitely one bad way for you to be out of my shortlist.

At the end of the day, we like you enough on paper if you're at the interview stage, we're trying to see if you match up to the paper profile you've built for yourself. Therefore, you not knowing about what you've published on, especially if it's a journal article, is a huge red flag.