Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
There are many threads on LI warning law students from joining certain practice areas in law firms. I wanted to know, leaving aside one's personal interest, which practice areas would law firm folks recommend? What are your reasons for the recommendation?

Thanks!
I have read about capital markets on a few other posts here on LI, but why should one avoid competition law?
Competition is very interesting. Girl/boy please don’t avoid it :)
Pls avoid banking/projects teams. Perpetually short on people + never ending pile of deliverables. Toxic combo.
Can anyone suggest how is it work in IBC practise of a firm? Mostly on IBC. How are the future prospects?
From what I have noticed, most IBC matters are taken by Chartered Accountants.
What are you saying? Chartered accountants get RP mandates. They appoint law firms as legal counsels. Firms even assist resolution applicants and COC. IBC has good scopes.
Do tech law. Better to service scientists and innovators than the likes of Ambani and Adani.
If an associate starts in a B/F team of a tier I firm, can they expand their area of expertise and include other practice areas such as gen corp, M&A as they grow (say after the PA level)? How easy/difficult is it to do this.
You will have no time to expand your practice area if you're with B&F team.
Avoid: Banking, IBC, Projects, Hardcore PE/VC
Pursue: Startup PE/VC, Competition, White Collar, Fintech
What is the difference between Hardcore PE/VC and Startup PE/VC? Why is one better than the other?
I am a projects lawyer (associate) who also works on other laws. I have decided to leave projects for good. Mostly means clerical mundane work, reading monotonous agreements/letters and drafting replies which am sure must be boring for the counterparties to read. And piles of work.
Also a (former) Projects lawyer here. Projects gets very rote and mundane very quickly, your work is pretty much the same few documents over and over again and prospects of moving inhouse are limited if you work exclusively on Projects. If you're in a projects team, it may help to diversify the work you do, take up more gen-corp assignments.