Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Are corporate lawyers, mainly associates, SAs, and PAs left with the time to read books or anything other than the 'legal documents'?
This question is mainly for folks working at T1s as from what I've read on LI, these are the people with most working hours of any lawyers.
[And if you do read non-law books, no matter where you work, please share any recent books you've read you would recommend, both fiction and non-fiction]
The Brothers Karamazov (fiction) ,The power of now (spiritual), books by j krishnamurti ( about life and all understanding of inner world ) the road less traveled (psychology) Shantaram(fiction)
I don't think Shantaram is fiction. It's based on the author's life in India(though some events might not have happened).
I don't get the hype around Shantaram. It's such an overrated book. I read the book because people wouldn't stop talking about how it was a 'must read'. Especially the ones from Bombay in my law school. Such disappointment. Apparently it's the author's life story but it reads like such an over exaggerated account. Plus, idk if anybody else felt it but there is this theme of hyper masculinity or what it means to be a man's man that runs though the book which made the whole experience very off putting for me. Like, the seedy heroin dens in Mumbai? Yup, gotta do the drugs. Underworld gangs? Gotta join and fight in Afghanistan, it seems. Lol, the dude can't chill. And of course, how can we forget the beautiful girl that broke his heart and drove him crazy like some one sided aashiq? Matlab kuch bhi.

TL;DR - There are better books out there. The hype around Shantaram is about the quotable quotes that people like to pretend are more philosophical than they actually are.
Santaram is mixed up of real life experiences and
at some places pure imagination of an author. In fact ,it tell us about the different shades of human being from the perspective of the life of rules breaker. The beauty of the book is ,in spite of such a life ,he showed some literally class and narrated it beautifully. In fact ,this book is more popular with the outsiders ,who want to peep into the dark world of Mumbai at that time .
Non Fiction - Sapiens, blew my mind. Predictably Irrational is another great one.
If you like modern history Gandhi Before India and India after Gandhi are another two gem by Guha. If you read these immediately after reading Freedom at Midnight, you can compare and contrast how racist white authors are no matter how critically acclaimed they may be.
Bhai, ye sab mat padna. Post bonus time + Guha/Nehru will bite the UPSC bug in you.
Can't answer for all, but I believe a lot of us do enjoy reading outside work. Also not sure about these threads going about what books 'lawyers' read.... There are umpteen interests people can chose from (never seen it to be guided by their vocation, to be honest) ... If you enjoy history , would recommend Jack Weatherford's Genghis Khan and the making of the Modern World.
Weatherford's book shouldn't be the first book one reads on the topic. Sart with a monograph first. The standard text of course is David Morgan's The Mongols (Wiley). It's available online.
Avoid Sapiens, Jared Diamond or any other pop bestseller on such a topic. If you're really interested in books like that then, Dr Gregory Clark is a must read. See Quote:
The Son Also Rises
and Quote:
A Farewell To Alms.
I read almost everything written by Dr Tirthankar Roy, who sadly but unsurprisingly left India for the LSE. Almost all of it is available online if you know what I mean:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/Economic-History/People/Faculty-and-teachers/Roy/Professor-Tirthankar-Roy

Dr Chinmay Tumbe is one of the few shining lights of Indian academia, young chap too. His latest, The Age of Pandemics is a must read. Read it side by side with his brilliant paper entitled Quote:
Pandemics and Historical Mortality in India
which can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/chinmaytumbe/home/research

Dr Timothy Dyson of the LSE released his brilliant yet most readable, Quote:
A Population History of India,
OUP 2019.

Vivek Kaul has a great series of books on the NPAs and the India's government post 1947. Very good books from what I hear though I haven't read them yet.

If it's European history that you prefer, then a good read is Dr Peter Wilson's Quote:
The Holy Roman Empire.
Or Sir Richard J Evan's book on Prussia The Iron Kingdom.