Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
Curious to know how your firm is treating you if you are positive or have positive immediate family members? Are your seniors being considerate?
Made to visit the office of a statutory authority despite informing the partner and HR that I was feeling unwell. Got tested later that day and was declared positive two days later.
Tested positive two weeks ago, was directly accused of catching Covid by going to markets. This is despite working from office in this crazy wave and meeting more than a dozen colleagues everyday. Have not taken a single day off so far
This is not a sarcastic jab in anyway,but why is it that associate and juniors at law firms have such a hard time trying to make their bosses treat them with a semblance of humanity.I am just looking for some tips because from the little I have seen and heard in the law firms, it makes my stomach turn.Like you could have caught the Covid anywhere incl at office.With what face are they accusing you like this.Do us a favor and give the firm name out directly or indirectly.If not now maybe later so that you don't get identified.Don't want to ever work at such a place,not even internship.
Appalling. Why can't people just be a bit more humane.

Let's all try to make each other's lives a wee bit easier?
RULE: Indian law firms treat employees like slaves.
EXCEPTION: None.
Have you heard about Algo Legal?

Just Kidding...there are no exceptions.
I was asked to read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" while on Covid leave. Not kidding.
Maybe they thought you needed it in case you get shunned by bigots for being COVID infected.
Well few members of my team contracted covid and there was strict internal circulation not to bother them as long as they are not perfectly fine to work (atleast for a week). More than the law firm one should really look for what kind of partner he/she is working for.
We've had a few cases - partners and associates. One of the associates was sick for about 4 months. All of them got total time off.
@ Burberry
Great to have such understanding seniors. Which firm is this? I’ll look for a vacancy and join.
It isn't a tier 1 and not the biggest pay master. Most people on LI are all about the big bucks and big names.
Life lessons:in a pandemic,you need a "LAW"ful firm that which if it does not worry about employee lives at least worries about being bad mouthed by it's "lowly"associates. Give me your firm name, there seem to be some cells of humanity left in it.The T1 tag is not worth it in this pandemic,but the biggest realization it never ever was.
Vertices it is. The founder partners have taken care of all of us.
Pardon me for not buying this - you still see people asking for best paymasters and complaining about making INR 1.2 Lakhs as freshers at CAM while some other firm is willing to pay INR 1.5 or INR 1.8 Lakhs. What incoming associates don't realise is that if there's a requirement for 10 associates, these firms hire 4 or 5 and then pay them above market and make them work twice and sometimes thrice as much.
My family members are battling with COVID-19. Thankfully, I am safe, for now. I am battling with client deliverables and clocking over 12 hours everyday.
On LinkedIn, I see people praising their law firms/partners for giving them paid time off for covid. Man, can we stop stanning employers for doing the bare minimum during these terrible times?
Saw a post by SAM a few days ago on LinkedIn. An associate of theirs had contracted Covid and needed Remdesivir urgently.

I'm just wondering if the firm was genuinely trying to help the chap or was it just a PR exercise to (i) let people think they care about their associates, and (ii) let the associate and his family think that the firm is trying to help ; or was it a genuine attempt to try to help the guy. I just feel that at a tier 1 firm like SAM having some really influential clients and connections, if they really wanted to help out, the upper management could have done it in better ways than put up a post on the firm's LinkedIn page, which I'm guessing is mainly followed job and/or internship seekers. Again, I don't know have the complete information, and it could well be possible that they were trying to help out through other channels as well.

Just wanted to know what others think/feel about this.
If it helps, the firm found the meds and got them to him

At a time when former chief ministers are having to illegally hoard medicines, and current ministers are taking to twitter to seek beds for constituents, I'm surprised you think that a law firm has the relevant connections required for meds in each part of the country (the associate wasn't in a metro)
I admire your faith for thinking that any law firm in India would care for their associates outside of work.
Hi Guest, I am sorry your firm has made you feel this way. I think I speak from a little privilege position here, because my firm has tried to change things up.

I’m not saying SAM is the IT place to be or has no faults. I’m an A2 with them right now. But covid wise, on a firm level, the management and senior partners often end up making calls for many friends and family and that’s the truth. There is rush at hospitals, vendors run out of stocks and they may or may not be successful but unlike the many other firms our CRT and other members are trying.

Other than that, our partners were all proactive even last year during WFH setup in terms of making sure we had basic things like groceries/we were able to fly back home/a test kit was available to us if need be etc safely. I will not say that things were all rosy, yes the workload was HUGE at times. But on a firm level, I felt like I was cared for at an uncertain time like the last year. Cannot deny that.

Even if I were to believe it is for PR, I’ll buy it. If it is just any need of medicine, hospital etc shared at this time from a page which has thousands of followers - I will happily take it :) and Guest, you take care! Wishing you a very healthy time!
I'm not from SAM but I do hear from my peers and juniors that SAM has been quite supportive.
Saw a 2020 associate post something about Spiceroute legal giving leaves for covid. The culture in law firms is so bad that even covid leaves are considered a blessing. The bar is too damn low. 🀦
Banglore office head and partner at P&A passed away last year. Not reported anywhere.
Had the firm running till mid april inspite of several covid cases (including partners) then decided to give wfh. Don't know about partners but if an A0,A1 has covid, all your leaves will be exhausted. If you are ill even then (ofcourse it will take you more than 10-12 days to recover) then it will be leave without pay. Your colleague tested positive in office and you want to get tested since you come to office everyday and might be in contact? Wow get yourself tested at your own cost. Sure we will call the testing guy but money? Nah, you will have to give.
What did they do last year? Compelled everyone to come to their new fancy office in July when almost every law firm had given wfh. Either come join office or resign. You have covid? Your family has covid? We don't care. We have built a new fancy office and we want PEOPLE! Are you scared for your life and that of your family because of a global pandemic? OH THEN RESIGN!!
Physical offices running, god forbid you get covid or your family gets covid and you are sensible enough to not come to office to infect others__the days off will be adjust from your barely there leaves and when leaves are over, leave without pay. Everywhere offices are giving wfh, more leaves, covid leaves, etc. What does our firm give? Halved the leaves in the new financial year. Wow.