Read 54 comments as:
Filter By
All the books by Henry Cecil. Used to love those. Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister.
Is knowledge of tort law necessary for transactional/corporate lawyers?
Haha. Extremely funny. Do you want a troll medal or do you already have it on Twitter?
What could have been an amazing thread has turned into a shit thread due to the morbid humour of some.

Guys, the vaccine is being rolled out to every adult. Cheer up a bit, maybe?
Roses in December: An Autobiography by Justice M.C. Chagla

Its an excellent book
Eh, it isn't THAT good, tbh. Like, it's alright if you want to know about this guy and brief insights about some cases, but there are much better books out there
Non-law books that I enjoyed reading:

1) Crime and Punishment
2) The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
Music composed in a play adaptation of the novel was the inspiration for the James Bond theme song.
Supreme Whispers by Abhinav Chandrachud. The Transformative Constitution by Gautam Bhatia.
Courts and their Judgments by Arun Shorie - This book single-handedly changed my entire perspective on the legal system. It breaks the rosy image of SC which you build by reading the judgments and later how divorced it is from its reality. Should be mandatory in law school.
Start with the following:

1. The Bluffer's Guide to the Law.

https://www.amazon.in/Bluffers-Guide-Law-Guides/dp/1902825934

2. After (and only after) you have tried every trick from the above, read '101 ways to leave the law':

https://www.amazon.in/Ways-Leave-Alex-Steuart-Williams/dp/1906779600

Enjoy!
Any decent book on Constitutional law. I personally have Prof. JN Pandey's.
1. 1984 by George Orwell.

2. Supreme Whispers by Abhinav Chandrachud, if you're into legal-gossip.

3. The Art of War. Some might say it's overrated -- perhaps it is too much hyped on social media; but it can be useful if you are able to extrapolate the advice into your legal strategies. Litigation is basically just a war. :3

4. Ten Judgements That Changed India by Zia Mody: but only if you're a 1st/2nd/3rd year law student. Otherwise it's not THAT useful/insightful.

5. Justice by Michael Sandel, if you're into this kind of stuff (which, I feel, every lawyer needs to be).
In no particular order:

1. Supreme but not Infallible
2. Both Granville Austins
3. TR Andhyarujina's book on the Kesavananda case
4. Gadbois - Judges of the Supreme Court of India
5. PB Vacha - Famous judges, lawyers and cases of Bombay
6. Tom Bingham - The Rule of Law
7. Richard Susskind - Tomorrow's Lawyers
8. Ruth Bader Ginsburg - My Own Words
9. Michael Sandel - What Money can't Buy
10. Michael Sandel - Justice
11. Oxford Handbook of the Indian Constitution
12. Walter Bagehot - The English Constitution
13. Akhil Reed Amar - America's Constitution

If you enjoy the corporate side of things, would definitely recommend Barbarians at the Gate, Den of Thieves (on the insider trading scandal in the US in the 80s), Cold Steel (takeover of Arcellor by Mittal), The Taking of Getty Oil (takeover battle for Getty Oil), books by Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker + The Big Short), The Spider Network (LIBOR scandal), Too Big to Fail (GFC in 2007 - 08), The New Tycoons (growth of the PE industry into a behemoth), Predator's Ball (rise of the junk bond industry and fall of Drexel), For God, Country and Coca Cola (Coke becoming America's greatest cultural export), The Smartest Guys in the Room (Enron scandal), The Billionaire Raj (India's gilded age), The City (development and status of the City of London as a global financial centre), The Man Behind the Wheel (Onkar Kanwar and Apollo Tyres), The Yes Book (negotiation).
Love most of your recommendations. Thanks for sharing (someone really needs to bankroll my amazon Wishlist based on your comment)
Haha thanks!

If you have a Kindle, libgen and book CC are great places to not download all the corporate books I've mentioned.
@Teen Baar, I really like the breadth of your recommendation. Pls do lmk if we could generally have a convo about books.

On the libgen comment, for some reason I'm unable to work with the formatting issues that some libgen books have on Kindle. It's an entirely diff matterthat I've s ton of books on my Kindle along these lines I'm yet to read.

Thanks.
Haha, sure - happy to speak directly. Not sure how we'll do that remaining anon on this forum, though. Any thoughts?

Most of the libgen books in epub or mobi formats work fine on my kindle - I use calibre as my sorting and transferring programme. Very convenient.
I thought the easiest way was to lose anonymity. We could talk on twitter, if that works for you?
(If you want to stay anon, that's cool. Liked your reccos, so thanks for that in any case).
Just want to know why 11 people have downvoted this

Have no idea about the book; haven't heard of it. Curious.
1. Kanga Palkhiwala book on Tax.. (Latest edition is by AP Datar)
2. Phillip Baker commentary on Treaties
3. Claus Vogel Commentary
4. Chaturvedi Pithisaria commentary
5. Sampath Iyengar Commentary
1Man before the Mahatma by Charles Di Salvo. An insightful take on Gandhi's stint as a lawyer before he gave up the robes to lead our freedom struggle. For those looking for a short summary, Justice Muralidhar's dissection of the book as part of the Friday Group discussion is available on YouTube.