Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
Trigger warning: Mention of self harm

Hi, we do have students on scholarships and students from IDIA. We have a separate scholarship for socially backwards students.

I realise where you’re coming from and acknowledge the privilege that a lot of students in JGU enjoy. But kindly don’t generalise it, I consider myself to be really underprivileged in a monetary sense and I don’t have a laptop. And although I don’t hold a responsibility to prove the same, if you’re not rude or disrespectful to me or my struggle in the subsequent comment, I’ll go out of my way to provide evidence for the same.

Moreover, I agree to you that Jindal is the national face of privilege. But legal education in India itself is an entire representation of privilege and nepotism. Jindal being the flag bearer, NLU’s can’t absolve them of any accountability either. 2-2.5-3 is not something a middle class or underprivileged guy would be able to pay. The fee structure is 5-6 times of what a person would pay in a government university in a different field. A lot of kids, I know in NLUs are super rich and could have easily afforded Jindal. Not to mention the infamous NRI quota in most of the NLUs. CLAT and AILET alongside LSAT have only acted as a catalyst to the promoting privilege. Justice Chandrachud pointed out the same (https://www.livelaw.in/top-stories/discrimination-law-schools-clat-justice-chandrachud-blind-students-172626) AILET has the toughest english tests, I have witnessed in a legal examination. I am not defending Jindal here, I’ll reiterate Jindal is the flagbearer of privilege in law schools and NLUs are marching right behind it. Please don’t absolve NLUs of the privilege that students there enjoy.

Moreover we are going through the same pandemic as you are. Jindal is not immune to mental health issues. A lot of people I know are going through major financial crisis. We’ve had students earlier who’ve resorted to suicide and other methods of self harm. I’ve lost three of my batchmates ever since we started https://indianexpress.com/article/india/student-hangs-himself-in-jindal-university-hostel-room-6025963/. I have lost two of my batchmates to COVID and I can’t express how many friends have lost their family members. Do you think we are immune to mental health issues?

I think we’re all bigger than this. Please don’t exclude us for we are going through the same pandemic as you are. I really urge that all law schools stand in solidarity and get relief for ourselves. There’s no point of fighting amongst each other. If we stick together, we might as well achieve something. I urge @legallyindia to please report this topic as a proper news article. I request for solidarity among all law schools so we are not made to go through more than what we are already going through. The original post calls for tier 1 and jgls only, which is sad. I request that all law schools, regardless of what rankings the society has allotted to them, stand together in solidarity against academic pressure that everyone is being subjected to.