Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
I will be joining a tier 1 in a couple of months and have an option of joining the real estate team there. In law school, were are not told anything apart from the typical corporate or litigation teams. Can someone throw some light on the practice area, kind of work, expectations, hours, and the future, in comparison to a general corp team? TIA
Clerical DD work mostly related to title searches. If you know the vernacular language of the state that your office is in, they'll definitely want to draft you in the real estate team. From what little work I've done in real estate teams during internships, it is utterly boring, at least at the associate level. SA level onwards you can pawn off the clerical work to your juniors.
I got a PPO with a tier 1 real Estate team. I don’t think it’s all about title Diligence’s. It’s ofcourse a part of it. But also there is risk assessment of distressed real estate assets, acquisition/investment in new real estate commercial, residential projects, industrial and logistic park related advisory, warehousing and much more which is the current upward trend for e commerce industry too....real estate financing is a bit part of the profile....also u ll get to work on real estate aspects for clients like in sustainable housing etc.. followed by new concepts like we work, stanza etc...read about what all is included in real estate as written by a JLL or a CBRE...

As for corp, depends if u want to be a small fish in the ocean...choice is yours...also not all law firms have too many jobs so if u want to get a job with tier I it’s going to be sloggin for first few years which ever team u decide...even corporate law u ll end up doing just Diligence’s for first few years and sucking up to the bosses...all the best with ur decision!!