Read 64 comments as:
Filter By
Nah, we have been promised laptops starting FY 2023. For now, we have to make do with chalks and slates..
Trilegal, JSA, KCo, SAM, CAM, S&R provide laptops out of the tier 1 (I don't think phoenix is tier 1 and nor do I know about their tech)
I can confirm that pre-corona SAM have laptops only to people with at least 2 years experience (don’t know the logic) - rest got desktops only - and the laptops were so bad that almost everyone just used Citrix in their own laptops to the extent possible

I know that kco couriered laptops to the houses of A0’s this year - don’t think Sam did so
SAM = yes, have to mandatorily work on it
CAM = depends
Khaitan = yes, have to mandatorily work on it
S&R = no
KCo = yes, have to mandatorily work on it
JSA = depends
Question was whether law firms provide laptop. Not whether tier 1s do. Aise padhke how did you make it to a tier 1?
S&R allows you to use your own laptop because you have to log in to your virtual desktop to work.
The question should be - can you use your personal laptops instead of the slow firm assigned one?
Trilegal isn't fussed about lawyers using their own laptops, especially in the pandemic.
You can but most firms use office software systems which means you have to login to their shitty systems in any case.
Depends on the kind of software and number of apps used by the firm and whether the IT Dept will install them on the personal laptop.

For Khaitan - IT support is good, they replace the really old unworkable laptops by courier / download basic VPN and apps on personal laptop if necessary
Your personal lap top maybe blazingly fast but your if you have a shitty virtual desktop environment then does not matter. Plus they will load tracking software on your laptop. Better to keep personal and office things separate.
AZB NOIDA provides super outdated PCs, with both horrible software and hardware. I really wonder how the lawyers of the "#1" firm of the country work on that tech.
Hello hello, office 19 is here. What world are these firms living in? Investing in up to date systems is the least that they can do.
Top clients should insist on criteria for updating tech. This is ridiculous. Slow laptops easily restrict the lawyers ability to perform in top gear, it would be cheaper to give them super fast laptops (read M1 machines) for free with a 500 hour mandate.
No, they don't provide laptops. Actually, they borrowed my personal laptop.
The old laptops are provided so that lawyers buy their own laptops! Simple(y) cheap tactic
If they permit you to use your own laptop that is actually better for you in the long run. If it is your own machine you have better control over it and can keep more data with you as and when you quit.
Really good laptops and top end of the line. Comes with firewalls etc so you can't mess around. Coupled with great tech support.
Not just laptops they provide you with a midrange phone too for official purposes.
Top of the line laptops, the recent joiners received a laptop that was not even out in the mainstream market. Samsung phone, dongle, and keyboard+mouse set. All brand new, out-of-the-box btw.

Leaders get better brand laptops and iPhones, but the tech is essentially the same.
Phoenix Legal is by far the most generous with their laptop policy. Excellent machines!
Guys can you suggest me a laptop under 30k? I'm starting to work in a chambers from next week and have been asked to get my own laptop.
Check a system with Ryzen 3, 14 inch, 256 ssd, windows pre installed. Asus or lenovo might be around this range.
Get something from Lenovo/Acer if you're just starting out, they last about 5 years at max but by then you'll make enough to get an Inspiron.
Donot take anything under i3 and 8 gb ram all windows 10 app eat memory
The guys at Anagram provide each one lenovo i5 chip laptops. Also operate on a high speed secure onedrive MS enterprise system. very smooth and secure.
BUMP. Which law firms are currently providing it for A0s and A1s?

SAM? Trilegal? CAM? KCO?
genuinely shocked that tier 1s don't give decent laptops, got a mac at my non-tier firm
Bharucha gives i7 expensive Dell latitude laptops even to A0s for sure. Couriered during Pandemic too, as far as I have heard.
Phones they give decent Samsung ones.
Do tier-1 firms like Trilegal, KCO and CAM provide laptops to new associates? Or will I hate to continue working on my low end one?
Anagram offers Lenovo Thinkpad with i7 / I5 chips to all including freshers. Those guys also have MS Enterprise with a smooth system and high security and cloud operational and no physical servers