Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Work in Antitrst/Competition is mainly divided into 2 buckets
1. Behavioural (Litigations, Compliance (s. 3 & 4), Training for Dawn Raids, etc
2. Merger/acquisition clearance.
Whats the ratio between the two
Other work which competition teams at Tier 1 firms do?
Fairly correct. Depending on the city and team you join, work can be anything from 50-50 to 20-80. Mumbai generally sees more merger control than Delhi does in most tier Is. However, with the CCI possibly opening in Mumbai as well that trend may soon change.

Other work competition lawyers do are trainings with clients on competition law compliance, competition advisory, vetting agreements from a competition angle etc. However work largely is in the two buckets as mentioned. Thing I love? Very less DD in competition teams overall.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Kindly allow me to ask a follow-up question. What are the overall career prospects of a competition lawyer in comparison to a corporate lawyer? I'm a bit concerned about the niche nature of the field. Is moving out of competition practice after few years to say in house or corp difficult?
Could you also please express your thoughts about the career prospects long term?
Thank you for the reply. Could you also tell us what the work-life balance is like in Competition teams? Is it as bad as the other corporate practice areas?
Depends on your partner and how she/he are generally with deliverables. For some, everything is urgent, needs to be done ASAP. They’ll count the minutes after their first instruction which you sent them a draft mail also (no kidding).

However, atleast as compared to Cap Marks and Projs competition lawyers do have some breathers. That is not to say that they are chilling all 12 months and have no all nighters though. Intern with a team and ask around before joining. No other way you can know what is it like in a specific team. LI can generalise and make you even more confused
Well, this is one of those fields where historically and especially in countries like the US , we see the politico- bureaucrat- industry nexus in full swing.
Right
We see a more stringent antitrust approach under Joe Biden as he has some big tech critics in the white house..
But this approach is not optimal for india- let the corporates free!