Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
I'll be a lawyer soon, what ways do lawyers keep themselves fit?
Many professors in my law school casually joke "Lawyers are bad sports people" or "they are unfit"...
How do different lawyers pursue their physical fitness? The intensity of work is so high that fitness takes a backseat.
I'm scared how fit I will turn out after a few years. Do you recommend any food hacks/tips?
Fitness taking a back seat is not confined to just one profession or trade. If you want to be fit you will find the time, workhours notwithstanding. Don't let that deter you from taking up the profession. There is no hack, its pure will. Look at it this way, would you not allocate time for an important client? this ones the same, in fact this ones an important and a lifelong client well paying one, in kind though. You are the master of your own destiny, you decide!
During lockdown I tried to use a standing desk for 1-2 hours per day and to take regular walks away from the desk. I don't know what effect it is having but I feel like it makes me have more energy and less aches and pains.

But I'm worried about returning to office whether my firm will make an allowance for a standing desk or whether I'll go back to the old office chair torture as before.
Hello members of the legal fraternity. I joined a tier 1 law firm 2 months ago as a fresh graduate and the work hours are insane. Sometimes I have to work late at night. This has resulted in me gaining weight, eating bad food and not finding any time for workout. I have noticed this sort of lifestyle is impacting my productivity at work but I can’t find the time to go the gym due to my work hours. How can I get out of this hole? Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Trilegal A0
Sorry to hear that, fellow A0. Is this a function of being in a super busy team or feeling strange is asking to step out during the middle of office hours to go to the gym?
I personally started exercising regularly (5-6 days a week) from the middle of 2020 and have thankfully been able to continue this habit till now, 2 months into the job. Hope to be able to do so going forward as well. I try to wrap up gym before starting work (8-9:30 am). Sometimes if I'm working late into the night and am unable to get up by 7 am and not able to reach the gym in the morning, I just drop a text on my team WhatsApp group in the evening saying I'm unavailable for the next couple hours and hit the gym then. My team is super accommodating and understanding that way in that they do not ask me to not go or even ask me where I'm going.
I can understand if as an A0 less than two months into the job you feel awkward just saying you're unavailable during office hours, but our seniors do understand that during WFH, it's not expected for us to be sitting in front of our laptop from 10 am to 10 pm and we have other commitments/chores as well related to our home/family/self. So try this and see how it works out. If stepping away from your desk during the day is not possible at all, early morning would have to be your next best bet.
HI!

Most of us are in the same boat. With our erratic hours its very difficult to have a fixed routine and go to the gym at a particular time. With WFH, what I've done is buy a treadmill & cycling machine and just exercise at home whenever I get a little free time. Granted it won't help you sculpt muscles but you'll at least stay thin. If you look at the cost part, buying a treadmill outright doesn't cost more than 2 years of gym membership charges. I think I'll continue the same routine even after physical office starts. Going to the gym involves a lot of aspects, including travel dressing etc. & this way its much more convenient.
You have to treat your fitness and health as a non negotiable. Try to make time whether it's in the morning or evening for you to get some excercise and / or yoga / stretching. Our long hours at the desk take a terrible toll on our posture, back etc. so regular yoga is very helpful.

In terms of weight loss, keep in mind that controlling your diet is the most important aspect of a healthy living. Especially given that you may not have the opportunity to be consistent about exercise. Eat healthy, avoid stress eating and you would ensure that you dont put on unnecessary calories.

In your junior years it may be a bit difficult to get thr balance right as you try to learn the skills for your job and must be eager to please. But prioritise your health and exercise to the extent possible (maybe as you go senior and have a little more autonomy over your time) you can allocate some time for sports or gym. It's all about getting your priorities right. It's not easy. But not impossible.
I told my partner I would need some time to gym since I was gaining weight. My partner asked me to join a 24x7 gym and said it's best you go after work is finished. Even if its at 2, 3 or 4am. When I said that was not possible. He said, where there's a will there's a way. Clearly you're not committed enough. Fuck him.
If you aim to be efficient in your work and do it with concentration, you ll be able to wind up by 7/8pm on most of the days. I work with a tier 1 and the work load his heavy. Whenever I have been indisciplined, I have slogged till late night. Otherwise through concentration and smart work, I m able to wind up by 8 pm.
A lot depends on your personal motivation.
Get a jump rope and do some skipping everyday, quite an effective exercise brother.
Some small things you can do at home-
1. Instead of using the lift in your apartment/office, use stairs (As far as possible).
2. Whenever you take those 5 min breaks between work, do some mini HIIT then.
3. Get a pull-up bar- Do some pull-ups now-n-then. Even 5 pull-ups are a great effort XD + takes almost no time
3. Don't eat anything between 8pm-8pm (12 hrs) or at least 10pm-8am i.e. 10 hrs- this will stop you from getting those extra calories..
Whatever it takes, unless you get fired- work on fitness. After all toned abs, muscle definitions or no medical expenses would post a wider smile on your face over those deadlines you may meet!