Read 35 comments as:
Filter By
Should I be the silent, strict, no-nonsense kind or the bat shit crazy genius unpredictable kind ? As a young assistant professor I always wonder which kind students prefer ? The strict ones are great to keep a distinction between professional and personal life. However the crazy weird ones are interesting.
If you base your decision on popular demand, then you're not ready to become a professor.
We on LI aren’t students and certainly not yours. This is not how you get student feedback. Also, you can’t be something based on what others want. I don’t think you are ready to teach yet.
nah lmao, I would rather have my professor take feedback from students to incorporate that in your teaching than think its based on popular demand. At the end of the day, its about communicating the material in a understandable way, kudos to the professor asking such important questions.
Which part of the original question by OP signified anything of the sort that you are implying? Be a better reader and increase your comprehension skills.
I genuinely don’t think anyone asking this question should be teaching students anything.
Feedback is based on knowing/seeing/doing something. You don’t even understand what the word means. I doubt you will ever get the critical bit. Please don’t teach.
Feedback in simple terms means helpful information or criticism that is given to someone to say what can be done to improve. You didn't need to be knowing, seeing or doing something. Just like most of you who are arm chair critics in LI pretending to be experts.
You’re not asking for feedback. And you’re certainly not providing young people with the leadership and authority they need to safely explore difficult ideas. You’re asking internet strangers to pick a personality for you. How much more of a β€œblind leading the blind” type situation can this be?
How do you know if the strangers are really strangers here ? What if they're bots ?
You do you. Inauthenticity won't help. But also bear in mind that eccentricity is tolerated more in the privileged - what is cool weird in male, upper class, upper caste people is seen very differently in others. Consider your own comfort level also. Being approachable will mean that you are approached.
Thanks. You're right. I tend to mask my eccentric personality with being silent. Otherwise people would consider me crazy.
Be an understanding professor first. In our college, some new professor's inundate student's with work and are very bad and disrespectful towards students in their demeanor. If you want respect, then be respectful and understanding the the students too. The profession is to teach and not about making it everything about yourself or taking your frustrations out on the students.

Also, read well and teach well too. Don't just read from the book. Nobody respects that. Students can do it on their own too.
Be no nonsense. Dont give an inch to the snowflakes. Keep a distance.
tbh, As a student the teacher's whom I really respect are the ones who helped me to improve myself. Just do not become the teachers who just give lectures and leave. Make your student learn the concept, try to make learning the task which they enjoy and even attend your classes without any attendance pressure.
You want to be some combination of knowledgable, kind, firm and good at communicating. You don't have to be perfect at any of the four but you do need a minimum of each to get through to your students. The rest doesn't matter.
be kind and understanding, Smile,

make the learning fun,

If a person can't explain in a simple manner he does not know it well himself, you must have capability to make a 10 year old understand complex legal issues then only are you a real teacher
the best teachers in our college are those -

1. Who make ppts and share them at the end of the coursework with a caveat - please just dont read from the ppts, rather use them as an outline to not get distracted from the coursework, however engage the students with the same. Nobody likes having classes with no structure, a good presentation helps not only students to refer them during exams, but also keeps the classes concentrated on what the material is.

2. Ask questions to students, make the class engaging - many teachers keep the interaction very limited considering they are the only ones speaking, if there are legal cases for instance, describe the facts to the students and let me figure how the case should have presented.

3. Expect the students to read the material to class - although not one of our best professors, but she strongly insisted on reading material before class, else student would be marked absent. In hindsight, it was helpful because we know what the course work was and had already read it once before the exam time-bomb fell on our heads.

4. Allocate office hours to students - best of our teachers actually give some time for doubts for students, I am a rather shy student, so I prefer to ask my questions separately than in front of the class. Please dont discourage this, many students face confidence issues and just want to get their doubts solved separately.

5. Whenever assignments are made, thoroughly engage with this - like for us Sourabh Bharati and Neha Pathakji, they know every line of your project. So, for the students who dont wanna work, they put extra work in, and for those who do, they get the validation that their hard work and effort matters.

6. Marking in exams - marking hard is not the problem, but rather marking in a way that makes no logical sense is a problem. I would rather have my professors clearly tell me what they expect in exams (and follow suit) rather than leave us guessing as to the best outcome. Ideally, at the end of every exam, there should be an answer key delineated what all should have been covered in the exam and there should be some feedback at the end of the same.

7. Appreciate students who try to listen in class
1,2, and 7 make me want to puke.

It is not the professors job to make your notes. Its your job. infact- thats the job as a student- learn information and organise it.The professor makes their own notes for lecture- theyre under ZERO obligation and its actually bad practice to share ppts, it makes students lazy. Youre only asking this because you want to do well in exams- not because you actually want to learn the law.

2 is completely the opposite of how the socratic method works. I know students like to fancy themselves as judges - because theyre in the audience so they automatically assume theyre consumers. But the way the socratic method works is- you present the facts of the case- you get grilled on what different arguments were- you get asked a series of questions that get you to defend your stance. You are asked to deal with variations on a hypo. The professor is there to guide and ask the right questions. What youre describing is some reality tv audience participation that doesnt engender learning at all. just entertainment.

7. Listening in class is the bare minimum. trying to listen in class is even less. Why do you want some pat on the back for that?
Those who use PPT in classroom regularly have got neither power nor point in their teaching methodology. Structural discussion is not equivalent to having certain bullet points stare you in the face all the while you are having a discussion.
Many professors are introverts. Just give yourself alone time to recharge.
A 3-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 61-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 14-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.