Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I belong to a top-ranked law school (Non-NLU), outperformed all my peers throughout the five year course by my co-curricular activities and maintaining decent grades simultaneously.

Interned at T1 law firms in B&F, PE/VC and IP teams. Also, interned at various law offices including couple of Sr. Adv. and many more.

Now with no job offer and no upcoming internship, it feels like I am sliding into a well and very swiftly. Not able to decide even what my next step should be. HIGHLY DEPRESSED!

PLEASE ADVICE!!!
PS: I will be a 1st gen lawyer, and had zero connections in the industry. These internships and other achievements are sheer hard work.
Not sure if you should stick with law. Highly toxic and nepotistic profession that can worsen your depression. In today’s Economic Times there is an article saying how MBAs in AI are the next big thing. Why don’t you do that?
Don’t give up hope. Legal profession requires some stamina. Join a good tier 2 law firm for now. If you work hard there for a few years you will definitely get a good offer from a tier 1. All the best
I am even in the worse position with not so good internships, not from NLU/top private college, and without any plan whatsoever. I should have a plan and a backup option, but I am doing nothing except evaluating my options and not taking any decisions.
Do an MBA bro. You can even try a place like MICA. Cool and friendly people. My sister went there.
Dude it is easy to say do MBA..... now even IIM grdas are finding diffcult to get good positions or job forget about pvt. college kids. My sister was from IIM Indore & literally she told that good number of her classmates + batchmates didn't get job (include different IIMs) and mostly returned either for govt.exam preparation or trying their luck in mini startups like food, real estate's, etc. Her 5 colleagues was from law background (pursued MBA from different IIMs) two returned for litigation practice at BOM HC and another went for Judicial Service preparation or other govt exam after failing to secure good positions at any MNC. Now MNCs demanding reputed foregin university certificates. Even my sister secured good position at renowned MNC yet she enrolled in famous foreign university.

COMPETITION IS EVERYWHERE ....atleast law/CA/doctors are at far better positions that they can start their own practice with few year of struggle.
MBA ---> tech startup ----> billionaire

Much better than NLU ----> law firm ----> bonded labourer
Non-NLU top ranked ? How bro ? 😭 Your law school failing to provide jobs and still you're calling it "top ranked"? Drop that attitude dude. Be humble.
Sorry, I couldn't express it more clearly. I am in neither way telling this in a proud manner as my clg is a top-ranked clg.

On the other hand, I mentioned it in a tone of egregiousness as, being ranked by good forums every year, the college has failed to provide any placement. Also, that people should not judge me as if I come from mid tier University and then blame it on the college for being not able to provide placements.
Hey

- Relax. Unburden yourself of expectations.

- Do things because they make you happy, enjoy the process (working hard to get rank 1, working hard to learn about your passionate area of lawyering)

- Execute and showcase your learnings in form of content. This can be a personal notion library.

- Once you identify the process you enjoy, look at people who are doing similarly things. Ask for informational interview, coffee, there time.

- Mentorship in law is often free to get from practicing lawyers - ask for inputs about the practice. Same lawyer will charge 10K / hour to a client. Reach out not for job - but for questions.

- Once you have built a group of mentors, keep being valuable to them.

Jobs toh mil hee jaati hai. Just look at your past batches, stuff works out for everyone. Relax karo, hold yourself to higher standards and whatever may happen, and while I am sure you will get a job - you will be better person if you find it while truly enjoying the process.

Money, tier 1 etc. are all secondary things. They will come.
Does this also apply to law graduates? Been a year, still as lost. And the burden of not being a β€œstudent” makes it feel like I cannot ask for help?