Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
Sorry for this depressing topic, but i’ve been thinking about this a lot, after the sad news of two more tragic deaths of Jindal students a couple of days ago.

Although these deaths are no doubt very sad, you will see that across law school batches past and present there are premature deaths, whether in college or after graduation. Just speak to people from Gen X to Gen Z. Almost everyone has a batchmate who is no more. Some had cancer, some had a heart attack because of work stress, some had COVID, some were in an accident, some took their own life. Even if you look at it mathematically, in a batch of 100 students there is a reasonable chance one person may die before reaching 40/45 years, or even 25 years. Sounds terrible, but it’s perhaps true?

So I was just thinking about these people who left the world too soon. Do you know any of them? Do you remember them? Does your college have medals and competitions in their name? How were they as people? Smart? Funny? Introverted? Troubled? Sad? I mean, we barely even remember COVID! Do we remember our friends who died of it?

Sorry, but just thinking about this a lot today.
In NLUO, there was one person named Ritwik Das, he died while playing football during NUJS Invicta due to cardiac arrest in 2019. Every year since then his birthday is celebrated by students as a tradition. I don't think anyone on campus now knew him personally but they celebrate his birthday without fail. His parents too have instituted a Gold Medal in his honour. The gold medal is awarded to best sports person from every batch during convocation.
Thatis so wholesome. I hope he rests in peace. Thank you NLUO students for having some heart.
That’s very nice of NLUO students to do that. At NUJS, quite a few alumni and students have passed away: probably close to 25 or 30 I think, so easily an average of one death of an alum or student every year since the inception of the college. In some cases they are remembered through events/prizes, but in most cases there hasn’t been anything instituted in their memory. But this depends not just on the admin but also the family of the deceased. The family may prefer to donate to or work with another institution, e.g. a school or hospital or religious charity. Batchmates also play a role. If a batch is very united and has strong bonding, they may pool in together and do something for someone who is no more.
Ritwik was in his fifth year and I was in my first when the tragic incident happened. Bo'23 was the last to actually see or know him. I talked to him maybe like 3-4 times but he was very humble, cheerful and generous senior. You won't feel as a first year that you're talking to someone the university looks up to. Amazing guy to be around.

It is mainly the football team that has created the annual practice of celebrating his birthday and remembering him. He is remembered not because he was a senior who passed away, but because you don't see a lot of selfless and loving people like him in the rat race of NLUs these days, the idea is to remember him so that someone somewhere decides to be like him. Rest in power Ritwik Sir!
Ritwik was a few years my junior at NLUO. Big hearted guy who always light up every room he walked into. Told me once that the best decision he took in his life was to stay optimistic and not be burdened by one-off disappointments. RIP, you star.
At Nalsar, we had person from the batch of 2008 who "died under mysterious circumstances" a few years later. I personally never met him, but some seniors told me that he used to be a distant, introverted person. It made me feel warmer about my batchmates in general β€” you never know who's going through what. Perhaps if he had more friends who checked in on him, he might've been in a better place, or atleast alive.
Bang on. I too am introverted and I don't have a single friend in college. Not even one. But thankfully I have a small core of friends from outside of college. I think law school can be a terribly lonely place because of the competition and toxicity.
NLUJ Jodhpur

One senior died tragically in an accident. Now we conduct an Essay Writing competition in memory of her. Pranita Mehta Essay Writing Competition.
Yes, I know this story. She was a very nice girl and brilliant student. What happened is that she died when a huge wave struck her at the beach and swept her away. But the Indian media unfortunately sensationalised and lied about it, saying that she fell from a height died while trying to take a selfie. This story was even reproduced by foreign media. She was mocked and taunted by internet trolls. Then NLUJ students wrote letters to the media houses and got the stories revised. Really sick what the media will do for clicks and views.
I've written this essay kaafi baar but didn't know of this. Not the best of marketing then of what should be a great initiative.
Google for Pranita. First thing that will strike you is that she was very beautiful and stunning in term of looks. Then as you read about her you will see that she was one of the star students at NLUJ and would have gone far in life.
Is it not possible for men to not reduce a woman to her appearance, literally in a comment thread about her tragic death?
Won't do the charade of #NotallMen but its not their fault that men are more visually stimulated by women than vice-versa.
yar men are so creepy when they get anonymous or on social media, shows their real feelings
NLUJ alum here. The point being made is that she was beautiful both inside and outside. Also, nothing wrong in praising someone who is no more as beautiful. Stop bringing in feminist critiques everywhere.
Alyosha Kumar (NLS 2008). Murdered by two goons outside the campus when he objected to them harassing his friend. He was an amazing sportsperson. The SBA common room at NLS is named after him. His parents funded it's renovation.
What makes my blood boil is that the sentence of the murderers were reduced and they are now free. The whole case was manipulated by the local bigoted Kannada media, which portrayed the issue as one of β€œoutsider” kids polluting Kannada culture. The judge acknowledged that the murders tried to molest one of the girls (which is why Alyosha stepped in) yet these goons are β€œheroes” for these idiots. I have no doubt that the judge had his biases too. It was just a group of friend who went out partying, as happens in every law school. The Nagarbhavi area was very bad those days. Absolutely nothing to do with any cultural clash.
And here on LI, nut kids dream of changing legal landscape after having law degree.
Symbiosis Law School, Pune, 2010

Rajiv Agarwal passed away in the German Bakery blast. May his soul rest in peace.
Nivedita Nathany from GLC, Mumbai.

She died in an unfortunate accident near NCPA, Marine drive while she was trying to cross the road to the other side of the drive. Now GLC has an award under her name given out to the best student who qualifies all the laid criteria and after a panel interview.
There is a very sad story from my NLU. There was an informal boys reunion of 20-30 people or so. Most were law firm people. They were showing off their fancy branded gear and some were crudely boasting about how they were dating/marrying good-looking junior girl associates. There was one guy who was working in a lawyer’s chamber in a trial court, not earning much and perhaps unsuccessful in dating girls for this reason. He felt sad thinking that his batchmates were so rich and successful but he was poor and unpopular (in his perception). He committed suicide a few days later.
Darren Mathew Punnen. He was my batchmate at Christ and was from BO'16. Professionally he was doing so very well and had just moved to the Germany office of NDA as their Head of Europe towards end of 2023 and he passed away due to a suspected cardiac arrest earlier this year. He was a very sweet and fun person to hang around with and was always willing to help others. RIP, Darren.
Anyone heard of the famous 2012 batch of RMLNLU? Strange deaths and (fatal) accidents right from inception. Some say there was a curse. If course there wasnt, but it sure was traggic - the various circumstances under which they passed away. There is actually a list circulating on couple of (unofficial) alum group
5-10 people die in JGU every year. Probably much more after graduation.
A 8-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.