Read 41 comments as:
Filter By
Let's admit one fact, 98% of people who do 3-year llb, especially after the introduction of 5-year llb, were not really interested in pursuing law. It is evident from the fact that you first graduated, then thought about doing a professional discipline such as law in the second or final year, and then proceeded with LLB. Also, since there is no strict requirement to pursue law, even so, more in 3 year llb, people flock in herds.

Are we fools who pursued one single degree for 5 years straight, spending lakhs of rupees in the process?

Had it been the 2000s or early 2010s, it would have been relevant coz then 3 years llb was the most popular stream. But now, what I'm seeing are mostly clueless people and uncles in their mid-life crisis opting for 3 years llb for a kick. Plus i don't think there is any other professional degree the country that has so much complexity over a degree that doesn't guarantee anything after graduation except tall opinions from seniors about this profession, which takes time. Sincerely no offense to 3 years llb, but you guys are weeners.
Are we fools who pursued one single degree for 5 years straight, spending lakhs of rupees in the process? - Yes.
Same for MBBS students. They should first pursue a BSc in biology and then choose MBBS which should be reduced to a 3year degree.
Goes to show that you have very little idea about what a BSc in biology entails. It is quite different from the MBBS curriculum.
And how does a BSc in physics help someone in law? The BALLB degree teaches very basic concepts in pol science, socio etc and are tailored to further the understanding of law. All the BA subjects can be finished in 1 year so we effectively study law for a bit over 4years.
OP is correct. Some years ago the Madras HC even made an observation that the 3 year LLB should be abolished, as such courses were filled with non-serious students and political ruffians. Time will take care of this. By 2035 the 3 year LLB will be a relic of the last.
Lol, it's the other way around. NLUs are bringing the 3 year programme back. A lot of people decide late in life to pursue a law degree, they should be given the chance to pursue it from good places. Stop gatekeeping knowledge.
Everyone deserves a second chance real lawyers don't deserve anything Dukan kholo ek baad ek tum bss
With this logic, Shailesh J Mehta school of Management IIT Bombay should be shut down because IITs are supposed to be Tech universities. Nowadays, they also have Dept of Development studies which was what TISS was for.

Abe, NLU naam hai. U as in University. University has a lot of Departments and colleges. Agar spite aur hatred ke aage dekhte, toh aisa bakwas likhne me time waste nahi karte.
Always know what a college/uni was meant for. Law colleges are meant for law, not dinghy mba and social science courses.
With this great logic, we should sign a petition to delete one of World's top MBA schools - MIT Sloan from the list of MIT's schools. Because MIT, unlike others, is a hardcore engineering school with one and only purpose - Engineering and Research. No arts, no sciences. It prides itself on being an Engineering school.

Also, the Microeconomics that people study was invented at MIT Economics dept. The whole field of Development Economics gets it's due, due to the efforts of Noble laureate Prof Abhijeet Banerjee and Prof Duflo of MIT Economics. Inko bol dete hai ki sir, MIT is meant for Engineering aap nikal lo aur resources mat use karo.

---

The point is not that you are a troll. The point is how can a Law student or a Lawyer (who are supposed to be better read, have better 360 knowledge of things than most), even for trolling, write shit like this? Dumb arguments which can be countered in a jiffy.

Aise kaise Kapil Sibbal ko haraiyega? Be a troll. Sure. But, at least don't be dumb. Ask GPT how I can counter this comment and reply. At least learn that.
Truly agree here. Most kids who pursue the 3-year LLB are either nepo kids with contacts whose "passion for law runs in the family" and/or folks who couldn't crack the 5-year BALLB CLAT/AILET.
Je logic se, toh all engineers should be forbidden to do MBA. Left ke beloved Raghuram Rajan is an IIT Delhi Engineer who changed track to become a world famous Economist. Since he didn't pursue Economics in his undergrad, by your logic, he wasn't competent enough and passionate enough to become an economist.

Search for a guy Kailash Rajah on LinkedIn. Civil Engineer from Australia. Civil Engineer (pathar, bridge wale). Changed track to do an MS in Economics from Chicago. Now is doing PhD in Development Economics under Prof Duflo from MIT. If MIT can open doors for a non pure Economist, I am sure NLS can allow us mortals in too.

The objective of education is to open doors. Not create elitist ivory towers. Also, let's assume I was a PVTG or an ST candidate, who somehow did a BA and was the first in her village to enter a district college. Now, when I got a sales job in Bangalore, I saw the 3y LLB course at NLS.

Don't I deserve an opportunity?

Also, dear troll, search what PVTG means. UPSC prelims me pucha hai. All the best. I understand you are a troll, but, let's learn something which is not taught everywhere - Empathy and Kindness.
MIT does not even compare itself to Harvard. See the Microeconomics course by Prof Jonathan Gruber. He makes fun of Harvard all the time. He says - in our time, if there were more Harvard students in an MIT lecture, it meant, the class was easy as hell. So, who am I compare MIT to a Univ in India? I could have compared it to IIT Madras, at max.

You didn't know about Noble Laureate Prof Esther Duflo (who might have done more for India than most of your NLU alumni combined), do you? Her work in Randomized Controlled Trials have effects in all decision making of Govt. of India. Such compassionate and dedicated lady.

Isiliye kehte hai, nikal ja law bubble se bhai.
bhai kisse bol rhe ho, those who don't know the difference between an article and a research paper is even?
"98% of people who do 3-year llb, especially after the introduction of 5-year llb, were not really interested in pursuing law." - Lovely statistic pulled out of thin air. IMHO, 3 year LLB students were actually more dedicated towards pursuing law. Even with the marginal age difference, there was a perceptible sense of maturity in them. If anything, 5 year courses are worse - you're in a lock-in for half a decade, what if you realise in year 3 that you did not want to pursue law?

"Are we fools who pursued one single degree for 5 years straight, spending lakhs of rupees in the process?" - No, but you saved a year, right? Even better for you. Why so insecure?

NLS is betting big on the 3 year course. So there is a market for it.
What saved an year ,were still 18 year old brianers with no knowledge of law except senseless research and due diligence report making acumen
Ap apka maturity rakh lijiye, mai apna no knowledge wali law se top law firms mein naukri aur top law schools mein professorship rakh leta hu🥲
The professors in most law schools all over the world including India have a 3-year law degree. So the joke is fully on you.
Joke is on you, they graduated 20 years ago, back then only 3 years llb existed in most colleges.
ab inko kaun samjhaye ye cheeze. Look at the young assistant profs in top NLUs around the country and see how many of them have a 3-year degree.
You know, what I don't understand is, why so much spite and hatred? I understand this post is for trolling. Some kid writes, then some kid responds and this cycle continues. But, someone must have had this original thought to type and post this and enjoy the upheaval, even when their syllabus and study load is allegedly so much.

Kid, dekho. I was introduced to law after reading Constitutional law in UPSC CSE preparation. Unlike lawyers who have others laws to understand, for us, Indian constitution has to be mugged. Vaise bhi UPSC aajkal interpretation level pe chali gyi hai. Till that time, it was unthinkable in my friend circle to take law or study for CLAT. Unthinkable. I would have been a pariah. No one in my extended friend group is a lawyer. All are Engineers. Once I did engineering I realized, I don't like it.

How hard is it to understand? I had no clue that some world beyond IIT exists. Now, let me answer some of your questions because of which you write some much again and again.

Q1. You get NLU tag without cracking CLAT.

No, we are not in this for the NLU tag. Actually, most of us are here for the good legal education which NLS can provide. For any engineer in India, any IIT>IIM ABCL, BITS Pilani, IISc > ISB H, FMS, XLRI, SRCC>other IIMs>LSR,MDI. That's it. For us, NLU tag has literally no value. No value. 0. Ask a Product Manager at Flipkart if he has heard of NLUs in his state. He will say no. Actually, Faculty of Delhi University is more well known to us as many who crack UPSC CSE, attend that college.

So, we are not in this for the tag. Bar 3y law students from buying your hoodie/shirt. I will support it.

Q2. You will steal our jobs.

A. Dekho, firstly, most people who come in the 3y course, actually have jobs. Maybe not earning 20-30 lakh per annum, or not working at McKinsey, but, they have good enough jobs, which when supplemented with a good MBA can earn 40-50 lakh in 3y. So, it is not that people who come for the 3y course will die if they don't practice Law.

B. I do agree that anyone who invests 3 years will want a placement and this will lead to more competition for the almost same number of jobs. But, there are 4 points -

- 1. These are private firms. They make their own decisions. No one, (maybe, except top party brass), dictates terms to them. Their HRs and hiring team won't exactly be swayed, no matter how much the VC advocates for the 3y admits. So, it is their own decisions.

- 2. Private firms don't care about you. For them, we all are - resources. Nothing more, nothing less. So, stop attaching so much of your self worth to them. I read about how the supposed happiest place on earth (Google HQ), shut off access to employee email accounts and sent a list to people who were laid off.

- 3. You came to this college on "supposed" merit. Then, why are you afraid now? People will take cognisance of your superior skills (which the 3y LLB students (according to you) might never have), and will recognize you.

- 4. Even if we do not get a law job, I will (plead a bit) and come back to my current job. I am not dependent on the Law placements for living my life. Of course, if I was placed, it would be a good application of my 3 years.

You know, what people realize after preparing for UPSC CSE? That the difference in gyan, reading ability, knowledge, ability to summarise and research content, is really not that much between the 501st rank and AIR 1. It has more to do with interview and some luck. This awareness increases humility. This only comes with experience.

-------

All institutions, all ideas evolve. IIM A Director has emphasized that slowly, PGPX (1y course) will replace the 2y Flagship PGP. So, should we proclaim that the 2y students are smarter than PGPX course students? No.

So, ideas evolve. The objective of IITs was to produce Engineers. Engineering means applied science. Hence, till last 5y, their undergrad was the flagship. They were not suppose to be too research driven. Now, the idea has shifted to become a full fledged research institute as Indian Govt. is flush with money. So, slowly Masters and PhD is also improving.

Similarly, India needs more quality lawyers, more jurists to support the 140 crore population. See the world Quality. Quality can be provided only by the NLUs and some other Central govt. institutes. So, for inclusive growth, and for building a nation which follows Constitutional morality in her decisions, more legally educated people are needed.

How is this a bad thing?

-------

Q3. What will my advice be to you?

No one was there to guide me when I started preparing for UPSC. I shitted here and then I shitted there. Wasted time doing mistakes after mistakes. My advice is that if you have so much free time, don't waste it on us. Spend time with yourself. The university, the nation, no one gives one hoot shit about you. Your fests don't mean a thing. Everyone will continue with their lives. NLUs will continue to get applications. Even more in their 3y course.

So, search for Sleepy Classes. Buy it's Rs. 12k full UPSC package and start preparing for UPSC CSE. Complete the prelims syllabus before your 5 years end. This way you will have an edge once you enter job market and think of cracking civil services. Remember, you won't be fighting people like us, you will be fighting IIT B and IIT Delhi top rankers. Do you really think the topper of your class who went to IIT was not capable enough to crack CLAT? He/She chose not to.

So, mug the content. Solve the Vision IAS test papers and ratofy the solutions. Be iron ready. Aage aapki marzi.

----

Lastly, it takes guts to say no to a 1y MBA, leave your job, and sacrifice time to get a law degree later in life.

I will live my life. You will live yours. You will continue posting shit here and get some kicks, I will move on. The 3y students will move on. Your time, energy and emotions will be wasted which you could have used in reading Vision IAS current affairs magazine and later, serving lakhs of underprivileged communities through your ethical decisions.

Anyway, all the best! Aage aapki marzi. Continue posting shit here. I hope I have helped at least 1 person.
Another UPSC failure who moves to law and considers himself a sage about life. Buddy, "dekho", just because you have not heard about NLUs does not mean they don't exist or that their tag does not have value amongst the legal community. Places like NLS have produced multiple UPSC toppers alongside other top NLUs and in proportion to the number of students, their success ratio is remarkable. Way better than a cr*phole like Delhi Law Faculty that has thousands of students who prep for UPSC and barely 1-2 crack it annually. Point being, no one cares why you moved to law and the insecurity of NLS students isn't because of you guys but because their own batch size is now enormous. So cut them some slack, no one in the top 5 year BALLB NLUs cares about the 3 year LLBs.
That's because you guys take up space on campus but bring little value addition to the tag.
One of the 3y LLB is from IIT KGP.

One girl is a CA.

One more is from IIM A.

- Aur kitna value addition aur diversity chahiye aapko? None of the 3 are there for the "alleged" tag. All 3 are here for good legal and comparatively subsidised education. They all have a better alumni base than NLS. And they add value to the class. Leave IIT/IIM, look at how many top founders and funded companies are specifically from IIT KGP and IIM A.

In comparison, what value addition do the CLAT kids bring to NLS? At least, after cracking Advance, many IIT guys gain confidence, use their tag to start companies and employ people. You guys do the same thing which every law student in India does - publish in paid journals, aspire and dream to be in Law firms, go for LLMs (JGLS wale bhi wahi kar rahe hai), professorships, judiciary. Creativity aur entrepreneurial spirit gayi tel lene.

Actually you are the ones due to which newer NLUs are gaining ground and you guys don't bring any extra value addition to the university and the alleged "Tag".
Op here. Not just IITians and CAs, There are retired IAS, IPS, Harvard Profs, doctors, MLAs, YouTube vloggers (Flying Bhiayya), and even Ex-Chief Ministers who pursue 3 year LLB. My only point -

1. They are just 1% of these people who have nothing significant left to achieve in life honestly. They do law either just to get a bar license for practice or to explore a new vocation (read the case of a retired army officer who was denied a bar license after 25 years of service due to contempt of court ). So privileged is the right word for them, not diverse. And Idk why there is no age limit to do LLB.

2. The kind of liberty 3-year LLB provides for any tom-dick and Harry to enroll is criminal. Can you do engineer after 10 years or work ex? No. Aside from the aforementioned 1% , I don't see any good crowd in 3-year LLB colleges, mostly average people who made a switch or goons who want to enter politics. And what alumni base are you speaking of? How many 3-year llb people are entrepreneurs, businessmen, incubators or even doing anything apart from what 5-year ppl are doing? utter bs. Stop associating yourself with such privileged people who have an exit option anytime they want.

The only point I agree with is the newer NLUs and 3 year llb are both equally adding tot eh clutter of incompetent legal graduates in the country. Look at Delhi University, 2000 grads in a year and less than 1% are in the equality bracket, 35% don't even graduate or drop out. And don't ever compare yourself with CLAT and Ailet crackers, they are already in a better spot than you by passing the exam.

We do what lawyers do, you do it for diversity crap. end of the story . .....
The IIMA individual is literally a middle-aged man who wants to expand his boundaries with a law degree. Nothing wrong with that but the point is that you take him seriously only because of his IIMA tag. Not because he cleared some rigourous competitive entrance exam (read: NLSAT) to join NLS. Same with the CAs and some engineering grads. CLAT has its flaws, it's kind of a joke of an exam, but I know plenty of people who went to top DU colleges but couldn't get into even the lowest NLU in CLAT. Point being, the 5 years LLBs are taken seriously because they still had to compete for their seat. The 3 year LLB exam doesn't have the same level of competition.