Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Can somebody who’s informed about it elaborate on this? This is shocking and we need to protect the subsequent batches from any such peril (specifically) if it exists
The National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore, is deeply shocked and saddened by the sudden and unexpected demise of one of our students, Mr. Dhruv Jatin Thakkar. Dhruv was a first year student of the B.A. LL.B programme and hailed from Mumbai. He was a warm and compassionate person, and a bright and diligent student, well-liked by his peers and faculty. The NLS community stands in solidarity with his grieving family and friends in this period of deep sadness. The University staff are working closely with the authorities and extending all support to his family members. We request all members of the community to respect the privacy of the family at this time. As a mark of respect, the University will suspend all classes for the remainder of the week. We request all members of the NLS community to come together for a condolence meeting in the Old Academic Quadrangle at 11AM on Friday 22nd March, 2024. The University welfare support service and counselling services are available to anyone in the community who needs to reach out. Sudhir Krishnaswamy Vice Chancellor
It’s in all the papers. The typical response to such incidents is that there are counselling services and Sudhir has said the same. But we are looking at the problem too narrowly. It’s much deeper. I will only say Google for the UN World Happiness Report, which came out yesterday.
The counselling services at NLS are absolutely horrible. I've tried to rely on them multiple times and they did not help at all. Rest in peace Dhruv, it's a shame I could never meet you.
Some of the reasons for such an extreme step are usually

Academic pressure & failing exams etc.

Failed love affair, betrayed by partner

Broken family/ parents divorce

Hopeless looking at future

Irreparable loss. May his soul rest in peace
speculating about reasons for suicide is freaking irresponsible. A human being is dead. Suicide is a complicated thing. People who attempt it usually have many reasons for it and not just one, and people who attempt it are often dealing with complicated mental health problems. Please do not turn this freaking tragedy into some spectacle where you get to play out your agenda- whether thats hating sudhir or getting free grades or whatever else. Have some respect for the kid and his family.
Either way if nls is related anyhow, they should take responsibility....
For what ? We don’t know what the kid was going through at all. How do you take responsibility when we literally don’t know who is responsible ? Let them investigate - maybe there’s a note. In either case suicide is more often about the person who commits suicide and what they’re dealing with than anything external.

You don’t want responsibility. You just want a scapegoat.
Everybody in the student body atleast speculates the very same reason. Just holding a mere commemoration for a suicide isnt enough, more has to be done to protect the mental health of students
so because all students are fantasising the same reason it should be true? how many of those people even knew this kid? what are you even talking about? how can someone protect your mental health? i would think if students widely want to use a tragedy like this to argue against academic rigor- that says a lot more about the students who are alive and their insensitivity and selfishness rather than any real concern for the dead.
Who says something like that? Behave decently. Asking someone to do their work no cheating shouldn’t result in this much hostility. Asking you to not capitalise on the death of a kid for your own stupid ends shouldn’t result in this kind of hostility. Have some decency.
People have pointed out that the environment within the campus can be conducive towards preventing such tragedy. It's the VC's duty to ensure such environment. If you have problem with that, then that's your personal problem.
wasnt there a rumour that nls was giving students counselling at nimhans
World Happiness Report: Why Gen Z is the unhappiest generation today

======================================================================

"While the report doesn’t outline the reasons, experts suspect heavy use of social media to be one of the key reasons for the high unhappiness rates. Social media has been attributed to driving down the self-esteem of the young. In fact, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy had called for legislation on the use of social media for the young, citing that adolescents were spending nearly five hours a day and a third were staying up until midnight on week nights on their devices. He had said that legislation was required to protect and reduce the harms of social media to young people. The excessive use of social media by the young has also led to a loneliness pandemic, which is affecting the happiness levels of people."

https://www.firstpost.com/explainers/world-happiness-report-finland-gen-z-unhappiest-generation-13750931.html
I thought of suicide as a student in a reputed NLU, because I failed a year and had bad grades. I also didn't get a good job and had to go into litigation, whereas my batchmates (who became my seniors) were placed at CAM and such firms. They were busy buying Apple products and good clothes with their sign-on bonuses. Junior girls were flocking to them, while no girl showed any interest in me. My parents helped me out of my depression and I reconnected with my old school friends and childhood friends, instead of the toxic and fake crowd at NLUs. Today, I am doing well in my career in litigation. I find it ridiculous that I even thought of suicide, because grades mean nothing in the real world. Also, most of the people who joined CAM left after 1 or 2 years, as they did not like it. Some went into litigation, where I am now ahead of them, LOL.
Fortunately you had supportive parents who helped you. Many parents are not as understanding.
A 15-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.