Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I don't want to be rude but the work that these interns are sending is really not up to the mark. How can I tell them that their work is not satisfactory??

I was thinking that I would just let it be without saying anything to them but I don't think that is correct.
If it's someone up for placement or in their 5th year let them have it🀷. If it's someone younger, take time out when you're free and guide them to deliver stuff the way you want them.
First, orient them towards receiving feedback constructively. You could say, "we should review your work, and here's what I think... please understand that this is feedback about the work and not you" or something on similar lines.

Second, stick to feedback about work. No personal attacks.

Third. Direction. Create an actual path and learning schedule to improve them. Can't type? There are websites. Can't read? Read a book/newspaper everyday. Can't speak? Help them join a club.

This is a pivotal moment not just for the intern, but also for you. The impression they carry will remain etched for years, and will also become your market reputation. Take genuine interest in their growth, and they will help you grow.
Provide feedback, it will help them understand the gaps.

Don't have to worry about being rude (you don't have to be). In any case, it will help them in the next internship or when they become an associate.

Lastly, as part of Tie I firm, I never expected interns to deliver exceptional work, they are students after all. In just bore in mind the time when I was an intern and the level of limited understanding I had regarding work products.
Say however you like but please don't raise your voice and appear like you are "shouting". I cannot forget that day when I got shouted back to back . I was about to break down but somehow controlled myself out of professionalism and manhood and the SA's only stopped when they saw my sore eyes. The entire internship was so good but that one day ruined it all. Fast forward to now, I know that I have to be thick skinned and learn to deal with such remarks. The worst part is being a person with loud voice who has habit of shouting, I have come to realise that I never 'mean' what "it actually feels like" to another person.
I mean just tell them the specific instances where it was below par - a general 'your work is bad' will not help anyone.

An intern's job is to make mistakes and learn, not produce output like associates
A 20-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.