Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
I'm reaching out as I recently completed my interview process and have joined Jindal for the spring semester. While I'm excited about this new chapter, I can't help but notice some concerning reports circulating regarding faculty turnover and welfare at the university.

The rumours about faculty departures and zero increments have left me with some questions about the current state of affairs at Jindal. As someone who's eager to contribute to and grow within the academic community, it's important to me to understand the university's stance on faculty welfare and support. Any leads?
It's pathetic. Most people here are desperately trying to find alternatives and leave. Be warned.
You are getting tons more of money compared to most of your peers in the country including those who are better qualified and more experienced than you. So suck it up, buttercup!
Money that’s below UGC payscale!!! Ask those who were promoted this year!
What rubbish! There is not a single full time Jindal faculty who gets paid less than what they would have earned under UGC scale had they been teaching at any public university.
Congratulations.

Jindal is one of the best faculty employers in India.

Positive

Good salary, higher than UGC pay scale.

Minimum teaching hours (8 hours per week)

Ample time and funding.for research, travel grants etc better than any private uni in the country

Housing, transport, food on campus, health center, sports, other facilities.

No unnecessary attendance rules - punch in,.punch out like most private universities

Disadvantages

Location is rural Haryana. Sonipat small town nearby. Delhi is away.

If having school going kids, no top class schools in Sonipat like Delhi or Noida/Gurgaon.

If aged parents, no Max, Apollo or high quality hospital in the city.

Rest all fine.
You have to obey whatever the admin says.

You cannot take disciplinary actions against any student for improving standards.

You have to resign to the fact that more than half of the batch will be apathetic towards learning in general and law in particular.

You will have to shamelessly do PR for the University.
First email by faculty to all JGU faculty

We live in an age where the democratisation of decision-making through digital tools is a reality. While I echo our VC and Dean Sudarshan’s coverage of the appraisal process, I wish to understand if that is also the common feeling amongst the rest of us colleagues. I am trying to understand the perception we hold of this process which is reflected in our compensation package. Let me explain what I am trying to find out through an example: I am a lawyer with particular years of experience. When I look at my compensation package from JGU, I feel that while it had matched the industry standard at the time of joining, it does not do so anymore. This has left me distraught. (This example is intentionally kept short to underline the brevity that is required in emails that solicit responses but please do use as many words to explain your reasons for agreement or disagreement with the compensation package.)

A few things to note:

1. It is an anonymous survey. Your email id is required only for login. Your answers will not be referenced to your name or email ids.

2. Please mention your correct designation.

3. Please write detailed reasons.

4. Please do NOT mention your compensation package anywhere. In fact, do not use numbers (or digits) to express any amounts anywhere in the form. This rule is specifically formulated so that we do not violate JGU HR policy.
Reply by VC

This is not way the discussions relating to compensation can be undertaken. Please stop sending mass emails to the entire JGU community. If you have specific grievance relating to your compensation, please send an email to HR and that will be examined as per the university procedures and processes.

I request you to immediately STOP sending such mass emails to all faculty regarding individual compensation. These are not only matters of confidentiality but also based upon elaborate procedures and processes that were followed in a transparent manner. Notwithstanding that, if there are grievances on account of compensation, you should address them specifically to the HR.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards
Be that as it may, this in no way proves that any faculty is getting paid less than UGC scale. Litigation experience has got nothing to do with determining pay scale under UGC norms anyway. It's got to do with seniority and degrees.
If it had been transparent, then everyone would have known already what's the salary that their colleagues are getting. People in public universities are aware of that, since that's public knowledge and follows established calculations.
No faculty needs to do any PR. There is JGU Media and outreach office to take care.

60% class in JGLS good quality students. 10% are the best in the country. compare with any law school. Why focus on bottom 20%.

Students fail courses. 500+ students were debarred on attendance grounds sometime back. There is zero interference with faculty decisions. You can always take all possible actions to improve academic standards. Nobody stops you.

Faculty is above the admin. Why will you obey them?
Only someone who is being paid to write can come up with such blatant untruths having no relation with reality.

1. Most faculty do PR including sharing the content prepared by the PR team. They do similar PR by approaching foreign scholars and recommending their names for global ranking survey purposes.

2. Your maths skills need work, especially addition. In any case, 10% best proven how? Using what metric? 60% good? Any faculty would contest that. I have taken classes there and the reality is far from what you claim. Only a handful of students display any regular and consistent desire to learn. Maybe 10% of any class.

3. Really? Most of the debarred candidates ended up giving exams after admin intervention. That's an open secret. Any disciplinary action taken against influential students result into the faculty being pressurised by the admin to reconsider. Phonecalls start coming from 'influential' sources. Students collude to give bad feedback against faculty who try to impose discipline. Teachers are recorded in class without their consent and certain clips leaked without context on social media. People's increments and appraisal get affected.

4. Not when admin gets to decide faculty's appraisal, promotion, salary scale and even the job security. Case in point, Raj's immediate censorship of the faculty email about salary disparity.
Idk. What to tell you. The numbers speak for themselves. Youve joined now so you might as well stick out the year. Ask around to find out how many people have left in the last year alone- that number will shock you. Ask around and find out how many of the faculty have terrible health problems because of sonipat, how the food on campus is not nutritious, how faculty do not really get to use gyms because students are always there, how accomodation in tulip and max are crumbling. and how shuttles to the university are over crowded during examination time which is a problem because even if max and tulip are only a little distance away walking around in sonipat alone- is a dangerous endeavour.

there is a widespread sense that increments are given to admin folks because theyre in the good graces of the administration even though they do fairly little work in terms of class prep or in terms of evaluation and student facing work. These decisions are never justified or transparent- they dont even explain to you why someone got a raise and someone didnt. Last year i heard of several people who actually had their salary amount changed in the salary adjustment email to less than what was agreed upon at the time of joining. The university might be paying more than some other universities- but it is no longer true that its the best paymaster for legal academics in india.

Faculty welfare and support is not really a priority at all for the university. and if you try to enforce rigor and have standards in your education you will be at the mercy of a student mob and an admin that dances to their tunes. the way administrators see this is -faculty take out salaries from university corpus
A 8-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.