Read 84 comments as:
Filter By
Lets collate a list of law firms that exploit legal interns to save money and dont offer job at the end of assessment internship.

If we publicly shame them maybe the HRs will stop restorating to this practice. Heart wrenching to be left jobless after investing so much time and efforts.

I'll start:

Lakshmikumaran & Sridhan
I thought it was just me they did this with but looks like AZB has a reputation for it lmao
I really wanna name this one but my identity can be easily recognized
Why do I have a feeling I know who you're talking about, does their name start with C?
I think they've been offering PPOs for a while now? Although they have a bond like think for a minimum 3 years or so. CTC is around 13 LPA(source-GLC circle)
Veritas legal. The HR is known for it. The firm wasn't even hiring for the previous batch and was done hiring for the current one, still this intern was given hopes of a PPO in the name of a long term internship.

Another one would be bharucha & Partners. After promising assessment internship based on performance the hr never contacted them for one.
Giving hopes of recruiting, false promises, showing their willingness to convert a long term internship into a PPO is morally and ethically wrong. It may not be a big deal but students tend to take terrible decisions because of these promises. Also, if the firm is not looking to recruit then it's best if no assurances are made. Better live up to the word given by them.

Pov of students- if any such assurance is given, the student may not line up any internships, may decline offers/ assesment, may have to cancel up on internships, etc. This negatively impacts the career of a student and many students do feel depressed after spending 5yrs or 3yrs (3+3=6 years) into a profession where they don't land a job.
No way anyone rejects job offers for assessment internships! Get your head out of your posterior and be truthful for once!

People beg for assessment internships, where even if firms are not inclined to hire them, and pester their way into this position; and then, if they're not truly brilliant (which is the the only way you would get in) and are not made an offer, sully the good names of the firms that are nice enough to grant atleast a modicum of insight on the skills and lawyering required to work at the firms.
People do reject offers for assessments if the offer is not from a well known or well paid law firm and the assessment is.

Your second paragraph didn't make sense. If they are not inclined to hire the firm shouldn't offer an assessment. No scope to "pester their way into the position" lol.
Let's put this bluntly - assessment internships are do not land a job unless one is brilliant, nothing less will do - you'd have got an offer while in law school / college otherwise. All the ones ranting and bitching about not getting an offer after an assesment are clearly not good enough.
And to put it kindly - if you don't land a job after an assessment internship, its best to get feedback about why you didn't, if that isn't available, truthful self reflection of your shortcomings and working on it is helpful. Bashing firms is a way to cope, but isn't constructive.

There is nothing wrong in taking a job that pays less, if nothing else, to get to make mistakes and still have some control over your future. Markets have generally been bad for freshers in the last 3-5 years (unlike 10-15 years ago), and so there are fewer opportunities for employment without post-qualification experience.
This person is completely oblivious of the fact that some firms literally do that to cut their costs.
Really? 5 assessment interns for 3 months at 30,000 a month is 4.5 lakhs. Annualized it is 18 lakhs. That's nothing from a cost-cutting perspective. Let's stop being ridiculous with these theories please.
No firm pays 30k lol what are u on? Most firms barely pay 10k. Also what is your annualized calculation, not every quarter do they do this, that's the point of not converting
So the "cost savings" alleged is minimal / negligible, and is not really a credible allegation against law firms, is it?
18lakh = milked associate to the max = work done 10 (Hypothetically)

18 lakh = 5 assessment interns milked to the max = 45-50

Now tell me whether this is cost cutting measure or not? ☠️
The flaw with this is that you're assuming that interns do work at the level of associates or at 90% of associates.

Realistically 5 assessment interns maybe= 1 associate. Except they are not billed out.
The flaw in your argument is that you are assuming that A0s are 5 times better than final year student. I don't want to be rude but I hardly believe that 1 A0 is equal to 5 interns.
True. There's practically no difference between A0 and assessment intern. Both do the grunt work and assessment interns are actually more diligent
Except they were better right - they got an offer. You're still looking for one.
True with S&R Associates. The partner's need to live up to their word lol.
Ive hard S&R usually is straightforward with hiring compared to other firms. They're very selective in offering internships, but when you perform well and do the term sheet, it isn't too hard I think
Ikigai Law, they will exploit you to the core in the name of call-back internship and then lateron tell call-back is just like a normal internship and not an assessment.

ideally, avoid this place, some of the associates are so toxic would have asked you to work late nights regularly and even on weekends!

Man, get some life, live, and let your interns live their lives peacefully after office.

Ideally, you will learn a lot of core tech law works, but would make you work so much that you will burn out
Wadia Ghandy is the absolute worst when it comes to this practice. They recruit interns from local Mumbai colleges (no attendance issues), then make interns do long term internships(entirely unpaid) with no intention of giving them a job. A friend of mine interned in the disputes team for 10 months only to then be told they had no vacancy
Oh ha, Wadia Ghandy is known for this. My friend interned there in corporate/M&A for 6 months - all unpaid.

3 months non-assessment internship.

He was good enough to get a 3 month call back assessment internship.

1 junior partner and 2 senior associates liked him enough to want him to join but the corporate/M&A managing partner blocked it and asked him to do another 3 months (unpaid again) of assessment and then they would decide.

He did not go back.

Lots of stories like this one.
what the actual fuck? This is literally exploitation. I hope your friend is doing well now.
Only a small percentage of the total interns at a law firm will be selected. No need to be salty about it. If there is no stipend paid, have self-respect and do not intern at the law firms listed here, there are plenty of people ready to take your place.
Lmao KCO, Noida tops this list by far. The HR doesn’t even try to hide that there’s a hiring freeze.
I know about KCO. Once a mid-NLU guy was denied a PPO interview on the grounds that KCO doesn't have a policy to offer PPOs to lower NLU ppl, even though the guy performed very well.
Same is the case with CAM. They even tell T2 NLU peeps that they are not eligible to be assessed as CAM has a list of top colleges and it hires only from those colleges.
Sorry to break it to you- but EVERY law firm exploits interns and even associates.
Dentons Link Legal. This year they provided assessment internships in bulk through college internship cells of various NLUs. After joining, their Delhi HR told all the assessment interns that they have never offered any such assessment internship and that it is a normal internship. Such a scam.
Ikigai Law.

They give out dozens of assessment internships per year. And only to those students who have already interned with them before. So, they will also make you work 7 days a week and pull all-nighters for months. That too, unpaid. But they never really offer PPOs (max one per year). Thus, a hardworking student will end up wasting months of his time.
At least LKS pays 20K per month, and even some of the long-term interns do get job offers. Think about firms like Dentons Link Legal 15-20 assessment interns, and that too without any stipend. Imagine doing free internship for a firm continuously for 3-4 months under the guise of assessment, only to be told at the end that there are no vacancies.
A 14-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 22-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 13-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 22-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.