Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
I was working in an all equity firm which i thought would be my dream job and dream team. I had high hopes and dreams of working very hard and doing well within the firm. I was aware of the reputation my team and the partners running it carried but just didn't think I would find myself at the receiving end of it.

Unfortunately, there were these so called mid level who had a personal dislike with me and ensured that my life would be a living hell over there. The partners didn't support me and I was targeted and fired. I was fired on grounds of mental health i.e. put in a position that I could take long mental health leave (unpaid) or resign at that time.

There's much more that I can't reveal here but you get the idea that it was a conspiracy to get me to quit. I was humiliated, tortured and picked on everyday.

The whole incidence is a huge trauma for me. I am in deep, deep pain. It caused me immense agony and I am left feeling deeply hurt. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this. I don't know what was so bad in me that this happened.

Is there no justice? Are there no consequences? Can people in these firms actually get away with doing anything to anyone at any time? These are rainmaking partners earning 4-6cr p.a. it's fine if they didn't want me, they could have just asked me to quit. Why did they not deal with this in aore mature and sensitive way?

I used to love law and now I'm questioning if i even want to pursue anymore since I have clearly failed.

What is my future? Have I failed forever?
I so wish that I could sit down with you and counsel you but that's just not possible.

Anyways, no it's just a small bump - don't make it a big obstacle through your mind.

Also, for heaven's sake, pl don't take guidance from LI community where all of us are anonymous. Rather, approach a mature / established lawyer on whom you can trust and seek guidance.

All the best! :D
But WHY?

Why me?

What was so bad in me?

How do I get over this?

I put them on this pedestal and they didn't even care for it. It was just downright cruel and they know it.

I will never be able to join the
I will never be able to join to form again. It's the current highest paying law firm in the country atm.

Don't they have a conscience? They're aware of how affected I was by this and still they did nothing and just kept pushing me out.
I literally have panic and attacks. I don't get out of bed all day thinking about the way I was treated. I have lost the will to get up and work again. My confidence and esteem is at an all time low.
Is there no justice? That's it? They did what they wanted to do - hire fast, fire fast and torture me and there are no consequences?

So I am just a nobody that people can just to anything to at any point in time?
bro calm tf down, these things are very usual at these firms, move on to another. Its not just you.
I understand you feel hurt and which is natural.

But there is nothing to be gained from dwelling on these feelings. This is how the world operates. From another perspective i genuinely feel that you are very lucky that you had sh an experience quite early in your life

This will help you take more mature decisions which will be beneficial for your growth. The important thing is that rather than taking it as a setback consider it as a springboard for future success.
To be very truthful - I have faced many setbacks iny life and I have felt exactly the same way you are feeling now. My only learning is that you don't have to take failures / setbacks to your heart. You have to let it go and start moving ahead - with fresh vigor and renewed spirit. Just get up buddy. As you will rise in your profession, you are bound to experience more setbacks - that's how growth happens - don't be afraid of those.
Alright. I admit that the only thing to do here is put it behind and move on.

But it just hurts a lot. I was targeted. It's not a nice feeling. I don't know what was wrong with me (in terms of knowing how/where to change/improve).

They gave me deep self doubt in terms of quality of work. And that's the only work I liked and know!!

I have to change my practice area altogether now to a general M&A from scratch.

Also, hard to accept there will be no justice. They'll mint their money, enjoy a lavish life and amazing parties while I willl struggle for idk how long. Quite a fair chance that I won't make partner because this experience made me genuinely lose interest in the profession.
Though it may feel terrible at the moment, it’s not the end of the world or your career. Keep at it and find something you like doing. You may not see it now but in the long run, hopefully this is just a temporary blip.

Please do seek professional help if you’re struggling with this mentally. Anonymous LI commenters aren’t really going to help.
What they did to you is more of a reflection of the kind of people they are and not the kind of person you are.
You must be at a lala firm. Leave immediately for a better firm like 3legal