Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
I am currently in my fourth year of law school, my college just announced results for the first semester of my 4th year and I find myself confronted with an extremely challenging situation as I have accumulated 16 backlogs resulting from a series of unfortunate family circumstances that led to prolonged absenteeism in exams. I do acknowledge that I have a higher count of backlogs compared to most of my peers, and majority of people who pass law school but I have heard that 1-2 backlogs are perceived as inconsequential. I am from a lower-tier college in Mumbai and possessing a below-average CV, I am genuinely worried about the potential repercussions this might have on my future career prospects. I need to know how these backlogs might affect my future career prospects and the weightage given to these backlogs during the recruitment process?
tbh, u won't get a good job. Start preparing for Judiciary/other govt exams.
Focus on building your CV. Most firms don’t ask for your marks card anyway
What? Marks matter the most, they determine rank. Having backlogs puts you out of the rank list entirely. It is going to be a huge problem.
That is if you go through the placement route. Through the ppo route no one gives a shit about marks. I got a ppo in the 4th year and I was interning with the firm for a year, the partners didn't even know which college I was from or which year, they saw the work and recommended me for a ppo.
Join a chamber as an intern, small one and aim for counsel practice
I mean, 16! thats an impressive number! It will be difficult to convince employers that you would be a good hire with that. Add to that the lower tier college and the admittedly below average CV- Youre not really giving recruiters any reason to think things will turn around. I suggest you either work towards examinations, or you start in litigation and do the grind for a few years until you are able to pivot. law firms look unlikely to be honest.
In my opinion, don’t take advice in this forum seriously until you get a trusted and reliable source to answer this question, it would only add on to you getting overwhelmed. Take a genuine advice from a working professional in this field who has been through something similar as most of those commenting are law students from your age pool.
Can anyone who is a part of the recruitment process confirm whether the firms look at your transcripts for each semester or the final transcript that is issued to you? I guess it’s the latter and in case of latter, I don’t think it would matter as it’s not reflected but I can be wrong though. It would be better if anyone could confirm this
I am also looking for an answer to a similar question. Can someone please confirm!?!?
Not the correct person to answer this as I didn't have any backlogs during my course but maybe consider a LLM. That could help you compensate for the backlogs and don't stress!
Backlogs won't matter 10 years down the line and you will do just fine provided you put in sincere effort in the profession or in whatever field you pursue. Let me tell you a story of two batchmates who graduated from a Tier 1 NLU. One had got a year back and the other was an average student with decent GPA but stellar publications. 16 years down the line both of them are working in the same organisation at same level and the person who had a year back is now considered a better team leader by some juniors.
I did law from a T1 and had lof if backlogs however in our college they dint write F against subject names. I got saved.
Did you have any symbol or asterix of some sort to denote that it’s your second attempt?
Not the best to do so. Most LLM applications require you to upload your current transcript, and with 16 backlogs (that will be reflected in the transcript, most likely with 'F' grade), I doubt the application will be accepted. Apply post acquiring the final transcript, once all backlogs are cleared.
Once you graduate, leave law ! It's not for you. Try MBA, try MA in Pol Science, try Govt job exams. But don't pursue law. Since you have 16 backs it shows your inconsistency and immature outlook. I'm sorry, but I've seen people in far worse condition, where they've lost their parents, didn't have money, met with an accident and even then managed to be serious enough to manage their grades. An average CV will get you a job, yours is below average. Moreover law requires being consistent for a long time to achieve something. Which you clearly lack. Accept it. And move into something more you type like a creative endeavour or business. All the best.
Honestly, I think it’s better to not discourage OP because it could have been anyone and you are no one to decide how grave this person’s circumstance is. They aren’t asking you to deliver a lecture on consistency and hardwork. All they asked you was whether you are aware of the consequences this might hold and if you are unaware of how things work in a professional setting, it’s better to not discourage anyone. You never know what a person might be going through.
This is not discouraging. It's the hard reality. It's the truth that OP must face. People here from T1 law schools with good grades and great internships are still finding it hard to land a job. How is OP going to justify 16 backs ? I've seen people with 5-6 backs struggle. Do you understand how much 16 is ! I've even seen dumb students clear the papers with BS writing, clearly OP is not meant for law. And that's fine. Atleast they found out now. Instead of 10 years later. Listen to me OP, one of my batchmates was in a similar situation as yours, not many backs as yours, still struggling. He ended up going for a masters from JNU in IRAS, and today he's working in a policy think tank, but most importantly he's happy. You have to understand that a legal career actually starts post graduation. So ask yourself honestly if you're really ready for law ? Instead an MBA or MA is much better. However, still If you truly want to continue with law, crack CLAT PG, join NLS, NALSAR, NUJS etc for an LLM or join a local Advocate for one year and start progressing there or your best bet is join a PPO and move up accordingly. But honestly, 16 backs is difficult to justify for a law firm.
This is the most realistic advice. 16 backlogs!! That's more than the number of courses we have in a year. It's a task in itself to accumulate so many backlogs!
I remember sitting for my placement interview and everything was based on my CV and interview and they only asked for my transcripts post my selection and that too only the final one that is issued by your university at the end for your degree.
By the time OP even has a chance to sit for the interview, he'll need atleast 2 years to clear his backlogs.