Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
This is gonna be a long one skip if you don't wanna read a rant.

To all the seniors and the professionals in the field I need your help please guide a junior out. I am kind of in a dilemma in my career trajectory. Before I vent out my grievance I gotta give my slight background information. I am a third year law student at a tier 3 law college. I have always had a very casual attitude with my life until i got my second internship which is now have turned into a long term internship. I have adopted the GLC model where I just work at a litigation firm as a permanent intern type and basically get that required exposure and learning which an A0 might learn in his first year of his job.

Now the thing is I love litigation. I love everything about it. It is the reason the damn reason i use this website more than instagram and scalp any information about litigation chambers or anything about litigation. Earlier, when I first started my college I thought I would just join T1 corporate Law firm and my main motivation was just for purely financial incentives. I never actually wanted to be a "corporate lawyer".

Now that mindset changed when i got this internship at T3 litigation firm and i was delegated a lot of tasks which probaly an A0 of this firm would do or possibly the PA too and I fell in love with litigation but one thing which always bothered me is the money and the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Earlier some days ago i saw a thread on LI where a PA was talking about some luxury car reccomendations and that just hit me. I was like if i compare my career trajectory with this PA i might just be still getting pushed around and be a struggling lawyer and mind you I just come from a middle class family with not much of an impressive finances. That feeling of what if in litigation just fucks me up sometimes

Like I still have three years to decide but I don't know even know if corporate law is for me I can't just imagine myself to the horrors or abuses which a Corp lawyer faces at T1 firms , lemme ask you all the T1 lawyers is the money actually worth it ? is it worth it ? Do you actually love your desk job and that corporate life? Why didn't you choose litigation and chose corporate?

I mean somewhere or the another i do realize the fact that I am only considering the corporates because of the fat paychecks and nothing more. I got into this field accidentally and gave clat as if it was my class test I hold no regrets about it, I fucked up and now I am paying its price some way or the another.

I got some hope again where I saw some paymasters like Gopal Sankarnarayan and Rajshekar Rao who pays their junior well and I am delusional enough to think that maybe I will get a place in one of these two chambers lmao

I even planned out my trajectory to survive in litigation someway or the another it was basically

Disputes Team at a t2 firm> Junior Filing Chamber > Senior Adv's office (Preferred GShanks or Rajshekar). I don't know whether it is just me being young and dumb but I am this delusional enough to be placed at both of these chambers. I really hope that never meet your heroes phrase is wrong

I don't know man I guess I had a rough day at work I feel like I have used this site like a therapist or sum venting platform. I couldn't bother anyway. I hope the mods are kind enough to post this vent of mine.
(1) GSK / Rajshekhar will not take just anyone. I know candidates who are applying to RR for more than one year.

They will see your lineage bhai.

(2) Everybody wants to be next Sarih Halve whwn they join law. Everybody wants to argue in Delhi HC or SC.

If you go to Delhi HC, and SC you will be shell shocked to see Sons and Daughters of Justices / Sr Adv from even ALL OVER INDIA eager to make their mark in Delhi HC / Sc and other Tribunal.

Sorry to say this, but family pedigree DOES matter in this profession.

(3) Kyu bomb kar rhe ho apna career?

Sab seniors aur alumni bewkoof thodi hai jo law firms me job krte hai ?

We all were in your place once. The path is set.
Bhai GSK , RR ka naam yaha faltu uchala jata hai. Not saying they aint good. They may be .

But hundreds of sr advs /non designated Advs in delhi equally good like them.

Kabhi oabhi lagta hai GSK , RR ka naam inke chamche hi uchalte hai baar baar.
hi

I made a google form to answer this question - it records everyone's position, their work hours and how content they are - you will get the link to the open source sheet link after you fill the form. people reading this wanting to help this individual out can fill this and also see what other 30ish associates think of their career

https://forms.gle/yXcnBu7x7iQEbYGU8
^ This could have been made anonymous. If possible make an anonymous list (like the one we have for crowdsourced salary excel sheet).

No one will input such forms which exposes their names and details! Bad move.
hi, will do. but how is this not anonymous? i cannot see anyone's email, there name, there IP. anything? your email is also not recorded. genuinely confused
I will re-check. I guess creator (your) can easily see with whom that file is shared in googledrive "shared" section.