Read 38 comments as:
Filter By
Justice Sachin Datta then said that he was appalled by the allegation and there could be a conflict of interest in Sankaranarayanan appearing for Moitra in this case.

"I am really appalled. You are a person who is expected to maintain the highest professional standard. If you have been in contact with Defendant No 2..It means you have played the role of a mediator. Do you think you can appear in this matter," the Court asked.

https://www.barandbench.com/news/mahua-moitra-lawyer-gopal-sankaranarayanan-withdraws-jai-dehradai-delhi-high-court

OMFG!! Jai Dehadrai is John Wick on steroids!! Taking down Mahua, the Hiranandani group, SAM and now Gopal Shanks!! But it also shows what a cosy little cabal Lutyens Delhi is!!
He hasn't taken down any of the first 3 yet. However, GShanks was supposed to have known better. Nobody is beyond reproach these days. Caesar doesn't even have mistresses or concubines left, let alone wives.
Can someone explain to me what Gopal is supposed to have done wrong? Don't lawyers negotiate with the other side on behalf of their client to reach a settlement all the time?
Yeah, I didn't get this either...have seen it routinely and not aware that it's frowned on. Under CPC isn't there a provision for mandatory mediation anyway?
Absolutely nothing wrong the way I see it. Jai did not have a lawyer engaged and he is someone who has briefed Gopal earlier. Gopal apparently asked Mahua if he could see if a settlement is possible. So he called Jai, who apparently recorded the conversation. He asked Jai to get back if he thought it was possible and Jai did not. We lawyers do this all the time and it doesn't amount to mediation. Awful of Jai to first keep quiet for years on so-called wrongdoings and then complain after he breaks up. Doubly awful to not even ask Gopal to withdraw but to make it seem like there was a conflict. I stand with Gopal on this.
Clearly gopal feels the same way too, otherwise why would he withdraw?
Jai complained beacuse his dog Henry was forcibly taken also i guess this type of mediation is not sort of allowed in between of case like sort professional misconduct if am right
Lawyers mediate/negotiate but Senior advocates should have no role in this. Client dealing is the responsibility of the briefing advocate.
I’m a little lost. Making a settlement offer to a counterparty on behalf of a client makes me conflicted to represent the client? What am I missing?
ILS Pune.

Is he a first-gen lawyer or does he come from a position of power? Has a stupendous practice considering his experience.
NLS graduate. Father was Chief Secretary of Karnataka. KK Venugopal is an uncle on his mother's side.
Kahan se NLS.. he is from ILS.. I was in college same time as him, speaking from personal knowledge.
Cute seeing all the GS fanboys (NLSIU students?) defending him. Guys, please look upon ethics 101. GS is bound by guidelines for Senior Advocates, which prohibit this sort of "mediation".
The level of buffoonery in the comments never ceases to amaze. Per the article, JAD says GS offered a quid pro quo - withdraw the complaint for his dog. The unsaid subtext is pretty clear - coercion not mediation. That must be the reason why the Bench reacted how he did.
Mediation, settlement are about give and take/ quid pro quo. This can’t be called coercion!
How does this amount of GS trying to act as a mediator? Someone get this judge to brush up his basics.
When I file a Suit for Defamation and I try to settle it out of the Court for a consideration , it is a simple case of extortion .
A lawyer can speak to the other side counsel and discuss some settlement is possible. But a lawyer representing one party to a litigation should never speak to a litigant on the other side directly, even to discuss a settlement. And especially a designated senior is not supposed to do so.

That said i know gopal for long, and i doubt he had any malicious intent. He must have done it in good faith and then got sandbagged in court, without realizing he has put himself in an awkward position.

It also reflects very poorly on Jai Dehadrai. He is a fellow professional and should have gently put it to Gopal not to appear in the matter after having tried to mediate in the dispute, rather than acting nasty in court.

Anyways good luck to all of them.
> But a lawyer representing one party to a litigation should never speak to a litigant on the other side directly, even to discuss a settlement

Why? What prohibits them?
I was in Court when this happened. It hasn't been fully reported. When Sachin Datta said he was appalled, Gopal said "Are you going to judge me before I tell you what happened?" Justice Datta kept quiet and then Gopal said "Jai has briefed me in the past and so I know him. I asked my client if I could reach out to him to see if there was a way of settling this and she said ok and so I did. He said he would get back to me and then did not respond till now. There was no mediation."

I think we should ask why Jai had to record this conversation? How can anybody trust him after this if he just randomly records all one off calls?
MM stans are sharing these two videos to claim that Henry belongs to her.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/49EjYrOAgdQ

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Vb2VMq6Edo4

IMO the videos actually show the reverse. Please note:

- Re video 1, the video clearly looks staged. She is looking into the camera and looks very conscious of the camera. It looks very artificial.

- Re video 2, it similarly looks staged. She says: "Nobody can love anyone the way I love my baccha (Henry)." How curious that she says this when a custody battle is on? Is it just a "coincidence" she said this and the camera "just happened" to be on? No way.

- Re video 1 and video 2, Henry doesn't doesn't lick her even once. That's uncharacteristic for a dog which supposedly loves someone.
Why is everyone conspiring to deprive the dog of agency? Let it decide wherever it wishes to stay, or whomever it wishes to wag its tail at.
A 20-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 15-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 25-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.