Read 38 comments as:
Filter By
Mediation, settlement are about give and take/ quid pro quo. This can’t be called coercion!
Kahan se NLS.. he is from ILS.. I was in college same time as him, speaking from personal knowledge.
Why is everyone conspiring to deprive the dog of agency? Let it decide wherever it wishes to stay, or whomever it wishes to wag its tail at.
> But a lawyer representing one party to a litigation should never speak to a litigant on the other side directly, even to discuss a settlement

Why? What prohibits them?
A 25-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
Jai complained beacuse his dog Henry was forcibly taken also i guess this type of mediation is not sort of allowed in between of case like sort professional misconduct if am right
They are students, hence have no clue about senior advocate designation or practices. Most of them watch Netflix during class hours, and you expect them to know ethics 101?
Exactly. Just gullible students blindly fanboying over GS (as they do over Mahua). This is the problem with Gen Z. They judge merit by media visibility.
Lawyers mediate/negotiate but Senior advocates should have no role in this. Client dealing is the responsibility of the briefing advocate.
Cute seeing all the GS fanboys (NLSIU students?) defending him. Guys, please look upon ethics 101. GS is bound by guidelines for Senior Advocates, which prohibit this sort of "mediation".
A 15-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
NLS graduate. Father was Chief Secretary of Karnataka. KK Venugopal is an uncle on his mother's side.
When I file a Suit for Defamation and I try to settle it out of the Court for a consideration , it is a simple case of extortion .
Clearly gopal feels the same way too, otherwise why would he withdraw?
How does this amount of GS trying to act as a mediator? Someone get this judge to brush up his basics.
The level of buffoonery in the comments never ceases to amaze. Per the article, JAD says GS offered a quid pro quo - withdraw the complaint for his dog. The unsaid subtext is pretty clear - coercion not mediation. That must be the reason why the Bench reacted how he did.
ILS Pune.

Is he a first-gen lawyer or does he come from a position of power? Has a stupendous practice considering his experience.
A 20-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
I’m a little lost. Making a settlement offer to a counterparty on behalf of a client makes me conflicted to represent the client? What am I missing?
Yeah, I didn't get this either...have seen it routinely and not aware that it's frowned on. Under CPC isn't there a provision for mandatory mediation anyway?
Can someone explain to me what Gopal is supposed to have done wrong? Don't lawyers negotiate with the other side on behalf of their client to reach a settlement all the time?
He hasn't taken down any of the first 3 yet. However, GShanks was supposed to have known better. Nobody is beyond reproach these days. Caesar doesn't even have mistresses or concubines left, let alone wives.