Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Exactly how is this being done? As in over and above the 30% prescribed the BCI? If yes, then what happens to the classes missed by the students because of that? The teacher is going to have to take extra classes for them? If students don't attend classes, then how exactly are they supposed to learn? Would not an opportunity to participate in the classes online on those days have made more sense? If a differently abled student claims for more leaves because of their disability, then can they cite this as a precedent? All quite interesting questions, but at least it's good that this discussion is being started. I'm all for doing away with the taboo surrounding menstruation, before anyone makes any assumption.
Interesting questions? you have cross examined the hell out of a progressive policy!

1. NALSAR has always had advanced class tech to attend classes online, people can anytime join the link and attend classes. Menstruating members can relax and attend.

2. Disability absence cannot use a menstrual policy as precedent because menstruation is not a disability. Is someone suddenly faces something, it comes under the normal health exception of 33% but proof must be procured.
If there is something that happens with my body that prevents me from traveling to ensure my physical presence in the classroom, then logic states that I should be allowed to cite the same policy to seek a leave of absence, assuming that what is happening is not accidental.
What's wrong with asking legitimate questions about a policy? Are you afraid that it won't stand the test? Nobody is asking why the policy has been made at all or anything similar.
I didn't hear that much criticism on other attendance exemption policies, only one that helps women with biological disadvantage
This is within the medical grounds that have been prescribed by BCI regulations that allow unto 67% attendance with medical exemptions.

There is a provision of online classes, every classroom has been equipped with mics (both for teachers and on top of the audience), motion-sensitive cameras and screen sharing qualities, hence any student can join in. These classes can also be recorded for viewing later. But, because many students take advantage of online classes and are not attentive, hence attendance is not granted for such online attendance (barring exceptional circumstances).

There are several disable friendly tools and CLAT by itself does not admit students with severe disabilities, therefore, classroom is accessible to all. This goes not only for classrooms but also library spaces where there is an accessibility lab that has been equipped with braille, and other disabled friendly technology, laptops and such, that helps.

I hope this answers your queries
It's great that NALSAR and DNLU have implemented the Menstrual Leave Policy however, we should note that NUALS, Kochi has had the menstrual leave scheme for a pretty long time. Kudos to NUALS for being the purveyor of the menstrual leave policy; it's wonderful to know that other law schools are also following this!!!
What exactly does the policy say? Couldn't find it on NALSAR's website
I've got another question. Have they upper capped the number of leaves that can be sought on this ground per semester?
Again, how do u care? If ur affected and a student of nalsar, contact the committee girl
The leaves would be 1 per month that would fall in the medical exemption category up till 67% (nothing lower would be acceptable).
NLS had it for a pretty long time but they had to discontinue it because of rampant misuse!
Hasn't been discontinued - someone who used it last trimester.

Stop spreading misinformation.
Start reading emails a bit. It has been discounted! We received a mail in the middle of the July-September trim.
Attached Policy -

I herewith inform you that the Faculty Members at its meeting held on October 5, 2023 has unanimously approved the Menstrual Leave Policy proposed by the Students. As per this Policy, the menstruating students of the University will be eligible for one day leave in every working month of a Semester/Trimester without any requirement of proof from the Medical Officer from next Semester/Trimester. This leave will be applied on the basis of a self-declaration/ certification by the concerned student. This leave can be availed by a student who has put up a minimum 67% of attendance.