Read 43 comments as:
Filter By
Similar incident at NYU Law, president of the SBA issued a statement like this. She had an offer from Winston Strawn and it was withdrawn after this came to light.
It's heating up:

1) Billionaire Bill Ackman threatens that those students who signed while not be recruited by major companies. https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1711788747086233661

2) A big law firm has condemned a former intern and current NYU student for supporting Hamas.

https://twitter.com/WinstonLaw/status/1711850745383866580

3) Harvard Nepali students have retracted their support for the letter after 10 Nepalis were killed.

https://twitter.com/summertwenty20/status/1711849410617921646

4) Names of individual Indian students who signed are coming out. One is a former NewsClick intern and one is a queer. People are commenting whether Hamas tolerates queers.

5) Huge divisions emerging within the left. Barkha Dutt and Rohini Singh condemn Hamas. Both being called Islamophobic by a Pakistani activist.
Should we have that in India? Ask for names of NLU students who abuse Modi and Adani but later apply to CAM to advise Adani? If NLU students have the right to free speech to say that, surely CAM has the right of information to know the ideologies of students and the freedom of business to choose whom to hire?
What's stopping cam from asking questions on those lines during the interview? I mean apart from logic, common sense and humanity.
Hang on, so you think itโ€™s fine to abuse Adani/Ambani and claim yourself to be a Marxist until your 3rd year of college, then apply in your 4th year to join CAM? That just shows how hypocritical the woke students are!
Yes, it is. You don't understand that because you don't understand Marxism.
"you don't understand" is not an argument. Go back to law school and return when you actually learn to speak, not merely virtue signal.
You don't understand precisely that. You're displaying your ignorance about Marxism.
Are you claiming that Modi and Adani belong to the same clique? If yes, then are you from the Opposition?
Just how Modi/Adani slander equates with supporting Hamas is baffling. Immaterial to the conversation. A comparison for comparison's sake.

What is troubling is that students are making sweeping generalisations with respect to the Israel-Gaza conflict and taking sides without being fully informed. The loss of civilian lives on both sides is to be condemned, but it is to be borne in mind that Israel retaliated and did not instigate Hamas to attack them.
This should be a lesson to our desi SJWs - your opinions and actions have consequences. Go woke, go broke.
Time to create some consequences to those NLS students who support queer marriage and condemned the BCI notification
Sorry but queer marriages are not the same as supporting a terrorist organization that killed hundreds of innocent people.
Yes, I support Israel and I support gay marriage. In fact, the Israeli law legalises homosexuality whereas Hamas and similar organisations condemn it. So are you a troll trying to undermine the pro-Israel community?
The consequences should be that they should be facilitated as law students who actually study and understand what the discipline is about, while you should be summarily rusticated and sent to Whatsapp University from where you get your daily dose of venom.
Very funny, but I, who wrote that 'venomous' comment, am a student of NLSiU too, the BALLB program.
It doesn't matter which university you are enrolled in. You are clearly not receiving quality education that is supposed to broaden people's perspectives, not turn them into bigots.
Lmao, good old outcasting and labelling. Showed your true colours, coward! Just because I'm not in support of the queers I am an invalid and my opinion is illegitimate. Am I the bigot or are you intellectually lazy?
Why are you indulging in cancel culture you โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ?
Wow. This is clear antisemitism. You say that itโ€™s ok to criticise Islam without consequences? LOL. Heard of Rushdie and Charlie Hebdo? Nupur Sharma?
Heard of majority of the BJP politicians? They are doing so every day without consequences.
Though I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with anti-semetism. People have every right to light or dislike, love or hate, associate or dissociate as they like. People are autonomous and free.
Itโ€™s just that hating a large group of people based solely on their religion is ignorant. It foments divisions in society and drags all of us down to religious war. Youโ€™re free - youโ€™re just not morally or practically correct.
Left-liberals are rightly getting slammed and exposed for their hypocrisy. Latest is that Daniel Carmon slammed Shashi Tharoor.
Sure. As if Qatar, Saudi, Turkey, Pakistan and the Left donโ€™t have powerful lobbies?
bro the thing is,

there are 1.6 billion Muslims spread over so many countries and the Middle East is immensely wealthy. They, through their sheer numbers are bound to have influence. There are many Muslim majority countries.

In contrast, there are only 16 millions Jews around the world, with 7.3 mil in USA and 7 mil in Israel, the rest insignificantly spread across European countries. Still, with only one Jewish majority country, the Jews have disproportionate power and sway across the most influential economies and governments.

Think about it - we have nearly a billion Hindus, but do you think we hold any sort of real power over institutions and firms and universities in other countries? When something "Hinduphobic" happens, at most a person at the place concerned will raise a hue and cry, the RW twitter bots will endlessly tweet and spread information about it, and then everyone will go back to sleep but that will pretty much be it. We can learn a lot from Jews, honestly.
Bro, people got beheaded and cities burnt for posting instagram stories against Islam๐Ÿ˜‚
The fact that so many Harvard students are dissociating from the statement after the threat of law firm/hedge fund blacklisting shows the utter hypocrisy of Gen Z wokes. They are just cosplaying as Marxists and citing Chomsky to be trendy. If they were really sincere, they would stand their ground and refuse to work for law firms or hedge funds sympathetic to Israel.

Also, please tell me something guys: How come these Harvard kids aren't saying a word about the Chinese occupation of Tibet, the Turkish occupation of Northern Cyprus, the Pakistani occupation of Baluchistan and the Azerbaijani occupation of Nagorno Karabakh? Because it's not cool to do so? You won't get as many Insta likes or TikTok followers if you champion the cause of Baluchi Muslims or Tibetan Buddhists or Armenian Christians?
You're going about the discovery the wrong way. GenZ isn't hypocritical because they backtrack when they see consequences. They are easily bullied because they easily stand with statements they never believed in in the first place purely because they are too vulnerable to the virtue signalling herd mentality. This is a serious issue across all universities that though a silent majority is remarkably conservative and even orthodox in many respects, they are coerced to put on the facade of appearing liberal for social credit.
Let arrogant firms like Clifford Chance or White & Case or CAM boycott left-wing students. It is these firms who will be the sufferers, because most of the top students in any law school in the world will be left-leaning. It's just given that critical thinkers and innovative thinkers lean left. Case in point: look at the Rhodes scholars from NLUs. Barring Arghya Sengupta, I can't think of any that is not left-leaning.

So these firms will take second-tier talent, while the toppers will prefer other firms. Butt in fairness, I should say that CAM has recruited many left-wing students, so it shows that Cyril Shroff is smart!
Iโ€™d think most of those Rhodes scholars are actually not โ€œleft leaningโ€ but moderate. Sudhir certainly is a moderate - he doesnโ€™t like Bhakts but he has equal disdain for lefties who get to esoteric with their work. Menaka fought for gay rights but on other issues sheโ€™s not a leftist by any means. Raag Yadava I hear is quite interested in teaching and learning โ€œHindu philosophyโ€ not something lefties typically graduate to.

I think most academically successful people tend to not view the world as black and white , not follow dogma and make their own mind up and change their mind several times as they grow.

This conversation is not about leftist sympathies, this is about supporting terrorism. If leftists forget than then they are truly lost.
Ryna Workman, the president of New York Universityโ€™s student bar association, has lost a job offer after they sent an email to the school on Tuesday, blaming Israel for the Hamas attack. The 24-year-old, who identifies as non-binary, wrote in the letter that "Israel bears full responsibility for this tremendous loss of life."

The screenshot of the email soon went viral on social media, causing an outrage. Following this, New York City law firm Winston & Strawn released a statement saying they heard about their โ€œinflammatory comments regarding Hamasโ€™ recent terrorist attackโ€ and โ€œaccordingly, the Firm has rescinded the law studentโ€™s offer of employment.โ€

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/11/us/nyu-law-harvard-hamas-israel.html

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindustry/anti-israel-comments-prompt-winston-strawn-rescind-nyu-law-students-job-offer-2023-10-10/

https://www.timesnownews.com/world/nyu-law-student-bar-president-ryna-workman-loses-job-offer-after-blaming-israel-for-hamas-attack-article-104326363
These days the US visa form asks for your social media handles and they Google about you anyway. For NLU kids who are genuinely communist and would never dream of going to the US for an LLM and working for White & Case, that's irrelevant. But for those who are merely cosplaying and secretly desire that career path, maybe it's time to give up that pretence.