Read 62 comments as:
Filter By
The title. GNLU has put up a strong performance as 2/6 students who had applied for the scholarship have qualified for the all-important next round. Thoughts?
OMG GNLU put up a strong performance!

Seems like the Hatim Hussain effect is back. Kudos!

What about the other four scholars? Are they from any tier-1 NLU?
It’s something like of a GNLU fanboy club where they worship their previous Rhodes scholars
I am not from GNLU, but I will be very happy if GNLU wins instead of NLSIU. I have no qualms that NLSIU dominated Rhodes until the mid-2000s, as it was the only NLU. But domination extending till 2013/2014 was unfair, unwarranted and the result of alumni bias and lobbying. More deserving grads from other NLUs were excluded. This monopoly was put to an end by certain officials from Oxford, including then Rhodes House warden Charles Conn (who visited India in 2014 and looked into the matter). Since then, selection has been strictly on merit and we have seen the result.
Charles Conn didn’t ever single out nlsiu. What’s up with your misinformation man?
Nlsiu literally won the Jessup in 2013. The 2013/14 winners were mostly from that team and were fully deserving of it. They literally went to the best law school in the country won the biggest moot competition in the world. Yet, we cry about bias....
That's good, but the final round remains and NLSIU retains the advantages of the alumni lobby and blessings from Infosys. Let's wait till the final round.
Congrats to GNLU, I guess, but why not post about it once one of your students actually receives it? I don’t see folks from other tier-1s post a shortlist message. Reeks a bit of insecurity and a need for validation.
But other tier-1s didn’t make the cut I guess. Else they would definitely have started texting here or hijacked this thread
I doubt it. Having been at a tier-1, no one considers a shortlist as a big deal, even though it’s an achievement to get one. It’s like going till the UPSC interview but not getting a rank in the final list. This seems to be a GNLU thing.
A GNLu thing? What’s a GNLU thing? So give us deets. Who else were shortlisted from tier-1?
Last year, three JGLS students including Faizan Ahmed (now Weidenfeld-Hoffman Scholar at Oxford, studying BCL) and Abhijeet Shrivastava (now Wolfson College & Cambridge Trust Scholar at Cambridge, doing the LLM) had both reached the final interview stage for Rhodes, along with another student (non-JGLS) who was into queer theory. Had the institution or its students boasted about the students reaching Rhodes' final interview in advance, people would have made fun and poked fingers at JGLS. Why not treat GNLU the same?
Another tier-1 nlu makes the cut. Tier-2 nlu students (I don’t wanna bring tier-3 into the comparison for the next 10-15 years) don’t lose hope and retake clat. If not - then be inspired from this achievement. GNLU was a tier-2 nlu once. But their students did it way back in 2019 and prolly this year as well.
The only right wing nlu to conquer India. Gujarat colleges in iit or medicine (except Kasturba) rely on gnlu a lot. Go GNLU
could you please mail at theshopeasy@gmail.com the names of the 6 who had applied and the 2 who got the shortlist? Would be very grateful, Thanks!
GNLU rocks, Gujarat rocks, Modi rocks! Mark my works: GNLU will be a top 3 NLU by 2030.
Chill, guys. Many people get shortlisted. Even people from Jindal and tier 3 NLUs usually get shortlisted. The real competition starts now: interview prep, tapping alumni networks etc. There are two key things to look out for:

1. Will candidates with woke human rights CVs dominate yet again, or will the committee be open to a candidate unabashedly interested in commercial law?

2. Will NLSIU make a comeback and will its powerful connections/networks bear fruit?
It is amusing to see Indians (who suffered as an erstwhile colony) celebrating the Rhodes Scholarship as some big achievement. I am sure students of humanities know what Cecil Rhodes did in Southern Africa (and Africa in general) to further colonial interests. This shows our mindset. Nice.
The scholarship is a big achievement because of the prospects and competition involved. In whose name it is doesn't matter. If you offer such a scholarship every year, we will celebrate that one too. Please do.
The very point (as explained by a Black Rhodes scholar once) is that it takes from the bequest of Cecil Rhodes and redistributes it to students - South Africa has many more seats for Rhodes than other larger countries for a reason
How come no news of other NLU kids being shortlisted? Gujarat lobby?
what horseracing nonsense are these kinds of threads? you know what happens in a horse race no? the horse wins the race. not the guy betting on it. Ive been friends with several rhodes scholars at university and at work- i can tell you- whoever gets the rhodes- itll be 80-90% because of what they do- not because of "networks"- those might help for jobs- but not scholarships as widely known as rhodes, not because of their university but likely inspite of their university holding them back, and not because of modiji ffs. Stop trying to take credit for the success of others- work hard and make something of yourself instead.

Also- nah, we dont need to be giving scholarships to folks who will do corp laws and go and work at white and case anyway. Those guys can make their money back. we need to give scholarship to support new original important research in underfunded areas of the law that helps underserved communities.
Okay. Why don't you check how the last 10-20 years of Rhodes scholars are helping the underserved communities? For example, Raj Kumar?
do you know the difference between a normative statement and a descriptive one? Which one is " we need to do x not y?" is it normative or descriptive?
A nalsar topper is gonna get it this year. I am sure. Well maybe not 100% but she is amazing. This year belongs to nalsar
Interview tips for those shortlisted:

- Don't dress too posh: don't wear blingy silk ties and expensive shirts. Remember, the message you want to give is that you need financial assistance. A simple white shirt is fine.

- Instead of just saying "I am interested in the field of human rights", be specific. Choose niche areas if possible, e.g. refugee rights, tribal land rights etc .

- If you're asked "Why did you choose to study law", don't say stuff like I argue well, my teacher suggested it etc. Instead, think of (or make up) some injustice that you saw as a child, e.g. the police beating up a homeless man.

- Introduce yourselves with this line: "My name is _____ and my pronouns are ___ and ___ ".

- If you're asked about Israel and Palestine, give an answer along these lines "All violence in condemnable"; "Hamas was wrong to kill innocent people and take hostages, but Palestinians also have a right to a Palestinian state".

Good luck. ❀️
Note that NLSIU is not bragging. They want to quietly be the victor, without making noise.
i'm from NLS and I don't think anyone has even been shortlisted. The batch of '24 and '25 are quite unexceptional in that regard.
I'm just here for the comments if NLSIU fails to get it again this year...lol

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿
Why are people so triggered that NLSIU lobbies for Rhodes and other scholarships? What's wrong in it? Just because your alumni network doesn't do anything doesn't mean you should rant against NLSIU! FYI Jindal too lobbies a lot. They have been succeeded to get some scholarships but not got Rhodes, so obviously merit is the main factor for Rhodes!
If you can't understand what's wrong in it, then you need to get some lessons in ethics.
Really? I don't see NLSIU lobby doing anything substantial for the past 7-8 years.
A 3-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 8-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 106-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 57-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 8-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 31-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 35-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.