Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
I am an ex jee aspirant( currently in 12th , could have gotten into top NITs( IITs this year i probably won't be able to get in...if i take a drop maybe , but now am aiming for top NLUs) who wanna do law now because law as a career really intrigues me( also the money long term ofc) compared to sitting in front of computer and code all day but when I searched law vs engineering on this platform everyone said blindly choose engineering for better wlb and pay( engineering from top NIT/IITs) I agree in engineering u get better wlb but in law u get better pay also. Look I have relatives from IITs and ik that they get huge CTCs ,30 lpa is common CTC in iits but u do know in hand is less than 1.5 right? {and that too only if u get under 5000 rank out of 12 lakh students( cse and ece branch) , for rest who get into other branches average CTC of them is like 15 lpa with in hand less than 1 lpm) And u only get stocks( which is included while offering CTC) for first 3-4 years that too if u stay with same company+ they pay much more taxes than T1 lawyers too( I am saying t1 only here because I am confident enough I would get in top 5 NLUs based on my score in CLAT mocks and can get in t1) .

Secondly, growth in law firms within 10 years is much more than engineering. Yes engineers also grow in salaries but only those do who keep upskilling themselves and learning and even after all that ,let's say after 10 years their CTC reaches 1- 1.5 crore , even then in hand will still be 4-5 lpm max ( post tax, epf, rsu, insurance , food benefits etc whatever they add in CTC) and any t1 lawyer after 10 years make more than that in hand. Also in engineering whoever says it's much easier to move abroad, calm down for a bit. Only usa pays better for top paid engineers and NOT EVERYONE these days get H1B visa lol the rate is 10-15% and then they get jobs in Cali etc which is fucking expensive, or New York for ur magic circle law firms lol. Yes if u take cost of living into consideration it's much better decision to stay in india than move abroad except better work environment ofc and ig better standard of living? But i wouldn't say that because if u r earning that much in india u can pretty much afford every single thing and lifestyle is never a compromise.

Also salary in tech only keep growing only if keep upskilling urself and learning new things or getting a mba , while law u just have to work almost same thing everyday( yes u get some diff responsibilities at diff positions but u learn all that while working inside firm itself) ,also don't u think engineers r too damn much in number( even from nit/IITs) and after PQE 10 partner at a law firm is more prestigious than a senior engineer at a software company? ( even faang) . All in all I don't have problem with working 12 hours a day in my 20s and till 30s too ( till i become an equity partner, ik I am looking too far into future but i have to, it's biggest decision of my life . Both r vastly different fields and I have to consider everything). I really don't understand why everyone here hate becoming lawyer so much and is so lala about engineering profession ( except wlb part, they do have that ) AND am I really doing wrong ( like have I understood anything wrong about law profession or engineering?) by thinking to go into law instead of engineering?
Work life balance is more important than you think. When you are working till 4am in the night back to back, all your enthusiasm will disappear

https://livewire.thewire.in/livewire/indian-law-firms-and-burnt-out-meat-robots-savagery-at-its-finest/
Well, T1 lawyers sit in front of the laptop for 12-14 hours a day as well.

For other points, yes, a T1 lawyer earns more than 99.99% of the engineers with similar experience but do keep in mind that wlb is non-existent in T1.
But it's different. Like looking at codes can be likened to due diligence of a DRHP, but what about tax litigation or hardcore PE/ VC, its actually worth it, like working for ICUL.
what a joke avg salary of engineer is 6-8 lpa wth decent college and if we goin nitiit it will be 12-18 lpa with good work life balance also even non iit can get 12 lpa which is average of t1 firm so stop sihit about sakary of lawyers is more than engineer enginerr with some xperince are earnening mor ethan 20 lpa
Who told you that the average salary paid to T1 lawyers is 12LPA? 🥲 It's OK to hate the field but don't spread misinfo! The 12-18LPA that IIT grads get are CTCs and not the actual in-hand salaries.
easy, it is respected in usa because you have to sell your soul to become a lawyer, and not many people want to sell their souls to get a profession there so less people opt for it, but in india job opportunities are much lesser, so there is an over population of lawyers so you end up selling your soul plus less cash, at least in usa you sold your soul but stable income
Hey I am a corporate lawyer, I have seen very few people have the zeal and the energy to make it to partner. Each and every day I feel I should have taken CS at an engineering college because even if you are from some random ass college you end making good money and having great work life balance.
It's honestly not just about zeal and energy, I know very weird people make partner. It's mostly about connections not only with the senior partners and the boss, but with clients, like able to get lot of pp in your mouth types zeal.

Also the CS point no, people with high CTC are making very less in hand and 95% people make 3LPA at TCS who btw is on hiring freeze. Please just do what you like.
These so called lawyers have a very poor understanding of CTC? Boss, even if you do CS from an unknown college, the pay increments in IT are second to none. There are people who are making a base pay of 50-60 lacs and earning ESOPs worth crore and that too with 2-3 PQE. The lawyers are living in lala land and create an impression as if only they are minting money
Bro you know nothing about IT. You write about IT the same way the average IT person writes about a lawyer - that any lawyer with 10 yrs of experience after graduating from an NLU charges 10 lakh for an appearance.
Almost any graduate (non Law) can do legal work without any issues.

Not possible to do engineering work without a technical degree and maths/physics knowledge.
Yes, they can do basic affidavits and shit but not what T1 lawyers do so chill
How many are such people? Please cut the crap. Just because Sundar Pichai earns a crore/day, everyone should be doing engineering?
They r NOT the only one minting the money , but after graduating from a top 5 NLU vs IIT/NIT , 10 years down the line if nlu guy just keeps persistence and patience and keep working he would be earning more than an engineer because to increase in salaries in engineering, u have to keep upskilling urself upto the latest tech in market and become perfect in ur coding skills , which is not everyone's cup of tea. But again in law firms working long hours is also not everyone's cup of tea
Hearing? Nope I am aware of extreme nepotism and how hard it is to build ur name from scratch in self practice, I am talking about law firm jobs and ye idk if anything I said is not realistic
World has seen, atleast Indians mfs, Engineers, MBAs and other mainstream guy graduate, work , get settled and retire so it's the status quo career option. How many lawyers do u know who started off and are now settled in life, even after a sapn of 15+ years? Hawa me pul bana rhe h ham log bass.
Self practice se success hona to obviously bht mushkil h due to nepotism as I got from here , and corporate lawyers are only chosen from top NLUs which alot of students r not even aware of, no one in my family is well aware about NLUs or clat, that's why. If they knew any corporate lawyer who has worked 10-15 years they would have advised the newer generation of my family to go there ( uhh u can debate it and say they would have seen the toxic work culture side more and advised against it but money wins while bragging or advising on careers for most doesn't it?
12 hours anybody would love to work bud, but for what you are striving you would need to put on an average of 17-18 hours daily, if you are ready for it then bring it on. Also A T1 NLU doesnt guarantee a T1 Firm so keep that in mind. All the best
17-18? Oh come on i thought most is 15 , ye i am fine with 18 once in a month or so in initial years
Ab itna bol hi diye hai toh 24 hi bol dete. No, law firms don't make you work for 18 hours daily!! 18 hours is a rarity!