Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
I have been doing litigation in Delhi for 7 Years and want to continue doing the same, but then there are days when I feel low, I self-doubt myself, and wonder if I will be able to sustain myself. What's your strategy to cope with the same and how do you deal with the uncertainty?
this thread needs to get attention. if someone here can give any inputs on this.

i am also in the same kind of boat
Left litigation after 2 years to move into business. Haven’t ever regretted that decision. Glad I didn’t waste 5-7 years to gather the courage.
OMG. Some people said that slogging for a few years in litigation could make one earn adequate enough to not just feed themselves but their families. Doesn't 7 years of experience enable somewhat a financial plank? If not, then those who sell this dream that litigation mai khoob Paisa hai baad Mai are no different than directors of coaching centres who tell students NLU ke baad mauj hi mauj hai.
We dont.There is no certainty ever.

The sense of security you are looking for is what drives most people into corporate law jobs.

I am surprised that you are asking about it after 7 PQE. Everyone knows about the challenging road of Litigation as soon as they intern in/join them.

Things are not better even in DHC or SC, only top 1-5% earn luxury level of income, rest 10-75% make average and rest just drag their practise and carry on.
There is way more stability as a corporate lawyer. In litigation - you can win a matter and also lose a matter. Retaining the client after losing the matter is extremely tough. Often bills don't get cleared post a loss. In corporate, the downside risk is that the transaction doesn't close, more often than not that's on commercial issues and the client hasn't lost - his capital is still intact. Litigation is for those who are either deeply passionate about it or have a family legacy to carry forward.
Many of my colleagues have left litigation to join law firms. Being a first generation lawyer, sustenance was difficult for them, and they didn't want to risk it for long.
People usually try to make contacts and apply for panels. That helps a great deal.
Been doing it for 12 years and don't regret it, even a bit. Litigation is perhaps the most unstable practice in law but also the most challenging and importantly, most satisfying. I am a 1st gen lawyer and can relate to you. Earning a livelihood as an individual litigator can break even the toughest nut.

Here are few things to do

1. Don't compare your success/ failures with others. Especially with those who have previleged background. Remember their starting points are different then yours. You have your own journey to complete

2. Instead of comparing the failures/ successes, strive to achieve excellence. Work hard.

3. Read. And not just law. Gather knowledge and information. You don't know whom you meet next and what conversation could lead you to a jack pot

4. Choose your role models wisely. There are several to choose from in the legal fraternity. While they are all successful, not many may be able to contribute to your overall growth. I don't mean growth as a lawyer. I am told Palkhivala was far greater individual than he was a lawyer. Similarly, Tulzapurkars in Mumbai are known to lead a uniquely simple lives but are legends in law.

5. Travel. You don't need to spend on abroad trips. Do a simple trek once in a while.

6. Lastly, if nothing of these help, read/ listen to struggle stories of other legends in law. Eg. Roses in December book of J. Chagla. You will find several you tube videos of others as well. Even if they are peppered for viewers, it leaves a hope.

I know these sounds like unwarranted, overused and abused advices. But it might help.
Fairly long at the Bar. First generation lawyer and not from Delhi but practising in Delhi like many others. Yes, it is difficult to sustain, but trust me, every month, either at the start, or in the middle or towards the end, you will get that one case or fee that will sustain you. That's how we survive. That's how many before us have survived and went onto survive for the rest of their respective lives without realising that that one case eventually became two, three, four and many for few and few more for most. But our struggles are the same. Some will openly acknowledge it and some will not, but everyone knows that that's how it is.

My advice, as our friend above has said - stay grounded, work hard, fee or no fee - do your best in all your cases - as that you owe to your client and live each day as it happens. Make a monthly budget and stick to it. Always try to save first for the current month/ week and if there is still something extra - save it for the next. Splurge only and only if you have saved for the monthly allocation for the next 2-3 months. The theory of comparative advantage is valid for us lawyers as well. No two persons, even if coming from similar backgrounds, will have the same journey. There are many factors that come into play. So never compare yourself with someone else. You are the only standard for you to compare. If you are better than what you were earlier - you are growing.

Lastly, relax. we all survive and there is nothing better than litigation - that moment when you stand at the dias and argue - it compensates for every hardship one may have faced to reach there. We are performers thats why we are litigators.
Use spare time to identify seniors and talking to them in person (even if you detest this). Ask them for tips for success and if they would like any paid assistance?